2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 03:40 PM)
The Jason Heyward phenomenon is officially out of control. Since the HR yesterday, he's been compared to Ken Griffey Jr. and Barry Bonds. He's the talk of every baseball site there is right now. Everybody is going nuts in trying to acquire him in fantasy leagues. Didn't Jay Bruce have an OPS of, like, 2.000 through his first week with the Reds? Calm down, people.

You are right, but he is much more legit than Bruce was. Heyward's plate discipline is phenomenal for a kid his age. Add in his raw power even in Turner Field and good defense, and he'll be damn good all around. I love Bruce too, but in a couple years he won't touch young kids like Heyward and Upton and that's not a diss to Bruce who is a very good young hitter.

I agree though that the extreme hype all of a sudden is not warranted for Heyward as he will never touch Griffey and Bonds (or Pujols) as hitters. He will struggle when the book is out on him, so we'll see how he adjusts.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 12:38 AM)
Today was just heaven. I guess Comcast/Direct TV is giving everybody a free sample of the Extra Innings package for the first week of the season. I've been watching baseball all day. I need more. I don't want to stop. I'm like a feening crackhead. Baseball, baseball, give me more baseball! I want some more f***ing baseball!

This. If I had extra innings year-round, I'd end up dropping out of school.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 05:06 PM)
You are right, but he is much more legit than Bruce was. Heyward's plate discipline is phenomenal for a kid his age. Add in his raw power even in Turner Field and good defense, and he'll be damn good all around. I love Bruce too, but in a couple years he won't touch young kids like Heyward and Upton and that's not a diss to Bruce who is a very good young hitter.

I agree though that the extreme hype all of a sudden is not warranted for Heyward as he will never touch Griffey and Bonds (or Pujols) as hitters. He will struggle when the book is out on him, so we'll see how he adjusts.

I don't doubt for a second that Heyward will be a superstar. But the enthusiasm needs to be tempered just a tad. He's going to experience some growing pains.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 09:22 PM)
My name is Jordan4life, and I like watching Evan Longoria play baseball. The end.

What a game. I'm so glad I watched it instead of Yankees-Red Sox.

Actually, I'll probably watch the end of that one too. :D

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 08:35 PM)
This is the beginning of an amazing era of baseball.

The combination of young elite (or soon to be elite) pitching and position player talent is as good as it's been in at least 20 years. Aroldis Chapman is set to make his pro debut Sunday. And I'm actually considering getting the MILB.tv package just to watch him pitch.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 08:22 PM)
My name is Jordan4life, and I like watching Evan Longoria play baseball. The end.

I'm a big fan of Adam Jones. There was some good talent in that game. Now if only I wasn't stuck with the Rays announcers I'd be happy.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 11:38 PM)
Today was just heaven. I guess Comcast/Direct TV is giving everybody a free sample of the Extra Innings package for the first week of the season. I've been watching baseball all day. I need more. I don't want to stop. I'm like a feening crackhead. Baseball, baseball, give me more baseball! I want some more f***ing baseball!

This has been doing for a few years. I never seem to be able to pull the trigger on getting it. With MLB Network though, there are plenty of options each day without the package.

I alos simply shook my head over the MLBN poll ofr Openign Day moments

Aaron record setting home run

Feller's no hitter

Jorge Bell's 3 home run------personally i think Tuffy Rhodes was better

Heyward's home run.....

Edited by Jenks Heat

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 10:10 AM)
This has been doing for a few years. I never seem to be able to pull the trigger on getting it. With MLB Network though, there are plenty of options each day without the package.

exact same thing as me, I was actually going to break down and buy it last year but waited until the season started, saw how awesome MLBN nighttime coverage was and didn't get it... however if I didn't live in Chicago I would get it in a second.

also, on Comcast we also get the NHL package for free for the week too

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 03:21 PM)
Apparently the economy is absolutely BOOMING in the unions eyes.

Well, if you go by what the article alleges they might have a point. Hypothetically, if you're a free agent, and you get called up by 6 teams and they all offer you a 1 year deal worth $4.205 million with a $755k bonus for making the all star team and a team option at $6.25 million or a $1.45 million buyout...

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 01:48 PM)
Remember when the Astros were one of the most stacked/exciting teams in baseball to watch during the late 90's, early 2000's? The product they've put on the field for the last three years or so is embarrassing.

I was actually at yesterday's Astros game and was talking to the guy who gave me the ticket (season ticket holder) and I was chatting with him about how far they've fallen. He barely recognized the players and I was talking with him about the sad fact that most of the kids that they have up aren't even good prospects. They really are a pathetic team. I also looked at the Giants lineup and between the two teams I was going, holy hell, the Sox have one ridiculous lineup when compared to some of the s*** offenses in the AL.

You could replace me with Quentin and the Sox lineup would still be 100 times better than the crap the Astros/Giants are running out there right now. In Houston's defense, there big 3 is formidable once Berkman comes back (Lee/Berkman/Pence).

The Astros problem has seemed pretty obvious to me, it's all about ownership. Their front office/owner feels like they have a team that can win now and is only a player or two away, and insists on spending and trading according to that plan.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 02:56 PM)
The Astros problem has seemed pretty obvious to me, it's all about ownership. Their front office/owner feels like they have a team that can win now and is only a player or two away, and insists on spending and trading according to that plan.

And Ed Wade did a horrendous job too.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 05:59 PM)
And Ed Wade did a horrendous job too.

Even if he wanted to do a great job, if he's got a sub .500 team and his ownership is telling him to win now...what exactly can he do?

They haven't drafted well, I should note that. But...every time they do something like a mid-season deal to try to "Win now", they hurt their draft position.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 09:22 PM)

Longoria hit the holy f*** out of that ball. It was awesome because both Adam Jones and Longoria homered in that game. Jones had himself a hell of a game, too.

Oh, and why do people bother trying to run on Markakis?

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 10:16 PM)
What a game. I'm so glad I watched it instead of Yankees-Red Sox.

Actually, I'll probably watch the end of that one too. :D

I made it a point to sit down and watch that game since I missed the Opening Day for the Sox since I was at work. The O's are my second favorite team, as me and J4L have talked about a couple of times.