2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 08:09 PM)
Best hitter in baseball the past month = Chris Johnson of Astros? Talk about racking up hits.

Outside of tonight, Houston has been great since Oswalt and Berkman were traded

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 09:24 AM)
Bill James is going to appear on the Simpsons this season.

Does that mean that Sabermetrics have gone from being the new thing to being tired and old?

Bill James would seem incredibly out of place in a Simpsons episode.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 03:27 PM)
That 49 HR, near MVP season he posted in 2004 seemingly out of nowhere, before falling back to earth the moment he signed his contract in Seattle certainly has raised some eyebrows.

The concept of a contract year may not work on a broad scale, but it doesn't mean it's not entirely possible. He was hurt last year, but this year, in yet another contract year, this time in a great hitters park, he's murdering the ball. Konerko is doing the same thing. It's entirely possible that some guys will work harder in preparation to get a large contract in the offseason, and then they relax once the have greater financial security.

It could also be steroids, but that's merely speculation.

per Rotoworld

Kevin Youkilis has opted to undergo season-ending surgery to fix the torn muscle at the base of his right thumb.

Youkilis will be in a cast for the next six weeks. So even if the Red Sox manage to climb over the Rays and make the playoffs, he won't be available. The first baseman suffered the unfortunate injury during Monday night's game against the Indians. His absence should mean more playing time for Mike Lowell, who was shopped aggressively at the trade deadline but never dealt. Aug. 5 - 4:16 pm et

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 03:29 PM)
per Rotoworld

Kevin Youkilis has opted to undergo season-ending surgery to fix the torn muscle at the base of his right thumb.

Youkilis will be in a cast for the next six weeks. So even if the Red Sox manage to climb over the Rays and make the playoffs, he won't be available. The first baseman suffered the unfortunate injury during Monday night's game against the Indians. His absence should mean more playing time for Mike Lowell, who was shopped aggressively at the trade deadline but never dealt. Aug. 5 - 4:16 pm et

Ouch.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 09:19 PM)
Holy f*ck did the Marlins just get hosed. Ump calls a ball foul down the line when it was 5 inches fair. Awful

That was a horrible call; had he actually followed the ball down the line, he would have seen it was clearly fair.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 08:22 AM)
That was a horrible call; had he actually followed the ball down the line, he would have seen it was clearly fair.

If anyone saw MLBnetwork last night, Harold Reynolds had it right...the ball took a weird shorthop right in front of 3b and literally curved around the base in the air. It was going foul after the last hop in front of the bag (which is when the ump called it foul) then it curved back fair before landing.

The ball landed fair at almost the exact spot the ump had been standing before it forced him to jump out of the way. That was a damn near impossible call for him to get right. The Marlins got hosed, but only because there was no replay.

The Dodgers loss to the Padres last night had a familiar ring to it...

Octavio Dotel gave up a couple of runs in the 9th...

Scotty Pods misplayed a ball resulting in an inside-the-park homerun.

God, I miss those days.

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 09:58 AM)
The Dodgers loss to the Padres last night had a familiar ring to it...

Octavio Dotel gave up a couple of runs in the 9th...

Scotty Pods misplayed a ball resulting in an inside-the-park homerun.

God, I miss those days.

It's like 2009 all over again...for the Dodgers.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2010 -> 10:38 PM)
No Clayton Richard mentions tonight? My favorite part was when he threw a 3-0 intentional walk pitch to the screen.

I'm sure someone will back that and say look at Gio's very good outing tonight. It's a never ending circle good or bad for former prospects.

I didn't see it discussed anywhere, but how about the Rays almost getting no-hit again?? Although they are 3rd in MLB in runs scored, they are only tied for 25th with a .250 team BA.

I still can't believe the Mariners traded away Morrow for a reliever. He was a high 1st round draft pick, always showed flashes of his potential, but they kept dicking him around between the rotation, the minors, and the bullpen. They really didn't give him the best opportunity to succeed, now hes 5th in the AL in strikeouts.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 9, 2010 -> 10:14 AM)
I didn't see it discussed anywhere, but how about the Rays almost getting no-hit again?? Although they are 3rd in MLB in runs scored, they are only tied for 25th with a .250 team BA.

I still can't believe the Mariners traded away Morrow for a reliever. He was a high 1st round draft pick, always showed flashes of his potential, but they kept dicking him around between the rotation, the minors, and the bullpen. They really didn't give him the best opportunity to succeed, now hes 5th in the AL in strikeouts.

The no-hitter is officially dead. That's probably why nobody mentioned it when it looked like he was going to pull it off. But wow! I just saw the highlights. That was pure dominance. Scherzer's 14 K game in 5 2/3 innings against the A's, Strasburg's first game against the Pirates and Morrow's gem yesterday are pretty much the 3 best single-game pitching performances in baseball this year.