2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 03:05 PM)
Which gets the smaller picture-in-picture screen? Sox baseball or P90X? :)

Hah, I have two flatscreens in my place, so they can each get their own screen. The real question is, which gets the sound? ;)

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 12:35 AM)
Justin Upton contract extension is official now...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4962429

6 years, 51.25 million.. only 22 years old.. and already a monster.

Absolute bargain of a contract considering how ridiculously talented he is. 22 years old? Good god.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 6, 2010 -> 02:53 PM)
A stiff back in March isn't a very good omen for the upcoming season.

I don't wish ill will on anyone, but this dude is just a walking disaster.

Does he actually work out to try and avoid such frequent injury?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 6, 2010 -> 02:09 PM)
I don't wish ill will on anyone, but this dude is just a walking disaster.

Does he actually work out to try and avoid such frequent injury?

Look at his body. He does not have what you would call a "baseball body." In fact, he is very disproportionate from head to toe, but the man can get on base when healthy.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 7, 2010 -> 01:05 AM)
Look at his body. He does not have what you would call a "baseball body." In fact, he is very disproportionate from head to toe, but the man can get on base when healthy.

Right, so one would think he would do everything in his power to STAY HEALTHY.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 7, 2010 -> 04:50 PM)
The Rays don't even need Blalock. The only thing he'd be able to do for them is DH and fill in at 1B or 3B once a week.

I'd rather have Burrell as a full-time DH.

I think the Rays would have also.

But the guy who played only 412 AB's last year and gave them a .682 OPS out of the DH spot wasn't exactly the pat Burrell anyone would have picked.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 7, 2010 -> 03:54 PM)
I think the Rays would have also.

But the guy who played only 412 AB's last year and gave them a .682 OPS out of the DH spot wasn't exactly the pat Burrell anyone would have picked.

He should rebound. He was hurt last year wasn't he?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 7, 2010 -> 04:57 PM)
He should rebound. He was hurt last year wasn't he?

Yeah, but there's no reason to assume he'll be 100% healthy again this year, he is 34, so it's at least sensible to offer Blalock a minor league deal and sensible for him to accept it sine he'd probably get some playing time.

3 umpire supervisors fired over blown 2009 playoff calls.

Major League Baseball, angry over the abundance of blown umpiring calls in the 2009 postseason, has fired three of its seven ump supervisors.

Marty Springstead, Rich Garcia and Jim McKean, each involved in umpiring for 40 or more years, were fired on Jan. 12. They received the news by telephone.

"I was totally shocked," said Springstead, who began his umpiring career in 1960. "Fifty years, and I get a four-minute phone call to say good-bye? They didn't give us a lot of reasons."

Randy Marsh and Charlie Reliford, two umpires who retired after last season, have been hired as replacements. Ed Montague, who retired after 34 years, also is in negotiations about a supervisor's job.

"I'm sad about it, I'm going to miss it," said Garcia, who umpired in 12 postseasons during his 25-year big-league career. "It's certainly not what I wanted to happen. I can walk away proud of the work I've done."

MLB did not cite a specific reason for the firings. Rob Manfred, MLB executive vice president, said, "The change in supervisors is part of our ongoing effort to make our organization as strong as possible."

Yet, Springstead said it was directly related to the errant calls in last year's postseason.

Crew chief Tim McClelland, along with veteran umpires Phil Cuzzi and C.B. Bucknor, each blew key calls during the American League division and championship series. They retained their jobs.

Umpire supervisors serve as liaisons between the umpires and MLB, recommending umpires for postseason, but not making final selections.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 7, 2010 -> 09:24 PM)
Interesting. So the MLB is essentially saying these supervisors recommended the wrong umpires for the postseason, and it cost them their jobs.

Whoever recommended Bucknor should have been fired before the series even started.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 7, 2010 -> 09:24 PM)
Interesting. So the MLB is essentially saying these supervisors recommended the wrong umpires for the postseason, and it cost them their jobs.

good to see something actually happened. I don't expect umpires to be perfect, but the job that was done in the postseason was a complete joke.

I managed to buttonhole Michael Lewis, and got this bit of news: the rebooted Moneyball movie, scripted by Aaron Sorkin, is scheduled to start shooting in June. According to Lewis, Brad Pitt's still going to play Billy Beane. But Demetri Martin's out as Paul DePodesta. Instead -- ready for this? -- the ex-football player and Harvard graduate will be portrayed by ... Jonah Hill.
Neyer