2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 09:16 PM)
As I remember, no player gets suspended for their first positive recreational drug test either, it's a slap on the wrist (it goes up to 50 for the second, as that is what Miguel Negron is faced with). It seems as though MLB is trying to sweep recreational drug use under the rug. Consider that there are 700+ players in the major leagues - do you ever remember a player getting suspended for recreational drug use at the major league level? What are the odds that 0 out of 700 players test positive 2 times for a drug of abuse?

I'm sure you're probably right, but Washington isn't in the union. If the union ever goes on strike, Washington would continue to collect checks. He just admitted to greenies and pot as a player. I have a feeling Ronnie isn't going to be making out the line up card for the Rangers too much longer. It might be an upset if he makes it to opening day.

Though this happens all the time with teams and drafting prospects lower in the draft (though potential high picks), and fail to sign, but I love how one of the best SP in the game (best in the NL for sure) slips through two teams I don't like at all.

Oh what could have been for the Cubs and especially the Indians..

Cleveland Offered Lincecum $700k In 2005

18th March, 2010 - 11:10 am

Plain Dealer - The Indians drafted Tim Lincecum in the 42nd round of the 2005 MLB Draft.

Cleveland made him a $700,000 offer, much to the chagrin of Frank Coonelly, who was in charge of the draft's unofficial slotting system for MLB. Coonelly is now president of the Pittsburgh Pirates.

The Indians had already gone over slot specifications with a couple of other players and Coonelly was unhappy with the offer.

Lincecum said no after asking for $1M and went to the Cape Cod League that summer and pitched well. He returned to college for the 2006 season and was the 10th player taken in the draft. The Giants paid him $2.025 million.

The Indians weren't the only team that drafted Lincecum and failed to sign him. The Cubs took him with the 48th pick in 2003

Edited by SoxAce

Washington will be fired shortly or resign. He's not going to be able to get past this critism's. I don't usually agree with Phil Rogers, but he's right regarding Washington.

There is no way he can succeed. Texas hits one bad spell and he's out.

At some point though, you have to draw a line and play the Mark McGwire card in regards to the whole situation though. And this isn't something that you ever have to talk about at a later date.

Maybe the Rangers will appreciate his honesty, but when information like that comes out, it's very hard to put trust in someone.

I just can't imagine the bulls*** old Ronny W was spewing to Josh Hamilton when he was acquired... crap about believing in him, about being there for him. I can't imagine having a manager so obviously disregard your best player's plight and comeback.

I'd have fired him immediately. There's 30 of these jobs out there, and he clearly doesn't take his seriously enough.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 12:42 PM)
I just can't imagine the bulls*** old Ronny W was spewing to Josh Hamilton when he was acquired... crap about believing in him, about being there for him. I can't imagine having a manager so obviously disregard your best player's plight and comeback.

I'd have fired him immediately. There's 30 of these jobs out there, and he clearly doesn't take his seriously enough.

You say that as if Washington had the cocaine on a platter in the locker room & asked Hamilton if he wanted to get in on some.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 04:44 PM)
You say that as if Washington had the cocaine on a platter in the locker room & asked Hamilton if he wanted to get in on some.

I think this is a biger deal then you're making it. The Rangers organization has an obligation to Josh Hamilton to protect him from drugs, Wash blatantly disregarded these rules. We saw how easily tempted Hamilton is, and to have someone who he looks up to, use it on a whim is unforgivable. It might be a flight of fancy for Wash, but for Hamilton it's an addiction.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 04:32 PM)
I think this is a biger deal then you're making it. The Rangers organization has an obligation to Josh Hamilton to protect him from drugs, Wash blatantly disregarded these rules. We saw how easily tempted Hamilton is, and to have someone who he looks up to, use it on a whim is unforgivable. It might be a flight of fancy for Wash, but for Hamilton it's an addiction.

Is Josh Hamilton 13 years old or a grown man? Sorry, I don't feel for Josh at all. It's on him and only him to stay away from drugs. It doesn't matter what Washington does.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 05:32 PM)

How is that the case? I think Hamilton has an obligation to the Rangers to stay clean and hit a baseball cause thats what they are paying him millions of dollars for. Unless Washington was snorting lines in the locker room begging Hamilton to join in, I don't see why hes the scapegoat now. If Washington goes out with friends and gets drunk one night, is it his fault if Hamilton lapses and drinks a week later???

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 07:02 PM)
Is Josh Hamilton 13 years old or a grown man? Sorry, I don't feel for Josh at all. It's on him and only him to stay away from drugs. It doesn't matter what Washington does.

No, but he is a drug addict. And that’s not exactly an easy addiction to kick. Hamilton has surrounded himself with people he can trust in the Rangers locker room, and the Rangers sought to do the same by bringing in Johnny Narron to look after him. For Hamilton’s’ coach to so blatantly disregard not only the rules of major league baseball, but the condition of a guy who shakes every time he hears someone mention the words, “drugs or alcohol” is ridiculously dim-witted and certainly a fireable offense. This is guy who has been given clear instructions to maintain a civil and mature atmosphere in a locker room he’s violated every form of trust.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 04:40 PM)
No, that's actually not how I said it.

Fine, you said Washington basically had to be Hamilton's role model. That better?

Hamilton's a grown ass man, the organization doesn't have an obligation to him. He has an obligation to them to stay clean. I doubt Hamilton hears that Wash did coke & now he thinks it's okay. If he does, he obviously doesn't have his s*** straight.

I suppose when he relapsed & got drunk that one night that was someone in the org.'s fault?

So again with the point I made earlier, unless Wash was serving up coke in the locker room then he's not disregarding Hamilton.

I strongly disagree with this. The Rangers only obligation is to run a professional organization and from what I know about recovering addicts, they would never expect someone else to have an obligation to keep them clean, that's a personal struggle that they have.

While I do not believe that it is the Rangers obligation to protect Hamilton from drugs, it is somewhat of a responsibility that they undertook when they took a chance on him. True, Hamilton is a grown(ass) man, but he very obviously struggles with addiction and probably needs something similar to what Aerosmith had back when they all kicked the hard drugs, which is a constant security detail that is there to protect you from yourself, not be your own personal bodyguard/buddy. This is probably something that should be provided by Hamilton, not by the Rangers.

I think that Washington is a separate issue from that however. If Hamilton wanted access to coke, I doubt he would go to his manager and ask him for some, I am fairly sure he would know where to go. The problem I have with Washington is that he originally said "I tried it once", and now it has become "Well I did amphetamines and pot as a player too". I have no doubt in my mind that Washington has done coke for a long time, it may not be proven, but I highly doubt that he just so happened to try it for the first time ever in his life only to be told right afterwards that he had to pee in a cup. It is beyond ridiculous. I really do not know what the Rangers are hanging on to him for, it is a bad example to their FANS, not to Hamilton.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 08:44 AM)
i was reading on mlbrumors that the twins are going to have nathan throw and then see if he will be able to pitch through the torn ligament. cant that be bad for nathan , or be bad for him in the future?

He's 35. You kind of wonder if surgery is even worth it for him if he won't be the same. I'm thinking surgery is a last resort for him.