2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 04:46 PM)
You could replace me with Quentin and the Sox lineup would still be 100 times better than the crap the Astros/Giants are running out there right now. In Houston's defense, there big 3 is formidable once Berkman comes back (Lee/Berkman/Pence).

I'm going to Arizona in September and want to go to Chase for a game and the DBacks are either playing SF or Houston the week I am there. Sigh

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 06:59 PM)
Hope that Lincecum is pitching if it's the Giants. Otherwise, yeah, you're in trouble.

That's why I am going to wait to get tickets when I am there on stubhub.

MLB.tv is being ridiculous right now. I want to watch the Braves/Cubs as I watch the Sox on tv, but when it looks for my location it says I'm in Alabama which has the Braves blacked out. My zip code says I'm only blacked out for the Rays and Marlins and that's how it's been in the past. My phone works too for the Braves so I don't get it. Just more issues from MLB.tv. I swear the thing can never run correctly.

For my econometrics class, we had to pool some data and run a regression to come up with a result...it was a very ambiguous assignment, but the goal of it was mainly to gather data, run the regression using Stata 11, and then interpreting the results. Anyways, I looked at offensive numbers from the past decade to determine which statistics had the most significant effect on win totals. A pretty bland and thoroughly researched field already, and I knew the results (surprise surprise, OBP is the most significant statistic when it comes to determining wins...who would have imagined that?). What I found thoroughly interesting is how little effect stolen bases had on it. Running the regression, using all 300 observations, I got an R-squared value of like .0139 and an adjusted R-squared value of like .0078 or something along those lines, and both the t and F statistics were rather weak as well. Stolen bases don't do a f***ing thing.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 08:24 PM)
MLB.tv is being ridiculous right now. I want to watch the Braves/Cubs as I watch the Sox on tv, but when it looks for my location it says I'm in Alabama which has the Braves blacked out. My zip code says I'm only blacked out for the Rays and Marlins and that's how it's been in the past. My phone works too for the Braves so I don't get it. Just more issues from MLB.tv. I swear the thing can never run correctly.

Just call them.

There's a 75% chance that it can be fixed.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 01:55 AM)
Just call them.

Usually everything from MLB.com is a disaster the first week of the season. The Audio was a mess for opening day for me.

I can't figure out why it's so hard for them to get the bugs out after 5+ years of this.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 08:52 AM)
Vernon Wells is 5/7 with 3 HR and 6 RBI.

It's funny because he'll have to keep up an absolutely torrid pace like nothing he's ever done before over the next 5 years to even approach earning that contract because he's killing them on defense. He's 31, There's 5 years, $96.5M left on that deal and he's no longer capable of playing CF, in fact he's awful out there but when you pay a guy $126M to play an elite CF for the next 7 years it doesn't look great to move him to a corner position 2 years into the deal.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 11:23 AM)
It's funny because he'll have to keep up an absolutely torrid pace like nothing he's ever done before over the next 5 years to even approach earning that contract because he's killing them on defense. He's 31, There's 5 years, $96.5M left on that deal and he's no longer capable of playing CF, in fact he's awful out there but when you pay a guy $126M to play an elite CF for the next 7 years it doesn't look great to move him to a corner position 2 years into the deal.

Stop making sense.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 12:55 AM)
Just call them.

I'll try when I get home from work. The weird thing is that it works fine at my apartment, but it doesnt work at my girlfriend's even though she's in the same complex.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 08:52 AM)
Vernon Wells is 5/7 with 3 HR and 6 RBI.

Even when we think that small sample sizes are totally irrelevant, this has a nice effect on his projections.

Wells was projected to hit 18 home runs this year with a .327 wOBA. Now, if you take 7 PAs from the projection and add what he has done so far, he's good for 21 HR and a .333 wOBA. That's a transformation from below average offensive player to average offensive player.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 04:33 PM)
For those of you who were wondering what A's fans have to look forward to in the following decade look no further then Brett Anderson. He's going to be scary good.

Dallas Braden looked really sharp yesterday.