2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 12:46 PM)
Anybody see highlights of David Price last night? Only word that comes to mind is "electric." He was topping out at 97 MPH last night. He had every pitch in his arsenal workin' for him.

I watched a bit of the game last night, he made A-Rod & Cano look silly on back to back AB's

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody see highlights of David Price last night? Only word that comes to mind is "electric." He was topping out at 97 MPH last night. He had every pitch in his arsenal workin' for him.

Yes, was at the game, the crowd was awesome, the atmosphere awesome. Great game.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 06:15 PM)
Anyone wanna sum up what Toronto is looking like this year?

I watched them a bit in the series against Texas. They look good, but it's also early. Hopefully Peavy can shut them down tomorrow.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 07:15 PM)

Just finished a sweep of the Orioles. Vernon Wells is on fire, Alex Gonzalez is on fire, Adam Lind is right where he should be, so their offense isnt' great but it's been better than ours, because a bunch of trained sheep could have hit the Indians better than us.

They have a 2.84 Team ERA so far, the Sox are at 2.76. So as good as our pitching has been, there's has been just as effective.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 06:15 PM)

Shawn Marcum is their #1, looked pretty good in '07 & '08, then had the old Tommy John. He has done well in his 1st two starts with a 3.46 ERA, 0.92 WHIP. Luckily, we wont face him.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 06:49 PM)
Shawn Marcum is their #1, looked pretty good in '07 & '08, then had the old Tommy John. He has done well in his 1st two starts with a 3.46 ERA, 0.92 WHIP. Luckily, we wont face him.

Thank goodness we don't, Marcum owns us.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 08:11 PM)
Sunday Night Baseball w/ Hershiser/Morgan/Miller >>>>>>>>> Sunday Night Baseball w/ only Morgan/Miller

Hershiser kinda sucks though.

And I personally think Jon Miller's decent.

Edited by chw42

FanGraphs has some new defensive stats up. They're very interesting.

They've now included +/-, revised Zone Rating, and some other cool stuff.

What's great is that these are updated nightly, unlike UZR, which is updated weekly.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/r...-fielding-stats

Some nice tidbits...

This week, Rios has made two plays out of his zone. He's made all the plays that have been in there, giving him a RZR of 1.000. With all of this he has saved 1 run in center so far.

Interestingly, Teahen has made 4 plays out of his zone, while he has failed to make 2 plays that are in his zone out of the 6 in total. Regardless, he has also saved 1 run on defense so far.

Beckham's made 12/14 plays in his zone, he's been a neutral player at 2B on D.

Konerko's 2/4 for plays in his zone. I think one of them was the hit Hafner got that Paulie failed to make a play on.

Even though Alexei had a blunder yesterday, his defensive metrics are currently the best on the team.

He's saved 3 runs on defense thus far, with 3 plays that were made out of the zone and a perfect 9/9 within his zone.

Quentin's been a -1 DRS so far.

Pierre is a 4/4 so far on balls within his zone and is a +1 DRS.

I don't know what the cutoffs were for these, but I think the last time they were updated was yesterday.

Anyway, these new fielding stats were available before through Bill James' site, but now they're free. They look to be great in the way that they tell you the specifics of the player. Like how many scoops a 1B made or how many bunts did so and so field well or not well. It breaks it done a lot better than UZR. However, the end result is usually the same. With this, you can dig a bit deeper, find out what players do well and not so well on and really understand the player's defensive abilities much better.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 10:18 PM)
The Say Heyward Kid hit another home-run today. He has some of the quickest hands i've ever seen. And can we talk on how awesome that nickname is?

I've said this probably 10 times in the last year or so, but how bad is that Feliz/Andrus for Tex trade looking right now? Could you imagine a core of Jurrjens/Hanson/Feliz/Heyward/Andrus/McCann? You don't trade premium prospects for a rental. I don't care who it is. Atlanta had basically no shot at signing him long-term. And the return they got for Tex was laughable.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 10:18 PM)
The Say Heyward Kid hit another home-run today. He has some of the quickest hands i've ever seen. And can we talk on how awesome that nickname is?

I was just thinking how wrong that nickname is. Leave it with Mays.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 11:28 PM)
I've said this probably 10 times in the last year or so, but how bad is that Feliz/Andrus for Tex trade looking right now? Could you imagine a core of Jurrjens/Hanson/Feliz/Heyward/Andrus/McCann? You don't trade premium prospects for a rental. I don't care who it is. Atlanta had basically no shot at signing him long-term. And the return they got for Tex was laughable.

Had they locked up Teixeira, it would have been perfect, but they didn't so they ultimately blew it. This is why I only want the Sox to get AGon if they think they can lock him up.

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 12:47 AM)
I was just thinking how wrong that nickname is. Leave it with Mays.

Stealing Prominent Nicknames = Bad.