2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 04:16 AM)
Tim Lincecum and Roy Halladay are good at pitching. I think we're in for the most competitive CY tug-of-war in recent memory. I can say with just about 100% certainty it's going to come down to those two.

There's a couple of guys here in St. Louis that could/should have won it last year who may disagree with you.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 09:12 AM)
There's a couple of guys here in St. Louis that could/should have won it last year who may disagree with you.

I was flipping channels between that game and some other stuff last night, and man...Ryan Braun absolutely murdered a Carpenter pitch. There was a lot of HR in that game.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 08:19 AM)
Bah, 1 game does not a season make. But Carpenter gave up what, 3 HR last night? He gave up 7 all last year.

I did not see last nights game, but when he's healthy he has been pretty awesome the last several seasons. I don't know if Wainwright can keep it up. Has anybody ever won 3 CYs in a row?

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 09:25 AM)
I did not see last nights game, but when he's healthy he has been pretty awesome the last several seasons. I don't know if Wainwright can keep it up. Has anybody ever won 3 CYs in a row?

Maddux and Johnson both did 4 straight.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 08:25 AM)

Maddux & the Big Unit both win 4 in a row, I believe

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 09:48 PM)
FanGraphs has some new defensive stats up. They're very interesting.

They've now included +/-, revised Zone Rating, and some other cool stuff.

What's great is that these are updated nightly, unlike UZR, which is updated weekly.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/r...-fielding-stats

Some nice tidbits...

This week, Rios has made two plays out of his zone. He's made all the plays that have been in there, giving him a RZR of 1.000. With all of this he has saved 1 run in center so far.

Interestingly, Teahen has made 4 plays out of his zone, while he has failed to make 2 plays that are in his zone out of the 6 in total. Regardless, he has also saved 1 run on defense so far.

Beckham's made 12/14 plays in his zone, he's been a neutral player at 2B on D.

Konerko's 2/4 for plays in his zone. I think one of them was the hit Hafner got that Paulie failed to make a play on.

Even though Alexei had a blunder yesterday, his defensive metrics are currently the best on the team.

He's saved 3 runs on defense thus far, with 3 plays that were made out of the zone and a perfect 9/9 within his zone.

Quentin's been a -1 DRS so far.

Pierre is a 4/4 so far on balls within his zone and is a +1 DRS.

I don't know what the cutoffs were for these, but I think the last time they were updated was yesterday.

Anyway, these new fielding stats were available before through Bill James' site, but now they're free. They look to be great in the way that they tell you the specifics of the player. Like how many scoops a 1B made or how many bunts did so and so field well or not well. It breaks it done a lot better than UZR. However, the end result is usually the same. With this, you can dig a bit deeper, find out what players do well and not so well on and really understand the player's defensive abilities much better.

That right there is enough to make me doubt the validity of the metric. Alexei has had an awful defensive start to this season with his stupid play.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 09:48 PM)
FanGraphs has some new defensive stats up. They're very interesting.

They've now included +/-, revised Zone Rating, and some other cool stuff.

What's great is that these are updated nightly, unlike UZR, which is updated weekly.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/r...-fielding-stats

Some nice tidbits...

This week, Rios has made two plays out of his zone. He's made all the plays that have been in there, giving him a RZR of 1.000. With all of this he has saved 1 run in center so far.

Interestingly, Teahen has made 4 plays out of his zone, while he has failed to make 2 plays that are in his zone out of the 6 in total. Regardless, he has also saved 1 run on defense so far.

Beckham's made 12/14 plays in his zone, he's been a neutral player at 2B on D.

Konerko's 2/4 for plays in his zone. I think one of them was the hit Hafner got that Paulie failed to make a play on.

Even though Alexei had a blunder yesterday, his defensive metrics are currently the best on the team.

He's saved 3 runs on defense thus far, with 3 plays that were made out of the zone and a perfect 9/9 within his zone.

Quentin's been a -1 DRS so far.

