2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 01:08 PM)
And he really didn't deny it, which is interesting all by itself.

Ya he's going to undergo concealing, frequent testing and he apologized.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/base...gton/index.html

"I did make a mistake and I regret that I did it," Washington told SI.com by phone from Surprise, Ariz., on Tuesday night. "I am really embarrassed and I am really sorry."

More quotes in link.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 08:31 AM)
I haven't been watching the TV version much since there's a better option, but has anyone else felt this year like ESPN.com is putting out quite a bit more quality articles on the non-Boston/NY teams than they have in years past?

I've noticed it a bit too. I think they got tired of the Eastern Seaboard Programming Network image. Sportscenter in LA and starting these city centered Web sites (and making Chicago the first one) are signs that they wanted to shed that image. They're doing a decent job of following through on it too.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 02:08 PM)
And he really didn't deny it, which is interesting all by itself.

he admit to it but that he only did it once. really? at the age he is, he barely decided now to try it(last year), esp. with having hamilton on the team..

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 07:31 AM)
I haven't been watching the TV version much since there's a better option, but has anyone else felt this year like ESPN.com is putting out quite a bit more quality articles on the non-Boston/NY teams than they have in years past?

I agree. That was a fine article by Buster Onley. I really, really like this Alex Asapoopi (however you spell his last name). He's definitely got a solid plan in place.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 03:25 PM)
he admit to it but that he only did it once. really? at the age he is, he barely decided now to try it(last year), esp. with having hamilton on the team..

So if you're a player and you take some substance that might contain something on the banned list, you get 50 games and tarred and feathered for life. If you're a manager and do a little blow, you get no penalty? Why did they give him a drug test in the first place if there is absolutely no consequence for failing? No rehab, no suspension, no nothing. I'm pretty sure most people employed where drug tests occur probably wouldn't get off as easily if their test had the same result.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 06:52 PM)
So if you're a player and you take some substance that might contain something on the banned list, you get 50 games and tarred and feathered for life. If you're a manager and do a little blow, you get no penalty? Why did they give him a drug test in the first place if there is absolutely no consequence for failing? No rehab, no suspension, no nothing. I'm pretty sure most people employed where drug tests occur probably wouldn't get off as easily if their test had the same result.

He offered his job up immediately and the Rangers said they wouldnt make him resign. You are right though, totally crazy rules for PEDs vs recreational drugs.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 06:52 PM)

As I remember, no player gets suspended for their first positive recreational drug test either, it's a slap on the wrist (it goes up to 50 for the second, as that is what Miguel Negron is faced with). It seems as though MLB is trying to sweep recreational drug use under the rug. Consider that there are 700+ players in the major leagues - do you ever remember a player getting suspended for recreational drug use at the major league level? What are the odds that 0 out of 700 players test positive 2 times for a drug of abuse?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 04:13 PM)
You don't just try coke at what, 53? Considering the era Wash played in i'd be willing to be this isn't the first time it's touched his nose.

Mid-life crisis? LOL

And less action taken on recreational drug use doesn't bother me at all. Steroids give players a competitive advantage that is unfair to players that are clean. Recreational drugs do not give an advantage, and most likely hurt performance. I say let them destroy their own bodies if they want to, as long as it doesn't make them better at baseball

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 11:56 PM)
Mid-life crisis? LOL

And less action taken on recreational drug use doesn't bother me at all. Steroids give players a competitive advantage that is unfair to players that are clean. Recreational drugs do not give an advantage, and most likely hurt performance. I say let them destroy their own bodies if they want to, as long as it doesn't make them better at baseball

I am pretty sure nobody is worried that Ron Washington is getting an advantage from doing coke. And coke is speed, so it can give a player an advantage, its the reason that they spiked their coffee with speed back in the day

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 09:16 PM)
As I remember, no player gets suspended for their first positive recreational drug test either, it's a slap on the wrist (it goes up to 50 for the second, as that is what Miguel Negron is faced with). It seems as though MLB is trying to sweep recreational drug use under the rug. Consider that there are 700+ players in the major leagues - do you ever remember a player getting suspended for recreational drug use at the major league level? What are the odds that 0 out of 700 players test positive 2 times for a drug of abuse?

In the majors one offense with a stimulant is a slap on the wrist. The second offense is 50, and the third is 80.

Minor leaguers and major leaguers (on the 40) get suspended/fined on an entirely different scale than one another... with the minors being much stricter of the two. In the minors you can get suspended heavily (50 games) for something you will only receive a warning for if on the 40 man roster. Hell, as recently as this past decade players in the majors were suspended by days rather than games. In the minors players have always been suspended by games.

This is the most recent joint drug agreement.

http://mlbplayers.mlb.com/pa/pdf/jda.pdf

Here is a recent example of suspensions varying from the minors to the majors.

Texas Rangers minor league pitcher Daniel Gutierrez has received a 50-game suspension by Major League Baseball after testing positive for an amphetamine, a performance-enhancing substance.

The suspension will be effective at the start of the 2010 season.

Gutierrez, who is on the Double-A Frisco roster, told the Rangers he tested positive for a small amount of Adderall, a drug used to treat Attention Deficit Disorder. Gutierrez told the Rangers he had a prescription for the drug but did not apply for a Therapeutic Use Exemption waiver through the league.

"I sincerely apologize to the Texas Rangers organization, Major League Baseball, and to my family for my failure to comply with the Minor League Drug Policy by failing to apply for and obtain a TUE," said Gutierrez, through his agent Greg Genske, in a statement. "I understand that it was my responsibility to obtain a TUE even though the drug was prescribed by a doctor, and that I have let down myself and many others with my failure to do so. I greatly appreciate the support of the Texas Rangers front office and I am determined to serve as a better role model in the future."

Gutierrez was given an automatic 50-game suspension, as the rules state for a minor league player in violation of the substance abuse policy. Had Gutierrez been on the 40-man roster, he would have only received a warning under MLB rules.

"We're disappointed," Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said. "While it appears this may have been the result of taking a legal drug, it demonstrates poor judgement that Danny didn't let us know he needed a TUE, and that violates MLB's program. It's a setback, as he appeared ready for a strong year beginning in Frisco's rotation. With hard work, that's still possible."

Gutierrez will spend his suspension in Surprise, Ariz., and is allowed to fully participate in spring training and extended spring games. He will report to minor league camp for spring workouts in March.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/news/story?id=4906579

===============================================================================

''Major League Baseball’s collectively bargained drug policy has undergone changes, adding 12 new performance-enhancing drugs, and 30 new stimulants that players will be tested for''...

http://www.bizofbaseball.com/index.php?opt...s&Itemid=42

There is no up to this very moment pdf version of the joint drug agreement (with these add ons) to my knowledge... which is why i said what i said up top.

===============================================================================

Here is an outdated link, but the point still applies. This is in regards to how much different the suspensions/fines varied (still do) from the minors to majors. The old agreement was nothing short of a joke, not that it's anything extravagant at this stage.

http://www.mlnsports.com/baseball/features...5/03/21/01.html

The whole Joba Rules thing is really coming back to bite the Yankees in the ass... They baby-ed him too much and now he's gonna just wind up in the bullpen.

I don't have all the stats, but I'm sure there have been plenty of young power pitchers who broke into the league recently who weren't on any sort of innings program and threw enough to grow and pitch more and more and are fine...

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 18, 2010 -> 04:11 PM)
I always thought that Chamberlain was destined to be their next closer. It's hard to imagine him as a starter.

He has the 4 pitches, but wasn't the only reason he dropped to the Yankees in the draft health concerns anyway?