2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

ESPN is just basically saying F you to all non east coast teams... granted I haven't checked every game they've shown, but all the ones I've seen have featured the Mets, NYY or Boston Red Sox and while flipping through the channels I have seen multiple times on BBTN that they have had 2 rotating members of ESPN Radio in NY on the set... Well, guess like my MLBN viewership over ESPN will be 100% this year instead of 95%... it's just ridiculous...

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 03:02 PM)
ESPN is just basically saying F you to all non east coast teams... granted I haven't checked every game they've shown, but all the ones I've seen have featured the Mets, NYY or Boston Red Sox and while flipping through the channels I have seen multiple times on BBTN that they have had 2 rotating members of ESPN Radio in NY on the set... Well, guess like my MLBN viewership over ESPN will be 100% this year instead of 95%... it's just ridiculous...

Since 1/1/2009 there is no reason to watch ESPN for baseball. The products are not even comparable. The talent on the MLBN is light years ahead of ESPN. Is Fernando Vina still hanging in there?

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 03:02 PM)

I think ESPN only has done spring training games from Florida this year, at least that is all I have noticed and I wonder why?

QUOTE (NIUSox @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 06:46 PM)
I think ESPN only has done spring training games from Florida this year, at least that is all I have noticed and I wonder why?

They base themselves at Disney's baseball/sports complex in Orlando.

See, this is where Rotoworld loses me:

The Boston Herald's Michael Silverman hears that Josh Beckett's contract extension with the Red Sox will be worth $68 million over four years.

In other words, $2 million less than SI.com's Jon Heyman reported earlier this evening. The Red Sox have concerns about the durability of his right shoulder, but Beckett has been as good as anyone in the AL East over the last several years. He will start on Opening Night this season against the Yankees. The deal is expected to be finalized in about a week.

Name the obvious fallacy in this blurb.

There's is some obvious slurpage going on, but it's a fantasy based site and Beckett has still been a pretty damn good fantasy pitcher over the past 4 seasons. He's going to get double digit wins and usually 15+, he strikes people out at a decent clip, doesn't walk people, puts up a respectable ERA, and puts up a good WHIP. He gives up more than his fair share of homers, but overall, he's a great fantasy pitcher.

They do believe that Peavy is going to put up an ERA in the 3.50 range this season, and I just don't see that happening. They talk about his struggles on the road, but he pitches in Arizona and Colorado for a few starts each year, and in 2008 when he put up a 4.28 ERA on the road, he pitched at Arizona twice, at Colorado once, at St. Louis (4th best offense in the NL), at Yankee Stadium (not a great offense, but a good one), and at Wrigley (best offense in the NL). Not that is justifies how "poorly" he pitched, but those are 6 games he pitched on the road against good offenses or in hitters parks. And, other than 2008, he really hasn't been a poor pitcher on the road compared to how he pitched at Petco. Peavy's a damn good pitcher, and while I expect his ERA to rise this year due to pitching in the AL and pitching in more of a hitters park, I don' think it's going to rise astronomically.

(not that I wouldn't take a 3.50 ERA, I just don't think they are being necessarily fair to Peavy)

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 09:57 PM)
See, this is where Rotoworld loses me:

Name the obvious fallacy in this blurb.

Don't you know, the AL East is only the Yankees & Red Sox. The Blue Jays and that pitcher named Roy don't count in the discussion.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 10:08 PM)
He's been average or below in three of his last four years in Boston.

He's accumulated 17 WAR the past three years. Outside of 06, he's been pretty good...

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 1, 2010 -> 12:30 AM)
There's is some obvious slurpage going on, but it's a fantasy based site and Beckett has still been a pretty damn good fantasy pitcher over the past 4 seasons. He's going to get double digit wins and usually 15+, he strikes people out at a decent clip, doesn't walk people, puts up a respectable ERA, and puts up a good WHIP. He gives up more than his fair share of homers, but overall, he's a great fantasy pitcher.