Pierre is a 4/4 so far on balls within his zone and is a +1 DRS.

I don't know what the cutoffs were for these, but I think the last time they were updated was yesterday.

Anyway, these new fielding stats were available before through Bill James' site, but now they're free. They look to be great in the way that they tell you the specifics of the player. Like how many scoops a 1B made or how many bunts did so and so field well or not well. It breaks it done a lot better than UZR. However, the end result is usually the same. With this, you can dig a bit deeper, find out what players do well and not so well on and really understand the player's defensive abilities much better.

To say that a week's worth of games is too small a sample size would be a massive understatement.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 11:30 AM)
To say that a week's worth of games is too small a sample size would be a massive understatement.

Yeah, but these tell you what "above average" plays certain players made.

Using DRS (defensive runs saved) might not be something smart here, but to see how many plays a player has made out of his zone and inside of his zone should tell you something.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 09:21 AM)
That right there is enough to make me doubt the validity of the metric. Alexei has had an awful defensive start to this season with his stupid play.

One play doesn't define a whole week though...

+/- and UZR usually agree on a lot of things.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 11:34 AM)
Yeah, but these tell you what "above average" plays certain players made.

Using DRS (defensive runs saved) might not be something smart here, but to see how many plays a player has made out of his zone and inside of his zone should tell you something.

Over a season it will definitely tell you something. Over a week it tells you basically nothing.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 11:43 AM)
Over a season it will definitely tell you something. Over a week it tells you basically nothing.

Based on how many samples these stats need to be accurate, you are probably right.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 08:12 AM)

Carpenter is always an injury risk, and Wainwright, as good as he is, ain't in the class of Halladay and Lincecum. Tim is just of a different species. And Roy+NL+Phillies-offense=video game. But, yeah, they'll be other guys in the conversation. I just fully expect it to come down to those two. And I also expect it to be one of the closest votings ever (provided both pitchers stay healthy).

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 12:47 PM)
Carpenter is always an injury risk, and Wainwright, as good as he is, ain't in the class of Halladay and Lincecum. Tim is just of a different species. And Roy+NL+Phillies-offense=video game. But, yeah, they'll be other guys in the conversation. I just fully expect it to come down to those two. And I also expect it to be one of the closest votings ever (provided both pitchers stay healthy).

Wainwright probably isn't as good as Lincecum, but last season he was. Lincecum's delivery makes me wonder if he will end up hurting himself.

from rotoworld...

A team source tells Ben Goessling of MASNSports.com haven't had any discussions with free agent outfielder Jermaine Dye "in a while."

According to Goessling, the team's sabermetrics analysis found that they would be better off with a platoon of Willie Harris and Willy Taveras in right field, just because of Dye's defensive limitations. We're guessing this analysis consisted of a simple visit to Fangraphs.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 01:33 PM)
The Marlins fans still have some fight in them.

Best punch I've ever seen thrown at a sporting event was by a woman... a Detroit Red Wings groupie who absolutely leveled a guy at a Wings-Hawks game.

I wouldn't mess with those women, they're pretty dangerous. LOL.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 01:51 PM)
from rotoworld...

A team source tells Ben Goessling of MASNSports.com haven't had any discussions with free agent outfielder Jermaine Dye "in a while."

According to Goessling, the team's sabermetrics analysis found that they would be better off with a platoon of Willie Harris and Willy Taveras in right field, just because of Dye's defensive limitations. We're guessing this analysis consisted of a simple visit to Fangraphs.

I said this a couple weeks ago. Sabermetrics (UZR in particular) is the worst thing that ever happened to JD. That and the fact he's apparently a very stubborn man.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 03:58 PM)
I said this a couple weeks ago. Sabermetrics (UZR in particular) is the worst thing that ever happened to JD. That and the fact he's apparently a very stubborn man.

If his bat hadn't been godawful the 2nd half of last season he'd have found a job no matter his defense.