2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 4, 2010 -> 10:04 PM)
9 run second for the Brewers chases Clayton Kershaw from the game, his final line: 1.1 IP, 5H, 7ER, 2BB, 3K. His ERA now stands at 4.99 (3.07 coming into today), WHIP of 1.70, 24 BB in 30.2 IP.

FML...

I have him on my fantasy team.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ May 5, 2010 -> 01:17 PM)
Jose Contreras is temporarily going to be the closer for the Phils:

http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/blog/roto_...=fantasy,238335

He's also throwing the hardest he has in his career and has a 14:0 K:BB.

Chris Young & Pods are doing so good too, uggghhh, KW SUCKS!!!!!!

Seriously though, good for the Count, glad to see him staying around and doing well.

A source tells Mike Salk of 710 ESPN in Seattle that Milton Bradley left the team in the middle of Tuesday's game against the Rays.

Bradley was frustrated after striking out looking with the bases loaded in the bottom of the sixth inning. He yelled at the umpire from the bench until Mariners manager Don Wakamatsu warned him to settle down. Just minutes later Bradley reportedly told Wakamatsu, "I'm packing my stuff. I'm out of here." Mariners General Manager Jack Zduriencik didn't address the matter specifically on Wednesday, other than to say something that happens between the manager and his players should be handled internally. We're guessing that Wakamatsu might not have to worry about Bradley much longer.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 5, 2010 -> 01:43 PM)
A source tells Mike Salk of 710 ESPN in Seattle that Milton Bradley left the team in the middle of Tuesday's game against the Rays.

Bradley was frustrated after striking out looking with the bases loaded in the bottom of the sixth inning. He yelled at the umpire from the bench until Mariners manager Don Wakamatsu warned him to settle down. Just minutes later Bradley reportedly told Wakamatsu, "I'm packing my stuff. I'm out of here." Mariners General Manager Jack Zduriencik didn't address the matter specifically on Wednesday, other than to say something that happens between the manager and his players should be handled internally. We're guessing that Wakamatsu might not have to worry about Bradley much longer.

Now they can suspend him without pay instead of cutting him outright.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 5, 2010 -> 01:43 PM)

So Byrnes, then Bradley? SEA shedding its baggage.

Just curious... do typical major league contracts have some sort of clause in them, where if the player fails to be present for "work", they don't have to be paid?

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ May 5, 2010 -> 01:17 PM)
Jose Contreras is temporarily going to be the closer for the Phils:

http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/blog/roto_...=fantasy,238335

He's also throwing the hardest he has in his career and has a 14:0 K:BB.

Nowhere in the article does it say Jose has been named the temporary closer. Just speculation by Behrens.

Per ESPN.com

According to the report, manager Don Wakamatsu instructed Bradley to stop yelling at the umpire from the bench after the called third strike. Bradley responded that someone had to say something and that if Wakamatsu wouldn't, then he would. Moments later, Bradley told Wakamatsu, "I'm packing my stuff. I'm out of here." And he left. The Mariners insist that Wakamatsu lifted Bradley from the game. So, it's not clear if Bradley was benched first and then left the team, or if he just jetted after having words with his manager. Either way, the team's hope that the volatile Bradley could be massaged through the season by the likes of clubhouse veterans Mike Sweeney and Ken Griffey seems to have backfired. The Seattle Times has a slightly different version of the story, but it all amounts to the same thing.

Little different account of what happened with Bradley...

I wonder who is at fault for his bad behavior / bad performance this time. I'm guessing that Wakamatsu, Griffey, and the umpire are all secret members of the KKK and are conspiring against him.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 5, 2010 -> 03:38 PM)
If you can't be tolerable when you have Ken Griffey Jr. (especially) and Sweeney in your clubhouse, then you really are nuts. Can't even defend the guy.

I hope Griffey calls it quits after this year. Nothing sadder then when a former great player sticks around 2-3 years longer than he should because he can't accept the fact he's done. Watching Griffey hit makes my eyes hurt. Watching him run? Yikes.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 5, 2010 -> 03:55 PM)
I hope Griffey calls it quits after this year. Nothing sadder then when a former great player sticks around 2-3 years longer than he should because he can't accept the fact he's done. Watching Griffey hit makes my eyes hurt. Watching him run? Yikes.

He should have retired after his stint here . . . he made that great play in the blackout game and he could have retired on a semi-high note.

This bloated, no-bat speed Griffey is depressing to watch.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ May 5, 2010 -> 08:58 PM)
He should have retired after his stint here . . . he made that great play in the blackout game and he could have retired on a semi-high note.

This bloated, no-bat speed Griffey is depressing to watch.

He should have retired after robbing Lou of the walkoff homer in the tiebreak game in Minnesota.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 5, 2010 -> 02:43 PM)
Nowhere in the article does it say Jose has been named the temporary closer. Just speculation by Behrens.

Not just speculation by Behrens. He quoted the Phils' mlb.com beat writer saying that Contreras would likely be the fill-in. Although you are right that it is not official.

Cleveland has now had 5 consecutive games where 10 or more Indians batters have struck out.

First time that has happened in their history.

Ouch. That has to be frustrating to watch as a fan.