2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 8, 2010 -> 10:01 AM)
That's an old story. Or I have psychic visions without even realizing it.

This is an update though. His ex-girlfriend had accused him of having HIV without telling him when he was with a different woman who supported him. That same woman who supported him became his wife, and then his ex-wife, and she is now claiming the same exact things as the ex-girlfriend.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 8, 2010 -> 06:43 AM)
Not sure where this should go, but how about all the blown calls going down so far?

- Golson clearly catches the ball in the 9th, ump rules it a trap

- Michael Young's checked swing non-call, hits a 3-run homer the next pitch

- Berkman gets a 4th strike, crushes a big double next pitch (found 31 bad ball/strike calls by Wendelstedt last night)

- Posey is out stealing, called safe, scores the only run in a 1-0 SF victory

It's like deja vu all over again from last year

I was just thinking about the bad umpiring so far. It has to be a concern. We saw enough bad umpiring during the regular season (although most of what we saw was the Joe West crew being assholes). I'd be pissed if those bad calls were affecting my team in the playoffs.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Oct 8, 2010 -> 10:08 AM)
I was just thinking about the bad umpiring so far. It has to be a concern. We saw enough bad umpiring during the regular season (although most of what we saw was the Joe West crew being assholes). I'd be pissed if those bad calls were affecting my team in the playoffs.

Well, to be fair, bad umpiring did affect your team in the playoffs, and as a direct result, they won a World Series.

I'm just glad I'm not an Angels or Astros fan.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 8, 2010 -> 10:17 AM)
Well, to be fair, bad umpiring did affect your team in the playoffs, and as a direct result, they won a World Series.

I'm just glad I'm not an Angels or Astros fan.

Good point. I guess we always look at the bad calls that adversely affect our team. Bad calls that go the other way are usually ignored.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 13, 2010 -> 10:15 PM)
Expos won the "division Series" or whatever they called it in 1981. They beat the Phillies, and then lost to the Dodgers in the NLCS.

I just had to look that up because it made no sense to me. For anyone wondering: Due to an extended player strike in the middle of the 1981 season. The season was divided into two halves with the first and second half champs facing each other in a divisional round prior to the league championship series.

QUOTE (G&T @ Oct 18, 2010 -> 08:11 PM)
I just had to look that up because it made no sense to me. For anyone wondering: Due to an extended player strike in the middle of the 1981 season. The season was divided into two halves with the first and second half champs facing each other in a divisional round prior to the league championship series.

Haha you're not the only one who had to look that up.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 18, 2010 -> 11:20 PM)
Pitching 200 innings pretty much every year helps.

Which in itself is valuable, wouldn't you say?

I think its strange, people are saying he's so overpaid at $14M/year. I think they are looking at his 2010, and where he fit into the Sox rotation (as a more or less 3/4 guy), and think he's not worth it. To me, he's still a bargain at that price, unless you think he's going to head downhill from here. Looking at his career numbers, he's pretty consistently a 3.75-4.00 ERA pitcher who gives you 200+ IP every year, and defends his position well. On most AL team's, looking at his typical numbers, he's a 2/3 guy, and could be better in the NL. That's worth a lot, given his durability.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 19, 2010 -> 08:57 AM)

I think its strange, people are saying he's so overpaid at $14M/year. I think they are looking at his 2010, and where he fit into the Sox rotation (as a more or less 3/4 guy), and think he's not worth it. To me, he's still a bargain at that price, unless you think he's going to head downhill from here. Looking at his career numbers, he's pretty consistently a 3.75-4.00 ERA pitcher who gives you 200+ IP every year, and defends his position well. On most AL team's, looking at his typical numbers, he's a 2/3 guy, and could be better in the NL. That's worth a lot, given his durability.

I wouldn't say he's a bargain, that's taking it to the other extreme. The big problem with baseball contracts, though not Buehrle's, is that they are generally back loaded when in reality, most players play well during the first years of the contract (when they are cheap) and they inevitably turn to mediocrity a few years into the contract, when they get expensive. I think it's a flawed line of thinking, but teams are willing to do is so they can get their most bang for the buck this year and basically pay off their credit card bill 3 years down the line.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 19, 2010 -> 01:16 PM)
I wouldn't say he's a bargain, that's taking it to the other extreme. The big problem with baseball contracts, though not Buehrle's, is that they are generally back loaded when in reality, most players play well during the first years of the contract (when they are cheap) and they inevitably turn to mediocrity a few years into the contract, when they get expensive. I think it's a flawed line of thinking, but teams are willing to do is so they can get their most bang for the buck this year and basically pay off their credit card bill 3 years down the line.

Its the "Yankees will take him later" model.

Yeah, bargain is an overstatement, you are probably right. But I think he's certainly living up to price value.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 19, 2010 -> 04:04 PM)
Its the "Yankees will take him later" model.

Yeah, bargain is an overstatement, you are probably right. But I think he's certainly living up to price value.

I would agree. The 3 years he's been with the Sox since resigning, he's put up two very good seasons and a solid 3rd season. He looks like he may be wearing down a bit probably because he has 2300+ MLB innings on his arm, both regular season and postseason, and I think he'll probably be better next year too.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 19, 2010 -> 08:57 AM)

Yeah, I wasn't saying him pitching 200 innings is a bad thing.

Value comes from playing time.