2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ May 5, 2010 -> 01:17 PM)
Jose Contreras is temporarily going to be the closer for the Phils:

http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/blog/roto_...=fantasy,238335

He's also throwing the hardest he has in his career and has a 14:0 K:BB.

Dang, we should have kept him as the long man.

But in all seriousness, good for Jose. Guy always gave heart when he was here.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 6, 2010 -> 02:56 PM)
The Phillies have really taken the Cardinals to school the last few games.

They did win 3 of 4, but I don't know if I'd call it taking them to school. Monday STL won, Tuesday was a 10-inning pitchers duel, Wed. the Phillies did outplay them, but today was Halladay vs. Kyle freaking Lohse, a 7-2 PHI win was easily predictable.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 6, 2010 -> 03:07 PM)
They did win 3 of 4, but I don't know if I'd call it taking them to school. Monday STL won, Tuesday was a 10-inning pitchers duel, Wed. the Phillies did outplay them, but today was Halladay vs. Kyle freaking Lohse, a 7-2 PHI win was easily predictable.

You don't have to win every game by 5+ runs to thoroughly outplay a team. I watched most of the last three games. And the Phillies pitched the s*** outta the ball. Anytime the Cards looked primed to score, a Philly pitcher made a big pitch. Yeah, Halladay vs Loshe was predictable. But was Kyle Kendrick throwing 7 innings of shutout ball last night predictable?

Robin Roberts passed away today. I was looking at his stats and I don't see how he's in the Hall and Bert Blyleven and Tommy John, aren't.

Roberts - 286 W 245 L 3.41 ERA 305 CG 45 SHO 902 BB 2357 K

Blyleven - 287 W 250 L 3.31 ERA 242 CG 60 SHO 1322 BB 3701 K

John - 288 W 231 L 3.34 ERA 162 CG 46 SHO 1259 BB 2245 K

QUOTE (knightni @ May 6, 2010 -> 04:46 PM)
Robin Roberts passed away today. I was looking at his stats and I don't see how he's in the Hall and Bert Blyleven and Tommy John, aren't.

Roberts - 286 W 245 L 3.41 ERA 305 CG 45 SHO 902 BB 2357 K

Blyleven - 287 W 250 L 3.31 ERA 242 CG 60 SHO 1322 BB 3701 K

John - 288 W 231 L 3.34 ERA 162 CG 46 SHO 1259 BB 2245 K

Way different eras.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 6, 2010 -> 03:19 PM)
You don't have to win every game by 5+ runs to thoroughly outplay a team. I watched most of the last three games. And the Phillies pitched the s*** outta the ball. Anytime the Cards looked primed to score, a Philly pitcher made a big pitch. Yeah, Halladay vs Loshe was predictable. But was Kyle Kendrick throwing 7 innings of shutout ball last night predictable?

Like I said earlier, Philly did outplay STL in game 3 & I did see that surprisingly Kendrick did pitch a hell of a game. But in game 1, Blanton got beaten by a rookie, and in game 2 Wainwright & Hamels battled into extra innings. Just saying that it was a close series that Philly won, by no means was it domination. They are the best team in the NL, but STL can hang with them.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 6, 2010 -> 11:58 PM)
Man the Rays need to stop. Another 8-0 waxing and 3-game sweep of the Mariners. They're now 12-1 on the road. 21-7 overall. They've outscored their opponents by a staggering 83 runs. That's insane for early May.

And they're doing all of it with Carlos Pena hitting a cool .204 and BJ Upton being mediocre again. That team is f***ing insane.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 7, 2010 -> 03:44 PM)
And they're doing all of it with Carlos Pena hitting a cool .204 and BJ Upton being mediocre again. That team is f***ing insane.

Zobrist has not done very much either... he is yet to homer.

Edited by qwerty

Jaime Moyer is insane. Oldest pitcher to throw a complete game shutout. (47 years old!) He also currently has like a 34 inning scoreless streak going. (dunno if that is against the Braves or in general, but still impressive)

In this era for a STARTING pitcher, that really is amazing.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 8, 2010 -> 01:17 AM)
Jaime Moyer is insane. Oldest pitcher to throw a complete game shutout. (47 years old!) He also currently has like a 34 inning scoreless streak going. (dunno if that is against the Braves or in general, but still impressive)

In this era for a STARTING pitcher, that really is amazing.

I have no idea where you get the 34 inning scoreless streak from. He allowed 2 unearned runs in his last start against Atlanta, and in his last appearance against Atlanta last year, he gave up an ER in 4.1 IP.

But yeah, Jamie Moyer is pretty incredible. He's obviously over the hill, but he's still a solid back of the rotation starter. He could probably pitch until he was 50 if he wanted.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 8, 2010 -> 12:46 AM)
I have no idea where you get the 34 inning scoreless streak from. He allowed 2 unearned runs in his last start against Atlanta, and in his last appearance against Atlanta last year, he gave up an ER in 4.1 IP.

Well that certainly isn't an official earned run in scoring, though I have to confess this is what I get looking at ESPN highlights and what they put up on the screen. Perhaps I worded it wrong or something.