2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 01:26 PM)
Pujols unanimously wins the NL MVP; 2nd MVP in a row for him, and 3rd overall.

He basically had the award locked up by mid-June. Prime Ken Griffey Jr. is the best player I've ever seen. Pujols is a close second. Keep in mind I'm leaving out proven/suspected steroid users. Otherwise my top two would be Bonds/Rodriguez.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 02:38 PM)
He basically had the award locked up by mid-June. Prime Ken Griffey Jr. is the best player I've ever seen. Pujols is a close second. Keep in mind I'm leaving out proven/suspected steroid users. Otherwise my top two would be Bonds/Rodriguez.

Jr. also had the whole best defensive player at a prime defensive position going for him in his prime. He was just insane back in the day.

I just saw that Ryan Howard finished 3rd in MVP voting and Chase Utley was no where to be found (Ethier, Derrek Lee and Tulowitzki all got 2nd place votes, no Utley). I can't decide if Utley is more underrated or if Howard is more overrated. It's amazing how incredibly dominant Chase Utley can be and at the same time get no love.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 07:10 PM)
I just saw that Ryan Howard finished 3rd in MVP voting and Chase Utley was no where to be found (Ethier, Derrek Lee and Tulowitzki all got 2nd place votes, no Utley). I can't decide if Utley is more underrated or if Howard is more overrated. It's amazing how incredibly dominant Chase Utley can be and at the same time get no love.

I'd say Utley's the third best player in the game right now.

Looks like the Red Sox are making a big push for Halladay.

Thanksgiving isn't until Thursday, but the Halladay season is officially underway.

The Red Sox are "putting on a full-court press" to acquire Roy Halladay, according to a source, and are hoping to add the former Cy Young winner to the top of their rotation to go with Josh Beckett and Jon Lester.

"They would love to get it wrapped up before the winter meetings (beginning Dec. 7)," the source said of the Red Sox, who made a big push to deal for Halladay last summer.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball...l#ixzz0XsPkv1O9

If Boston is willing to part with Buchholz and Kelly, it's a wrap. I can't see the Yankees topping that unless they're willing to part with 3 of Joba, Hughes, Jackson and Montero. I can't wait until the 7th.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 07:19 AM)
Looks like the Red Sox are making a big push for Halladay.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball...l#ixzz0XsPkv1O9

If Boston is willing to part with Buchholz and Kelly, it's a wrap. I can't see the Yankees topping that unless they're willing to part with 3 of Joba, Hughes, Jackson and Montero. I can't wait until the 7th.

I hope that the Blue Jays don't deal Halliday to the red sawks or the yanks. That just wouldn't be right. Trade him to an NL team!

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 01:28 PM)
He's good.

Like Frank Thomas good.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 01:26 PM)
I hope that the Blue Jays don't deal Halliday to the red sawks or the yanks. That just wouldn't be right. Trade him to an NL team!

I do. If the Red Sox trade for Halladay - or Hanley for that matter - it takes them completely out of the Adrian Gonzalez sweepstakes, unless Theo Epstein goes insane.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 01:28 PM)
He's good.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 03:50 AM)
Like Frank Thomas good.

First full 9 seasons, who's who?

.334/.427/.628/1.055 366 HR 387 2B 811 BB 570 K 172 OPS+

.320/.439/.581/1.020 337 HR 350 2B 1144 BB 781 K 168 OPS+

It's easy enough to figure out, but considering Thomas was entering his post-prime seasons after the huge offensive explosion with only one huge year between 98-02, it's amazing the first 9 years he had and the career he had. I said it in the Thomas HoF thread, and I completely stand by the thought that he was the top right handed hitter of the 1990s, the second best offensive threat of the 1990s, and I'm sure I could come up with some type of argument as to why he was the best pure hitter of the 1990s too, but I'm drunk and tired.

For more fun, consider Thomas's seasons before 1998...

.330/.452/.600/1.053 257 HR 246 2B 879 BB 582 K 182 OPS+

Suck on that, Pujols!

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 04:01 AM)

It's easy enough to figure out, but considering Thomas was entering his post-prime seasons after the huge offensive explosion with only one huge year between 98-02, it's amazing the first 9 years he had and the career he had. I said it in the Thomas HoF thread, and I completely stand by the thought that he was the top right handed hitter of the 1990s, the second best offensive threat of the 1990s, and I'm sure I could come up with some type of argument as to why he was the best pure hitter of the 1990s too, but I'm drunk and tired.

Suck on that, Pujols!

Only 3 right handed hitters put up a .320+ AVG and .950+ OPS in 3000+ PA between 1990 and 1999. Frank Thomas (.320/1.013), Mike Piazza (.328/.966, didn't play in '90 or '91) and Edgar Martinez (.322/.962). It's not much of a contest.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 04:01 AM)

Suck on that, Pujols!

Your waaaaaay late to the game homie. (Post #607) But since you like to point these things out to boost your self esteem and maintain your outstanding intelligence, and to give the good drunk rant stuff to a tee with that extra year added on from ya in your stats, I will let you have this one Blake. :) Of of course I believe Kalapse or qwerty or Cheat said that even before me back then.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (G&T @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 04:08 PM)
Chip Carey out as TBS lead broadcaster.

I kind of feel bad for him because he seems like a genuinely nice guy(I havent heard any stories about him bigtiming anyone or being anything less than friendly out in public) but jeez did he ever screw up the playoffs. It was like he was watching a different game most of the time.

And he needs to just remove "fisted" from his vocabulary.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 05:26 AM)
Ian Kinsler says hello.

Honestly, Ian Kinsler has only had 1 really good season, and it was 2008, and he's just a bit injury prone on top of that.

If Pedroia actually moves to SS - which I think is probably similar to moving either Kinsler or Beckham to SS, which would be bad if a gold glove caliber defensive 2Bman weren't brought in or if a gold glove caliber shortstop weren't brought in to allow him to move back to 2B in the later innings (and Vizquel's gone) - then the best 2Bman in the league almost certainly has to go to Brian Roberts or Aaron Hill (if you believe he can reproduce something similar to what he did last season).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 05:46 AM)
Honestly, Ian Kinsler has only had 1 really good season, and it was 2008, and he's just a bit injury prone on top of that.

If Pedroia actually moves to SS - which I think is probably similar to moving either Kinsler or Beckham to SS, which would be bad if a gold glove caliber defensive 2Bman weren't brought in or if a gold glove caliber shortstop weren't brought in to allow him to move back to 2B in the later innings (and Vizquel's gone) - then the best 2Bman in the league almost certainly has to go to Brian Roberts or Aaron Hill (if you believe he can reproduce something similar to what he did last season).

Well if over 30 homers, stolen bases, doubles and almost 90 RBI from a 2B can be called an off year then you're pretty damn good. Not to mention his glove was well above average. Actually, other than a ridiculously low BABIP (.245), his '09 wasn't that much different than '08. I'd rank Kinsler over Roberts and Hill rather easily.