2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 09:55 AM)
He's 35. You kind of wonder if surgery is even worth it for him if he won't be the same. I'm thinking surgery is a last resort for him.

i just dont understand how u could even pitch through something like that. i doubt he will be able to. he had to stop because it was hurting and i dont think that by resting it a little , itll be all fine and he'll be able to pitch the whole year and be effective. i think hes done (well as far as this year goes)

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 05:38 PM)
That sounds right. It gives them room to give him a promotion and still have him up in June or July if all goes well.

I think it's pretty silly, actually. What happened to the best 25 games breaking camp? He's unquestionably the best pitcher on the team. All this babying/coddling we have nowadays with young pitchers is very annoying.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 06:42 PM)
I think it's pretty silly, actually. What happened to the best 25 games breaking camp? He's unquestionably the best pitcher on the team. All this babying/coddling we have nowadays with young pitchers is very annoying.

I don't think it has a single thing to do with coddling, they'll keep him in the minors until June when it'll be impossible to earn a year of service (earning them an extra year of control) and he won't be Super 2 eligible down the road. It's a business decision through and through.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 07:28 PM)
I don't think it has a single thing to do with coddling, they'll keep him in the minors until June when it'll be impossible to earn a year of service (earning them an extra year of control) and he won't be Super 2 eligible down the road. It's a business decision through and through.

yea,this is completely a money issue. i had read on mlbrumors that some writer wrote its going to save them between 16-18mil potentially if they keep him off the roster till late may

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 06:28 PM)

exactly.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 05:42 PM)

Not to mention, it is March 20th and the Nationals already don't have a chance at winning their division. It is more important to keep the guy around for a year down the road when they might be good, versus today when they are horrible.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 06:28 PM)

Well, yeah. I should've mentioned the obvious business side of it. But all offseason we've heard how it'd be better for Strausburg to "fail" in the minors opposed to starting in the majors and possibly struggling. As if a couple bad starts with the Nationals could possibly destroy his confidence for life. But, yeah, it ultimately comes down to that extra year of control. It just irks me how these GM's act like spring training performance will dictate whether certain players make the opening roster or not. They obviously knew from the start that no matter how Strasburg performed that he wasn't going to break camp. But whatever.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 07:28 PM)

Plus, with a (somewhat) brightening future, if the Nats are contending later down the road, lets say in the final year of team control, it'll be nice to have him around.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 08:44 AM)
Pujols is having back spasms, went in for an MRI, got an anti-inflammation shot.

There's very little possibility that they use an injection for muscle spasms in a professional athlete. The injection was to decrease inflammation around a nerve. The muscle spasms are there to protect the nerves from the instability in the spine.

He could be in some trouble this year.

PS. Hmmmm lots of soft tissue injuries (knee, plantar fasciitis) progressing to lower back problems. Sounds a lot like what happened to McGwire.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 08:31 PM)
There's very little possibility that they use an injection for muscle spasms in a professional athlete. The injection was to decrease inflammation around a nerve. The muscle spasms are there to protect the nerves from the instability in the spine.

PS. Hmmmm lots of soft tissue injuries (knee, plantar fasciitis) progressing to lower back problems. Sounds a lot like what happened to McGwire.

When did he have a knee problem? I know he's had 2 surgeries on his right elbow, a strained calf, Plantar Fasciitis, the strained oblique and some lower back problems early in '06 but the only problem he's had with his knee that I'm aware of was a contusion from sliding in '08. I'm not disagreeing with you or anything, I'm just curious for the sake of continuity. Wasn't the oblique injury a red flag?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 10:09 PM)
When did he have a knee problem? I know he's had 2 surgeries on his right elbow, a strained calf, Plantar Fasciitis, the strained oblique and some lower back problems early in '06 but the only problem he's had with his knee that I'm aware of was a contusion from sliding in '08. I'm not disagreeing with you or anything, I'm just curious for the sake of continuity. Wasn't the oblique injury a red flag?

I can't find the knee problem now that I look back. I thought a previous chronic soft tissue injury was the knee. Must have been the recurrent elbow problems.

The number of chronic soft tissue injuries was my point.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 09:31 PM)

Are you insinuating what I think that you're insinuating about Pujols? :ph34r: