2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 11:14 PM)
David Price is right, and he shouldn't have to apologize, even though he did. That market simply cannot support major league baseball.

Neither Florida team can. They were pretty stupid to put two teams at once down there like that. I can't believe the Marlins duped the taxpayers into building them a new stadium when they can't get more than a thousand people to their current games.

One of those two teams will move in the near future, probably the Rays.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 08:39 AM)
Neither Florida team can. They were pretty stupid to put two teams at once down there like that. I can't believe the Marlins duped the taxpayers into building them a new stadium when they can't get more than a thousand people to their current games.

One of those two teams will move in the near future, probably the Rays.

What city is out there hunting for an MLB Team?

I think part of it is that those cities might have a shot at supporting a team, but neither one of them has had the facilities to do so.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 08:03 AM)

I think part of it is that those cities might have a shot at supporting a team, but neither one of them has had the facilities to do so.

I'm not sure which cities are looking for teams, but there are some pretty populous areas out there with no teams. Off of the top of my head, there's New Orleans, Charlotte, Portland, Oklahoma City, Memphis, Nashville, Louisville, and Las Vegas.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 08:03 AM)

Most lists I see have some combination of: Portland, Charlotte, Nashville, Las Vegas, San Antonio/McAllen, Salt Lake City, Albuquerque/Santa Fe, and San Juan PR.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 09:26 AM)
I'm not sure which cities are looking for teams, but there are some pretty populous areas out there with no teams. Off of the top of my head, there's New Orleans, Charlotte, Portland, Oklahoma City, Memphis, Nashville, Louisville, and Las Vegas.

New Orleans is still a disaster and a shrunken city, I don't see them being viable. Nashville is Memphis but with money and no Cardinals nearby, so Nashville wins out there. Louisville is very near Cincy. And I hadn't heard OKC before for baseball, that might be interesting.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 09:50 AM)
Most lists I see have some combination of: Portland, Charlotte, Nashville, Las Vegas, San Antonio/McAllen, Salt Lake City, Albuquerque/Santa Fe, and San Juan PR.

New Orleans is still a disaster and a shrunken city, I don't see them being viable. Nashville is Memphis but with money and no Cardinals nearby, so Nashville wins out there. Louisville is very near Cincy. And I hadn't heard OKC before for baseball, that might be interesting.

I was only thinking of populous cities not in California or Texas. The point is that there ought to be plenty of options.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Sep 30, 2010 -> 11:18 PM)
He ABSOLUTELY OBLITERATED that ball on the grand slam.

And the Twins are playing s***ty baseball at just the right time too. If they get swept in the playoffs again, I'm going to be pissed. I get really, really tired of losing the division to those POS's year after year only to see them get trampled on, because it makes a statement about the AL Central and the White Sox in general, when really, I don't think any team is going to beat the Twins during their typical hot stretches.

Hopefully they just have their light switched turned off right now, and they know where it is and can turn it on before the playoffs start.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 30, 2010 -> 11:08 PM)
After tonight's game, Jose Bautista has 54 home runs.

Of those 54, 53 of them have been pulled, in some manner. His final homer of the night tonight was his first homer of the year to RF.

Not just of the year, but of his whole career: Got this from Buster Olney's column:

Here's Bautista's career HR breakdown:

Left field: 103

Center: 9

Right field: 1

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 1, 2010 -> 12:37 AM)
Whatever pharmacist Jose Bautista hired, I hope he's being compensated very well for his efforts (as long as he doesn't get caught).

I don't think it has anything to do with steroids. I think he just genuinely made a correction in his swing mechanics and he's been hitting the ball with a ton of power. On top of that, his confidence is through the roof, and that has to help his psyche at the plate.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 1, 2010 -> 01:09 PM)
I don't think it has anything to do with steroids. I think he just genuinely made a correction in his swing mechanics and he's been hitting the ball with a ton of power. On top of that, his confidence is through the roof, and that has to help his psyche at the plate.

I'd like to be the one responding the way you are...but my brain just can't be convinced that completely unexpected 50 HR seasons are clean yet.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 1, 2010 -> 12:58 PM)
I'd like to be the one responding the way you are...but my brain just can't be convinced that completely unexpected 50 HR seasons are clean yet.

I'm with you on that. After what I have seen the last 20 years and knowing that there is still stuff out there that MLB won't detect in drug testing, I just can't believe that fixing a sudden hole in his swing can add that much power. I wish I could believe it, but the McGwires, Bret Boones, Clemens & Co. make it impossible for me right now.