2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 03:50 PM)
Verlander, Porcello, Scherzer, Bonderman, Willis.

If the White Sox put out a rotation with a back end like that...well, I'd hope we wouldn't draft some douchey infielder named Gordon with our top 10 pick.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's a little odd is that Robertson's outpitched Willis this spring, at least statistically. In 20 innings, Robertson's struck out 19 and walked seven. In 15 innings, Willis has struck out 10 and walked eight (both of them have plunked two hitters).

I certainly wouldn't suggest those numbers are particularly meaningful. But considering Willis' recent history, you'd like to see a little more progress in the walks column.

So I suspect that Bonine (and eventually Armando Galarraga) will get more than a dozen starts this season. And I think McClary's right: the Tigers traded Robertson because they could get something for him (no word yet on how many millions of dollars they had to send along with him). That said, they didn't get much more than bupkus; for the moment it's fair to call Jay Voss -- whose upside is LOOGY in two or three years -- "bupkus-plus."

This looks to me like a cost-cutting move. And considering how many millions the Tigers have wasted in the last few years, you can hardly blame them for a bit of trimming.

Update: Early rumors are that the Tigers are paying almost all of Robertson's $10 million salary this season. Considering Voss's presumed future, that means Dave Dombrowski is essentially betting that Dontrelle Willis will be better than Robertson this season.

Neyer

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 03:58 PM)
Willis' extension from a few years back means he's still being paid a large sum of money. I suspect Robertsons' contract was a lot easier to eat then Willis would be.

Willis is making $12 million this year. The difference between the 2 is $2 million.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 02:02 PM)
Ian Kinsler looks to be headed for the DL again. http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

I gotta stop drafting this dude in fantasy.

At least early on.. :D

He's still good for .280-.350-.480-.800+ though.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 02:05 PM)
Damnit, Balta. Did you really have to do research to refute my point? :lolhitting

To be fair Robertson is at least an expiring. Willis still has I believe 3 years left. (he won't be a FA till 2013)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 04:07 PM)
To be fair Robertson is at least an expiring. Willis still has I believe 3 years left. (he won't be a FA till 2013)

Willis is a FA after this season as well

Dontrelle Willis lhp

3 years/$29M (2008-10)

* 3 years/$29M (2008-10)

o acquired by Detroit in trade from Florida 12/4/07

o signed extension with Detroit 12/20/07 (avoided arbitration)

o 08:$7M, 09:$10M, 10:$12M

o award bonuses: $0.5M for Cy Young ($0.2M for 2nd in vote, $0.1M for 3rd)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 10:09 AM)
Did you see the allstar game last year? Or the playoffs in 05? Obama has given plenty of love. He has some duties and pretending to support DC sports is one of them. GWB did it too I believe

Didn't Obama throw the first pitch out last year too though?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 02:46 PM)
Who does that put into the kitties 5th starter spot? Willis? Galaragga?

I thought Galarragga was a given in the 4th spot. I would think Bonderman and Willis would be fighting it out over the 5th spot

Verlander

Porcello

Scherzer

Gallarragga

Willis/Bonderman

edit: seeing this on the motownsports board

Per Official Tigers twitter:

"Willis will start 3rd game of season and Bonderman will start 5th game of the season"

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 09:19 PM)
The Mariners placed Ryan Garko on waivers and opted to keep 48 year old Mike Sweeney instead. Can't say I understand that move.

Thats is interesting. It seems like I keep hearing about good Ryan Garko is gonna be, and yet now hes 29, and he is still barely an average 1B. Sweeney hit .517 in spring training which earned him the spot. This makes Casey Kotchman the everyday 1st basemen instead of a platoon with Garko.

Rotowire says:

The M's figured Garko's defensive limitations made them worse than the lineup limitations that keeping Sweeney presents.

Former Stanford player. Wonder if KW is looking at him.. ;)

s*** I would take him as a 1B/DH, though I'm sure KW wants a LH stick. Dude has a career .351 OBP and he looks primed for a bounce back year after being brutal in that big SF park. Wonder if Seattle is looking at Kotchman more as potential.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 10:51 PM)
Former Stanford player. Wonder if KW is looking at him.. ;)

s*** I would take him as a 1B/DH, though I'm sure KW wants a LH stick. Dude has a career .351 OBP and he looks primed for a bounce back year after being brutal in that big SF park. Wonder if Seattle is looking at Kotchman more as potential.

I'd rather have him than Mark Kotsay.

He'd get much more playing time than Kotsay, although his defense at 1B isn't all that great.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 07:47 AM)
You do know he's actually only 36, correct?

I'm sure Kalapse would know that. Mike Sweeney has had so many nagging injuries over the years though, he might as well be 48, which is the joke I'd think.

He started declining around 2007, but he did still put up a .777 OPS last year. Garko's career average OPS is only 15 points higher than that, where as Sweeney's is in the mid 800's.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 09:01 AM)
I'm sure Kalapse would know that. Mike Sweeney has had so many nagging injuries over the years though, he might as well be 48, which is the joke I'd think.

He started declining around 2007, but he did still put up a .777 OPS last year. Garko's career average OPS is only 15 points higher than that, where as Sweeney's is in the mid 800's.

I'm finding myself citing Neyer's blog more and more this year.

I probably don't like Garko as much as Jon does. But the projections for him are really consistent, right around a .340 wOBA (which is pretty good). Sweeney's projections are all over the place, but average around .320-.325. That's obviously not a great difference, but ...

Well, I'm just not as optimistic about the Mariners as I'm supposed to be. I don't think they're going to win 90 games. I think 85 is a more reasonable guess, which means they'll have some competition for the division title and every dozen or two runs might be important. Like Jon, I was sort of hoping for a Garko/Kotchman platoon at first base. Or a Garko/Griffey platoon at DH. A Garko something.

According to Geoff Baker's primer, the M's are dumping Garko because:

1. they believe (rightly) that he's a lousy first baseman,

2. which means they're better off with Kotchman playing first base every day, and

3. with Jack Hannahan healthy (enough) they don't have the roster space for both Garko and Sweeney.

Left unexplained is why the M's are so wild about Sweeney. Do they think Sweeney's a better fielder than Garko? I doubt it. Do they think Sweeney's a better hitter than Garko? I doubt it. Do they think Sweeney's a better chemistry guy than Garko? Bingo.

I won't argue that chemistry doesn't matter. I will argue that there's room for only so many chemistry-based decisions, and that the M's are either right at or just over the reasonable limit.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 07:47 AM)
You do know he's actually only 36, correct?

Really? I don't know how old Mike Sweeney is? He's spent 300 games on the DL over the past 5 seasons alone including 2 knee surgeries in the past 3 years. He may have been on this earth for 36 years now but his body is significantly older than 36.