They do believe that Peavy is going to put up an ERA in the 3.50 range this season, and I just don't see that happening. They talk about his struggles on the road, but he pitches in Arizona and Colorado for a few starts each year, and in 2008 when he put up a 4.28 ERA on the road, he pitched at Arizona twice, at Colorado once, at St. Louis (4th best offense in the NL), at Yankee Stadium (not a great offense, but a good one), and at Wrigley (best offense in the NL). Not that is justifies how "poorly" he pitched, but those are 6 games he pitched on the road against good offenses or in hitters parks. And, other than 2008, he really hasn't been a poor pitcher on the road compared to how he pitched at Petco. Peavy's a damn good pitcher, and while I expect his ERA to rise this year due to pitching in the AL and pitching in more of a hitters park, I don' think it's going to rise astronomically.

(not that I wouldn't take a 3.50 ERA, I just don't think they are being necessarily fair to Peavy)

I think 3.5 is fair for him as a projection.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 1, 2010 -> 12:30 AM)

His name is Roy Halladay and he's been far and away the best starting pitcher in the AL East since Josh Beckett showed up in 2006. To say that they've been relative equals -- fantasy or not -- is just ridiculous.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 10:08 PM)
He's been average or below in three of his last four years in Boston.

Average to below average? No, not even close ('06 is his only truly bad year). As good as Halladay? No, not even close.

Looks like the Mets just can't do anything right. After all the injuries last year, they are having more player problems again this year:

First Beltran has knee surgery, likely keeping him out until May or June.

Then Reyes has the thyroid issue, and will start the season on the DL.

And now K-Rod has to take a personal leave of absence to take care of "family business", and according to CBS sports, he will miss the beginning of the season.

It's gotta be rough to be a Mets fan recently.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Apr 1, 2010 -> 11:23 AM)
Looks like the Mets just can't do anything right. After all the injuries last year, they are having more player problems again this year:

First Beltran has knee surgery, likely keeping him out until May or June.

Then Reyes has the thyroid issue, and will start the season on the DL.

And now K-Rod has to take a personal leave of absence to take care of "family business", and according to CBS sports, he will miss the beginning of the season.

It's gotta be rough to be a Mets fan recently.

The Mets are the reason I can't agree with people who say the Cubs are the worst team $140 million can buy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 1, 2010 -> 11:40 AM)
The Mets are the reason I can't agree with people who say the Cubs are the worst team $140 million can buy.

At least when they're healthy (I know that's asking a lot but they should be by late April) they have 2 elite outfielders, 2 elite infielders, a true ace and an elite closer. The Cubs by my count have 1 elite infielder, a great 1B who's known to have elite seasons and that's about it in terms of great baseball players unless Marmol blossoms this season which could very well happen.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 1, 2010 -> 11:53 AM)
At least when they're healthy (I know that's asking a lot but they should be by late April) they have 2 elite outfielders, 2 elite infielders, a true ace and an elite closer. The Cubs by my count have 1 elite infielder, a great 1B who's known to have elite seasons and that's about it in terms of great baseball players unless Marmol blossoms this season which could very well happen.

It will be interesting to see what Johan does this year. This numbers all took a turn for the worse last year, and that was most likely due to elbow problems. That kind of stuff is really scary, especially for a guy who has mad major surgery already in his career, and has about $100 million plus still left on his contract. The whole complexion of that team take a hit if Santana isn't #1 and on top of his game.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 1, 2010 -> 12:11 PM)
It will be interesting to see what Johan does this year. This numbers all took a turn for the worse last year, and that was most likely due to elbow problems. That kind of stuff is really scary, especially for a guy who has mad major surgery already in his career, and has about $100 million plus still left on his contract. The whole complexion of that team take a hit if Santana isn't #1 and on top of his game.

He had the same surgery (bone chip removal) after the '03 season. 2004 was his best year as a pro. Does this mean anything? probably not.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 1, 2010 -> 11:37 AM)
He had the same surgery (bone chip removal) after the '03 season. 2004 was his best year as a pro. Does this mean anything? probably not.

His peripherals also seem to be taking a dip though. The most interesting number from last year was only one wild pitch, as opposed to the nine he put up the year before. It really makes me wonder if he is losing some of the nastiness of his pitches.