2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 08:33 PM)
They're obviously much more talented, but I hope this team doesn't crap out like the DBacks did in 2008 - they 21-9 in their first 30, and went 61-71 from that point on.

Seriously doubtful. Although I would've said the same thing about that Arizona team. But the Rays legitimately go 5-deep rotation wise. Arizona had a pile of s*** after Webb/Haren. And their offensive core is better and more proven than Arizona's top guys were that year. And wasn't that the year they traded Valverde? That was a big loss right there.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 09:51 PM)
Seriously doubtful. Although I would've said the same thing about that Arizona team. But the Rays legitimately go 5-deep rotation wise. Arizona had a pile of s*** after Webb/Haren. And their offensive core is better and more proven than Arizona's top guys were that year. And wasn't that the year they traded Valverde? That was a big loss right there.

Yes it was. They had RJ in the rotation too, and Doug Davis wasn't half bad. Scherzer came up too and pitched well for them. They won like 90 games the year before, and I assumed guys would progress as the season went on. I just remember waiting and waiting for that team to turn it on, and they just never did.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 09:28 PM)
I have a good feeling about the Orioles this year.

Holy s***, 4-18. lol. 13 games out and it's not even May yet, I didn't even know that was possible. I couldn't have been more wrong.

But I mean what do you expect when you got guys like Adam Jones, Nolan Reimold and Brian Roberts with Dewayne Wise-like offensive numbers? And Tejada being average, and Wieters being average? Most of those guys are supposed to be dominating right now, not looking like potential DFA candidates.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 05:21 PM)
Holy s***, 4-18. lol. 13 games out and it's not even May yet, I didn't even know that was possible. I couldn't have been more wrong.

But I mean what do you expect when you got guys like Adam Jones, Nolan Reimold and Brian Roberts with Dewayne Wise-like offensive numbers? And Tejada being average, and Wieters being average? Most of those guys are supposed to be dominating right now, not looking like potential DFA candidates.

I'm stunned. I certainly didn't expect them to contend for the division. But this is pathetic. Brian Matusz has been the lone bright spot so far.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 1, 2010 -> 01:05 AM)
Brad Lidge makes his presence known right away: 0.1 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 1 HR

And are the Mets legit? That's 10/11 for them. Rod Barajas is leading the team in HRs. They're getting outstanding SP. Ike Davis and Jenrry Mejia have performed admirably.

No way. There's no way Pelfrey throws like a Cy Young contender.

Plus, their offense is pretty mediocre when they're not all on fire. Although when Beltran gets back, they get pretty formidable.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 1, 2010 -> 01:51 AM)
I'm stunned. I certainly didn't expect them to contend for the division. But this is pathetic. Brian Matusz has been the lone bright spot so far.

Yeah, it's not like you or me was wrong about how much talent is actually on that team. They're just not stepping up. Still, I would s*** myself to have Wieters, and I would take anybody in their outfield over anyone in our outfield. I don't understand how damn near EVERYONE can fail at the same time.

Then again, the White Sox are doing it, so I guess it's not that foreign to me after all is it?

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ May 3, 2010 -> 12:29 AM)
Alex Gordon sent to AAA. How the mighty have fallen.

He really needs a change of scenery. Still very young, but he is approaching bust territory, though the Royals have dicked around with him. I would drool if the sox got him based on potential alone as I love the guy. He would be tied for 3rd in OBP alone on our ballclub right now.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ May 3, 2010 -> 01:29 AM)
Alex Gordon sent to AAA. How the mighty have fallen.

He was rushed through the minors and now isn't getting a long enough chance to stick in the majors. You don't take a kid like Alex Gordon and send him from AA to the MLB without the intention of sticking with him for the long haul. Guys like Aviles and Getz should not be hitting over him.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 3, 2010 -> 12:33 AM)
He really needs a change of scenery. Still very young, but he is approaching bust territory, though the Royals have dicked around with him. I would drool if the sox got him based on potential alone as I love the guy. He would be tied for 3rd in OBP alone on our ballclub right now.

The guy obliterates minor league pitching every chance he gets. I have no idea what that dumbf*** organization is doing.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 3, 2010 -> 01:39 AM)
He was rushed through the minors and now isn't getting a long enough chance to stick in the majors.

He's had 1231 career at bats and been given the starting spot 4 years in a row. A couple times he's lost AB's to injury.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 3, 2010 -> 10:15 AM)
He's had 1231 career at bats and been given the starting spot 4 years in a row. A couple times he's lost AB's to injury.

Still, if you’re the Royals and you hype this kid as the next "George Brett," you give him at least three to four full seasons before you condemn to the minors merry-go-round. This would be a very different scenario if this was a competitive organization. We're talking the Royals here, their perpetual ineptitude puts them in the perfect scenario to stick a guy like Gordon into the lineup, and not mess around with him. His injuries have set him back, but not this far.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 3, 2010 -> 10:24 AM)
Still, if you’re the Royals and you hype this kid as the next "George Brett," you give him at least three to four full seasons before you condemn to the minors merry-go-round. This would be a very different scenario if this was a competitive organization. We're talking the Royals here, their perpetual ineptitude puts them in the perfect scenario to stick a guy like Gordon into the lineup, and not mess around with him. His injuries have set him back, but not this far.

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if going down and facing pitchers that he's confident he can hit is a necessary step for him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 3, 2010 -> 09:52 AM)
I wouldn't be surprised one bit if going down and facing pitchers that he's confident he can hit is a necessary step for him.

In 745 career PA in the minors his line is: .326/.439/.584/1.023

Suffice it to say there's not a damn thing left for him to prove or any confidence to be gained by obliterating minor league pitching when he's obviously shown that's not a problem.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 3, 2010 -> 01:56 PM)
In 745 career PA in the minors his line is: .326/.439/.584/1.023

Suffice it to say there's not a damn thing left for him to prove or any confidence to be gained by obliterating minor league pitching when he's obviously shown that's not a problem.

Gordon Beckham's career minor league numbers are .322/.375/.522/.894...and I think sending Beckham down is probably the right move if he can't get his mechanics together in the next couple days.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 3, 2010 -> 02:47 PM)
Gordon Beckham's career minor league numbers are .322/.375/.522/.894...and I think sending Beckham down is probably the right move if he can't get his mechanics together in the next couple days.

If GB has to be sent down to AAA then it might be time to re-evaluate.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 3, 2010 -> 04:16 PM)
If GB has to be sent down to AAA then it might be time to re-evaluate.

?

It depends on the person and on the issue, sometimes. Becksy's swing is clearly screwed all to hell right now.