2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 09:48 PM)
FanGraphs has some new defensive stats up. They're very interesting.

They've now included +/-, revised Zone Rating, and some other cool stuff.

What's great is that these are updated nightly, unlike UZR, which is updated weekly.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/r...-fielding-stats

Some nice tidbits...

This week, Rios has made two plays out of his zone. He's made all the plays that have been in there, giving him a RZR of 1.000. With all of this he has saved 1 run in center so far.

Interestingly, Teahen has made 4 plays out of his zone, while he has failed to make 2 plays that are in his zone out of the 6 in total. Regardless, he has also saved 1 run on defense so far.

Beckham's made 12/14 plays in his zone, he's been a neutral player at 2B on D.

Konerko's 2/4 for plays in his zone. I think one of them was the hit Hafner got that Paulie failed to make a play on.

Even though Alexei had a blunder yesterday, his defensive metrics are currently the best on the team.

He's saved 3 runs on defense thus far, with 3 plays that were made out of the zone and a perfect 9/9 within his zone.

Quentin's been a -1 DRS so far.

Pierre is a 4/4 so far on balls within his zone and is a +1 DRS.

I don't know what the cutoffs were for these, but I think the last time they were updated was yesterday.

Anyway, these new fielding stats were available before through Bill James' site, but now they're free. They look to be great in the way that they tell you the specifics of the player. Like how many scoops a 1B made or how many bunts did so and so field well or not well. It breaks it done a lot better than UZR. However, the end result is usually the same. With this, you can dig a bit deeper, find out what players do well and not so well on and really understand the player's defensive abilities much better.

I'm confused. So what's the differences between UZR and RZR? Anyway, I do love this OOZ.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 03:35 PM)
I'm confused. So what's the differences between UZR and RZR? Anyway, I do love this OOZ.

RZR is simply the amount of balls the fielder got to in his zone. UZR is more complicated than just that.

OOZ is a pretty good stat. Gutierrez made 113 plays that were out of his zone last year, simply amazing.

I'd use these as a compliment to UZR. It breaks down every aspect of a fielder a lot better.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 04:11 PM)
Pujols is a beast.

It's incredible to look at his career numbers.

His worst batting average ever is .314. He has hit .327 or better every year aside from said season. His OBP has been under .400 just once. He is the best hitter of all time.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 05:19 PM)
He is the best hitter of all time.

Not sure where this debate will go, but I'd like to note in reply that he's only tied for 6th all time in career OPS+ with Mickey Mantle, with 4 humans and one tetrahydragestrinone-enhanced monster ahead of him. And every one ahead of him has whatever decline they saw as their careers went downhill included in their numbers, whereas he doesn't.

He's also barely above Shoeless Joe...who might have that same objection I just noted regarding decline in his later seasons being avoided.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 04:32 PM)
Not sure where this debate will go, but I'd like to note in reply that he's only tied for 6th all time in career OPS+ with Mickey Mantle, with 4 humans and one tetrahydragestrinone-enhanced monster ahead of him. And every one ahead of him has whatever decline they saw as their careers went downhill included in their numbers, whereas he doesn't.

He's also barely above Shoeless Joe...who might have that same objection I just noted regarding decline in his later seasons being avoided.

I have spoken, and the gavel has been dropped.

Next topic, please.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 01:58 PM)
I said this a couple weeks ago. Sabermetrics (UZR in particular) is the worst thing that ever happened to JD. That and the fact he's apparently a very stubborn man.

He had offers from both the Cubs and Texas. It is his own damned fault he is unemployed.

A rumor, but Brewers want to lock up another young stud.. but Fielder isn't (doesn't want) gonna be gettin a Braun steal of a contract.

No particulars of the negotiations between the team and Prince Fielder's camp have yet become public, but one person familiar with the talks suggested the eight-year contracts of Mark Teixeira and Joe Mauer for $180 million and $184 million, respectively, are viewed by Fielder's people as mere starting points.

And another person familiar with the talks suggested Fielder is seeking about $200 million over eight years, which would represent the biggest contract ever in the non-Alex Rodriguez category and only $23 million less than Mark Attanasio paid for the Brewers in 2004.

The Mariners seem to be saying a lot of things about Milton Bradley that have been said before

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5079777

The self-proclaimed bad guy of baseball is regrouping after one rough week with his new team.

