2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 9, 2010 -> 12:34 PM)
The no-hitter is officially dead. That's probably why nobody mentioned it when it looked like he was going to pull it off. But wow! I just saw the highlights. That was pure dominance. Scherzer's 14 K game in 5 2/3 innings against the A's, Strasburg's first game against the Pirates and Morrow's gem yesterday are pretty much the 3 best single-game pitching performances in baseball this year.

It's not. There were 6 in 1990. Also 5 in '91. So the most no-nos in a season in almost 20 years. If this continues for the next couple of years, then it's dead. Until then, I don't see how it is.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Aug 9, 2010 -> 02:20 PM)
It's not. There were 6 in 1990. Also 5 in '91. So the most no-nos in a season in almost 20 years. If this continues for the next couple of years, then it's dead. Until then, I don't see how it is.

Well it's dead to me. At least for a while. Do you think people really care now when a guy takes a no-hitter into the 7th inning?

1. The team has played terrible baseball and have shown few signs of improvement as the year went on.

2. Ken Griffey Jr became unhappy with Wakamatsu and actively spread his discontent around the clubhouse.

You can talk about bullpen usage, line-ups, or whatever other things you personally didn’t like about Wak, but those things didn’t matter all that much. Every manager has his idiosyncrasies, and as we saw last year, the things that Wak did that might have annoyed you don’t prevent the Mariners from being a winning ballclub. They’re minor issues that had little impact on today’s decision.

The first issue is the big one, obviously. If the team was winning, things would be very different. The frustration that has surfaced has been magnified as the losses pile up, and what should be small problems have turned into big ones as people stew after another loss. However, the second issue is almost certainly the root of why Wak was dismissed.

Pretty much anyone that has access to how the players feel about their former manager will report that it’s not good, and it hasn’t been good since May. When Wak made the (correct) decision that Ken Griffey Jr just shouldn’t play anymore, it caused some serious friction between the guys on the field and the coaching staff. The guys loved Junior, and they’re not rational about his abilities to help the team win. They just saw an icon in the game being shoved out the door. Griffey did absolutely nothing to discourage these feelings, offering no support for Wak or acknowledging the fact that he was no longer cut out to play Major League Baseball. Even after he took his meager bat and went home, he helped fuel the belief that it was Wakamatsu that was to blame for the entire situation.

At that point, most of the club turned on their manager. There was nothing Wak could do to get them back on his side. He was now the guy responsible for running Griffey out of Seattle. And he should have never been put in that position.

Plain and simple – the front office screwed up when they brought Griffey back for 2010. Everyone involved with that decision made a mistake, and they perpetuated that mistake by not having a plan in place to remove Griffey from the roster once it was clear that he could no longer function as a Major League player and would not be happy with a reduced role, as he had publicly claimed. The Mariners were more than willing to make up injuries for Mike Sweeney and Ryan Rowland-Smith when they wanted to get those guys off the roster – they should have been willing to do the same with Griffey at the end of April.

Instead, the organization left it up to Wak to play the bad guy, and the situation poisoned his relationship with the rest of the guys on the team. It devolved into a point where the relationships probably couldn’t be saved, and because the Mariners can’t get rid of the entire roster, Wak is the one to leave.

I’m pretty confident that he’ll get another gig, and be a pretty successful major league manager once he gets that second chance. More likely than not, his next team won’t stick him with a broken down former star who will become disgruntled once he stops getting his name penciled into the line-up. That will help.

www.ussmariner.com

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 9, 2010 -> 11:34 AM)
But wow! I just saw the highlights. That was pure dominance. Scherzer's 14 K game in 5 2/3 innings against the A's, Strasburg's first game against the Pirates and Morrow's gem yesterday are pretty much the 3 best single-game pitching performances in baseball this year.

Morrow's performance was the 5th best single game performance since 1920. 9 innings, 17 SO?! That was amazing.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Aug 9, 2010 -> 01:20 PM)

Agreed.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 9, 2010 -> 04:05 PM)
Well it's dead to me. At least for a while. Do you think people really care now when a guy takes a no-hitter into the 7th inning?

I never cared. If John Danks has a no hitter in the 7th with 120 pitches or something, I want him taken out.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 01:50 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=2234781:date=Aug 10, 2010 -> 11:51 AM:name=Balta1701)-->
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 11:51 AM)
<!--quotec-->

DUMP HIS ASS!! SHe's too cute to be letting balls hit her (ok, insert your own joke there)

Her face is beat, but thats what she gets dating a guy who wears a sideways flat-brimmed camo hat.

Probably ought to post this somewhere.

Phillips fouled a ball off his shin Saturday in Chicago and missed Sunday’s game. But he was in Monday’s lineup and said, “I’d play against these guys with one leg. We have to beat these guys. I hate the Cardinals. All they do is b**** and moan about everything, all of them, they’re little b****es, all of ‘em.

“I really hate the Cardinals. Compared to the Cardinals, I love the Chicago Cubs. Let me make this clear: I hate the Cardinals.”

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 03:34 PM)
Brandon Phillips with a Torii Hunter/Orlando Hudson moment.

Am I missing something? I don't think he said anything about the 'race' card in there.

His comments were more that of his own teammate.. Joey Votto... except Votto hates the Cubs much more than the Cards. (Phillips is the opposite)

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 04:48 PM)
Am I missing something? I don't think he said anything about the 'race' card in there.

His comments were more that of his own teammate.. Joey Votto... except Votto hates the Cubs much more than the Cards. (Phillips is the opposite)

Phillips was also a lot more explicit in his words.

The whole Hunter/Hudson thing was me trying to say he's being out of line with his comments.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 06:53 PM)
And what do you know? A fight breaks out...

Cueto was kicking people with his spikes. He'll surely get in trouble.

Yea.. knew it was gonna happen (thought Phillips would get plunked first) but didn't think it would be a shouting match between him and Molina... and in the first inning none-the-less.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 11:31 PM)
Yea.. knew it was gonna happen (thought Phillips would get plunked first) but didn't think it would be a shouting match between him and Molina... and in the first inning none-the-less.

If a lot of Reds get suspended, this would rank up there as one of the most interesting failures by a Dusty Baker coached team.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 08:22 AM)
If a lot of Reds get suspended, this would rank up there as one of the most interesting failures by a Dusty Baker coached team.

I would love to see that happen. That whole kicking match had to do with Dusty barking at Carpenter or La Rusa. What a great job by a manager to try and calm his team down.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 11:12 AM)
Is he the best catcher in the NL, at least offensively? If not yet he very well could be by next year. And how about Carlos Santana? He could be the best catcher in the AL very soon.

.274/.432/.988 with an OPS+ of 172 in 139 PAs. His 1.50 BB/K rate is uncanny for such a young hitter. I've said it all year, I've never seen an infusion of talent as deep as what we've seen in '10 hit the game practically all at once in my time as a baseball fan.

I was speaking of Posey here. How's this for a slash line? .385/7/32/.444/.630/1.074. That's all Posey's done since July 1. This dude is so special.