2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 01:12 PM)
Juan Pierre - 1.7 WAR

Scott Podsednik - 0.9 WAR

I wondered why people weren't still upset about not bringing Podsednik back. Not that I've suddenly become attached to Juan Pierre or anything, but he's been a pretty valuable member of the Sox this year.

Pierre's defense has impressed me. He gets to a lot of stuff, and I don't feel quite so bad about having him next year anymore.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 12:16 PM)
Pierre's defense has impressed me. He gets to a lot of stuff, and I don't feel quite so bad about having him next year anymore.

As you can probably imagine, I agree too, and barring something catastrophic next season, he's going to be worth the $8.5 mill the Sox ended up paying him (considering he's almost been worth it this year alone).

Even though the Rangers own the biggest divisional lead in the majors, I wouldn't write them into the postseason just yet. They still have 7 against both the Athletics and Angels, 7 against the Twins, 4 against the Blue Jays, and 3 against the Yankees, and have 23 games on the road versus 19 at home (they've been incredible at home, and slightly below .500 on the road).

Not that I think that highly of either the Athletics or the Angels (Oakland still has a pretty difficult schedule, but LAA's is a bit easier), but I could definitely see that division race tightening up in the last 6 weeks.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 06:12 PM)
lol@the Red Sox. Pedroia back on the DL. Ellsbury just got put back on the DL for like the 9th time this year. Cameron out for the year. Josh Beckett is doing his best Jamie Navarro impersonation. Yeah, they're done.

It doesn't help when your best pitcher can't stop giving up 3-run homers to Lyle f***ing Overbay.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 07:12 PM)
lol@the Red Sox. Pedroia back on the DL. Ellsbury just got put back on the DL for like the 9th time this year. Cameron out for the year. Josh Beckett is doing his best Jamie Navarro impersonation. Yeah, they're done.

Sometimes the gambles pay off, and sometimes you look like the Mets.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 03:17 PM)
As much as I hate to admit this, I truly believe that with a reasonably healthy roster they're the top team in baseball.

I think you're probably right...but that was a roster that they were only able to construct because a lot of the guys are either older or are regularly unhealthy.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 04:43 PM)
They have a better record than the White Sox with their best players injured and they play in the toughest division in baseball.

Well, the Red Sox made some gambles that didn't work. The Sox got to 20 in blackjack and asked for 2 more cards.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 09:05 PM)
Press 1 if you predicted before the season that Jose Bautista would be the first player to 40 HR this year. 1.

Only took him about 5 minutes to get around the bases tonight.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 19, 2010 -> 10:19 PM)
.368/.426/.589/1.015 since July 1. And that doesn't include tonight's 2/4, 1 R, 2 RBI. I thought Heyward was a mortal lock for the ROY with the way he started. But the award is Posey's to lose at this point. I'm so f***ing pissed I dropped him in favor of Carlos Santana in two of my fantasy leagues. But in my defense, couldn't foresee Santana getting hurt.

No doubt that Posey has been mashing, but Jamie Garcia still has something to say about the ROY award. 11-6, 2.42 ERA, just pitched a 3-hit shutout, and he's been pitching since the start of the season. It sucks for Posey that he spent the first two seasons in the minors, but you still have to take that into account.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 12:30 PM)
No doubt that Posey has been mashing, but Jamie Garcia still has something to say about the ROY award. 11-6, 2.42 ERA, just pitched a 3-hit shutout, and he's been pitching since the start of the season. It sucks for Posey that he spent the first two seasons in the minors, but you still have to take that into account.

He's gone 6.1+ innings in only 7 of his 24 starts. When he's relying on the bullpen to finish at least the final third of the game in 71% of his starts that's a pretty big negative against him. Posey on the other hand has the second highest wOBA among all 21 major league catchers with at least 300 PA this season, about 10 points behind Geovany Soto.