2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 05:29 PM)
Is it me, or does Mike Stanton have more raw power than any player in baseball? He's built like he's from some state-of-the-art baseball laboratory. A whopping 30 of his 56 hits have gone for extra bases. And these are ropes, missiles and bombs he's tattooing. No cheapies with this guy. He's slugging .569 with an ISO around .300. And the dude is 20! He's going to K. No doubt about that. But 40-45 HRs next year seem a foregone conclusion to me. I'm drawing a total blank right now. Has anyone ever done that at age 21?

McGwire and Canseco are pretty close. McGwire hit 49 at 23. Canseco hit 33 at 21, 31 at 22, and 42 at 23.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 05:29 PM)
Is it me, or does Mike Stanton have more raw power than any player in baseball? He's built like he's from some state-of-the-art baseball laboratory. A whopping 30 of his 56 hits have gone for extra bases. And these are ropes, missiles and bombs he's tattooing. No cheapies with this guy. He's slugging .569 with an ISO around .300. And the dude is 20! He's going to K. No doubt about that. But 40-45 HRs next year seem a foregone conclusion to me. I'm drawing a total blank right now. Has anyone ever done that at age 21?

There is a reason I got excited when some draft place compared Trayce Thompson to him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 16, 2010 -> 12:29 PM)
Players to hit 30 HR in each of their first 10 MLB Seasons.

1. Albert Pujols.

Ryan Braun is someone who I thought had a chance to pull off that feat too, but he's gonna need 14 more HRs in the last month and a half just to make it 4 years.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 16, 2010 -> 02:30 PM)
Probably, although Jon Lester should probably be in the conversation as well.

Definitely. This has actually been a rather tame year for the AL as far as legitimate Cy Young candidates go. There's a lot of guys having really good years. But there's not one or two guys that jump out at you and say 'he's a lock.' Now in the NL, wow. Johnson, Wainwright, Halladay, Ubaldo. I kinda feel sorry for the voters this year.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 16, 2010 -> 02:36 PM)
Definitely. This has actually been a rather tame year for the AL as far as legitimate Cy Young candidates go. There's a lot of guys having really good years. But there's not one or two guys that jump out at you and say 'he's a lock.' Now in the NL, wow. Johnson, Wainwright, Halladay, Ubaldo. I kinda feel sorry for the voters this year.

And you didn't even mention the pitcher who has the 2nd best ERA.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 16, 2010 -> 01:36 PM)
Definitely. This has actually been a rather tame year for the AL as far as legitimate Cy Young candidates go. There's a lot of guys having really good years. But there's not one or two guys that jump out at you and say 'he's a lock.'

You are right, no there isn't, which is why I'm disappointed Danks didn't get it going. He was in the conversation a couple starts ago, but since then has tailed off alittle. Might be the easiest year for any guy in the AL to win the Cy Young. Danks still has a chance however. Gotta improve on wins unfortunately which is what most people voting look at. His ERA is nice though and hopefully the sox can get 1st place which should help him also.

Then again... that could be bigger leverage for Danks to get a bigger payday for an extension.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 16, 2010 -> 04:13 PM)
He's having one of the luckiest years in recent memory.

You won't find any disagreement from me there, it's just insane to think about. He does have the highest ground ball rate of his career, but his K rate is down, his walks are slightly up, he's not allowing any hits at all even though opponents are putting the ball in play quite a bit of the time, he's not allowing home runs when he does allow flyballs, and he's leaving an insane amount of people on base. There's going to be some correction to these statistics in the next month and a half, but Hudson has still had a phenomenal season.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 16, 2010 -> 04:21 PM)
Welcome to 2010. How do you not know this? That stat alone might net him the Cy Young.

I knew it was high but haven't followed closely in the last few weeks. That is just unheard of. We're talking XBox type numbers.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 03:05 PM)
And yet all the talk I've heard about him is that he's a great guy to use to help rebuild up and down through your minors.

Right, my friend said that too so apparently he has a very good eye for talent but likes playing veterans anyways?

Who has the highest ERA and WHIP this season among active Giants' starting pitchers? If you answered two-time Cy Young winner Tim Lincecum, you'd be correct.

(Bumgarner only has 10 starts to his credit, and Wellemeyer was brutally awful and is no longer on the 40-man roster, but it's still crazy to think about)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 09:08 AM)
Who has the highest ERA and WHIP this season among active Giants' starting pitchers? If you answered two-time Cy Young winner Tim Lincecum, you'd be correct.

(Bumgarner only has 10 starts to his credit, and Wellemeyer was brutally awful and is no longer on the 40-man roster, but it's still crazy to think about)

Bumgarner's ERA & WHIP is lower than his anyway. It is surprising, but its not like the rest of their staff are a bunch of slouches either.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 10:08 AM)
If I was an NL GM ia would invest everything in pitching and build an enormous park...see Padres, San Diego

What's crazy is that their road record is 34-25. Their home record of 36-22 is pretty much standard as compared to other good teams' home records.