2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 04:34 PM)
When is his random test?

I don't think steroids are in question here. Hitting home runs is obviously an organizational philosophy of the Blue Jays (179 team home runs, with Boston being the next closest at 155), and whether it's because Bautista has actually become a good hitter or it's a statistical outlier (I would say it's a combination of both) doesn't matter. These kinds of things have happened in the past. Everyone likes to point out Brady Anderson's 1996 season, but there have been people who have questioned him about steroids, but his manager that year, Davey Johnson, is probably the best example of it. Johnson hit 43 homers in 1973 as a 30 year old in his first year in the NL with the Braves. Before that year, he'd only hit more than 10 homers in a season once (18 in 1971). The next year he hit 15, and after that, he was done being a regular player.

It's entirely possible that it just took Bautista a while longer for him to figure out how to be a good hitter. I don't see you asking for Luke Scott's random test, but he didn't get to the big leagues until he was 27 and he wasn't an every day player in the big leagues until he was 29, but he's having a similarly good season to Bautista, except that he hasn't hit 36 homers, he's just hit for power at a much better rate than he has at any point in his career.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 04:33 PM)
This new manager thing is really working out for Baltimore. Up against the Rays once again. It's too bad that they didn't wait until after our series to make that move.

I refuse to believe any kind of success could be directly attributed to Buck Showalter, of all people.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 04:40 PM)
I refuse to believe any kind of success could be directly attributed to Buck Showalter, of all people.

I don't know what it is but all of a sudden they're defeating some of the best teams in the league.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 04:42 PM)
I don't know what it is but all of a sudden they're defeating some of the best teams in the league.

Oh I know...but even if they win 40 games in a row you will not see me give credit to Buck Showalter. There is something about him that prohibits me from accepting that he could possibly be a positive influence on a ballclub.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 05:47 PM)
Oh I know...but even if they win 40 games in a row you will not see me give credit to Buck Showalter. There is something about him that prohibits me from accepting that he could possibly be a positive influence on a ballclub.

I'm sure he's a positive influence in the long run...but right now, just getting a new voice in the locker room probably helps wake people up. Plus, hitting a team like the Sox who forgot how to hit doesn't hurt.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 09:45 PM)
I'm sure he's a positive influence in the long run...but right now, just getting a new voice in the locker room probably helps wake people up. Plus, hitting a team like the Sox who forgot how to hit doesn't hurt.

From my Rangers fan friend is Buck is actually a solid manager but doesnt like breaking in young players is his biggest flaw.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 04:03 PM)
From my Rangers fan friend is Buck is actually a solid manager but doesnt like breaking in young players is his biggest flaw.

And yet all the talk I've heard about him is that he's a great guy to use to help rebuild up and down through your minors.

Is it me, or does Mike Stanton have more raw power than any player in baseball? He's built like he's from some state-of-the-art baseball laboratory. A whopping 30 of his 56 hits have gone for extra bases. And these are ropes, missiles and bombs he's tattooing. No cheapies with this guy. He's slugging .569 with an ISO around .300. And the dude is 20! He's going to K. No doubt about that. But 40-45 HRs next year seem a foregone conclusion to me. I'm drawing a total blank right now. Has anyone ever done that at age 21?