The Mariners sat Milton Bradley down following an incident with fans on last week's road trip and told him not to put so much pressure on himself.

Manager Don Wakamatsu said before Seattle lost its home opener 4-0 to Oakland on Monday that he talked with his slumping slugger after he flipped off heckling fans from the outfield during the fourth inning at Texas on Friday night.

"He opened up and talked about the pressure. We talked a lot about relying on us to alleviate some of that and [how] he doesn't have to carry this club by himself," Wakamatsu said.

Bradley's response?

"He responded to it and was open," the manager said, adding Bradley was "remorseful" over the incident.

In last week's opener at Oakland, the 31-year-old well-traveled veteran shattered his bat into splinters after pounding it to the ground in frustration following a strikeout. He was booed all night by his former fans -- Bradley spent the 2006 season and part of '07 with Oakland.

On Thursday, the man who told The Associated Press last month he was baseball's Kanye West blew kisses to Oakland fans behind third base after he chased a foul pop fly.

Bradley also tipped his batting helmet in the direction of Rajai Davis after the A's center fielder jumped above the wall to steal Bradley's second hit -- and second home run -- of the season from him.

He hasn't had a hit since. He went 0 for 1 with two walks Monday, when he batted sixth after a day off on Sunday. He began the season in the cleanup spot.

He is 1-for-22 (.045) this season.

"We talked and again, it's trying to get him to understand he doesn't need to carry this club and put all that pressure on himself," Wakamatsu said. "There are going to be people looking for him and I understand that, but lead by example. He was remorseful in our conversation. He cares a lot. And a lot of fans don't realize he cares sometimes too much about his performance.

"Doesn't matter whether you have seven games or seven years, everyone is susceptible to pressure. It's learning how to deal with it."

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 06:42 AM)

I don't know about that. Dye and Sheffield are DHs at this point on their careers just like Thome. Thome is lucky enough to be left handed which makes him more desirable. And he's primarily sitting on the Twins bench. Who else needs a DH?

And if Milton Bradley can keep getting chances then come on....you just need to be at least perceived to be able to produce. Those other guys can't field and have declining offensive numbers.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 01:34 AM)
A rumor, but Brewers want to lock up another young stud.. but Fielder isn't (doesn't want) gonna be gettin a Braun steal of a contract.

I can't see the Brewers shelling out that kind of cash. I also get the feeling that Fielder would be a fat bust with that kind of contract, pun intended.

Hahahaha. Are you freaking serious?

Then I'm guessing Prince Fielder won't get Mauer and Teixeria money then...

This is ridiculous. Nobody give a s*** about race as long as you don't suck, but in almost everybody's mind, JD is a terrible defensive player and Sheffield sucks.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 08:05 AM)
What a garbage article. It totally ignored the other job offers that Dye had and turned down for more money.

It also fails to mention that Garrett Anderson and Ken Griffey Jr. still have jobs.

Verducci does the math on "is the extra Yankee/Red Sox game time simply due to them taking more pitches or is it their in-between at bat self-repositioning"

What does it mean? The Yankees and Red Sox see 15.9 percent more pitches than the average AL game, but they take 28 percent longer. If the Yankees and Red Sox just played at the same pace as an average AL game -- with their same 46 extra pitches per game -- they would instantly cut 21 minutes from their games. And that's not 21 minutes of action, folks. That's 21 minutes of pure down time.

Just for fun, I decided to check what happens to a Yankees or Red Sox game when those teams face the most efficient, best pitcher on the planet, Roy Halladay, a guy who doesn't dawdle between pitches. They faced him nine times last year. You would expect those games to be quicker than an average AL game. In fact, they averaged 2:53, three minutes below a typical AL game, in part because of 19 fewer pitches per game. But even then, even with the fast-working Halladay on the mound, the pace of the games lagged. The games still were slower paced than an average AL game, clocking in at 1.60 pitches per minute.

I agree and disagree with alot of points. But people have to understand sometimes a specific org. is pretty freaking dumb with decisions. Honestly Garrett Adkins? Audrey Huff? Nady? Those clubs will be regretting those deals over Dye, defense be damned. I don't agree on Sheffield though Hudson. Sorry, he's washed up.