2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like now the Red Sox need a new SS.. Officially at least.

The Red Sox have declined a $6 million option on shortstop Alex Gonzalez, according to the Boston Globe. The report cited an unnamed source.

The move would not preclude the Red Sox from trying to bring Gonzalez back at a lesser price.

Gonzalez, 32, plugged a big hole at short for Boston after being acquired from Cincinnati in a waiver deal this August. He made just one error in 44 games with the Sox and provided unexpected help offensively, hitting .284 with five home runs.

The move seemingly leaves the Red Sox without a reliable option at shortstop as Jed Lowrie was limited to 68 at-bats in 2009 because of injury.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 8, 2009 -> 04:41 PM)
I don't even recall him getting traded to the Red Sox. Shows how much I paid attention to baseball this season.

Prior to the Teahen trade...the Red Sox overpaying for Ramirez and thinning out our IF looked more plausible.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 8, 2009 -> 10:14 PM)
As much sense trading Alexei makes, it doesn't. Given his salary over the next two years, he is a tremendously valuable asset to this organization, even with the errors. To go along with that, his value isn't as great to a team like the Red Sox, who are in a whole other hemisphere in terms of payroll restrictions.

Absolutely. I would say in most spots you should atleast call and find out what they might think of offering - and maybe you still do - but when they also have Jed Lowrie hanging around, I don't think you can count on getting a hell of a lot from Boston for Alexei. If they absolutely had no other option for SS in house and were that close to a World Series, I'd say you may have something, but in this instance, I don't think it's the right place. You might get one good prospect and a decent prospect or two, and that's just not worth moving Alexei.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 8, 2009 -> 08:14 PM)
As much sense trading Alexei makes, it doesn't. Given his salary over the next two years, he is a tremendously valuable asset to this organization, even with the errors. To go along with that, his value isn't as great to a team like the Red Sox, who are in a whole other hemisphere in terms of payroll restrictions.

For an Ellsbury and a power arm for the pen it makes a bit more sense, imo. I think there could be some legitimacy to the idea of a Ramirez and Jenks for Ellsbury and a power arm or two.