2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 04:44 PM)
In those two cases, they beat out everybody else on offense. Well, maybe not in 06 for Howard since Pujols was better than him, but that was the case with Frank. In this case, Cabrera and Hamilton are virtually equal.

Hamilton's been a hell of a lot more valuable than Cabrera. 1.5 WAR is quite a disparity.

Do you honestly think the voters are going to say to themselves, "Well, it's really close between the two, but Josh has the higher WAR. So I'll vote for him." Don't get me wrong. I totally understand what you're saying. But sabermetrics aren't quite that mainstream yet.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 of the awards are basically already locked up:

AL manager: Ron Washington

NL manager: Bud Black

AL ROY: Feliz

The NL MVP is a lock between two guys: Votto & Pujols

NL ROY: Posey seems to be running away with it, but I still think Garcia gets plenty votes for being a solid SP all season

AL MVP: As discussed it seems to be between Hamilton & Cabrera. Both guys are having monster years, but I think Hamilton wins it, definitely helps that his team will make the playoffs.

Both Cy Young races are so up for grabs, won't be decided until the end of the season. Several good candidates in both leagues.

My picks right now are Wainwright & Sabathia. (Felix deserves it, but the voters love wins, and CC's best month is always Sept.)

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 06:04 PM)
Do you honestly think the voters are going to say to themselves, "Well, it's really close between the two, but Josh has the higher WAR. So I'll vote for him." Don't get me wrong. I totally understand what you're saying. But sabermetrics aren't quite that mainstream yet.

In this case, the voters don't need WAR. They can look at the normal offensive numbers are recognize that Cabrera and Hamilton are both hitting at a similar level. Then of course, Hamilton obviously has the better reputation as a defender. They can get it right without WAR.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 02:42 AM)
In this case, the voters don't need WAR. They can look at the normal offensive numbers are recognize that Cabrera and Hamilton are both hitting at a similar level. Then of course, Hamilton obviously has the better reputation as a defender. They can get it right without WAR.

You're right. But you do have to admit that you were off when you said "Josh Hamilton blows Cabrera out of the water in just about everything though." :)

All you had to say was that defense is what separates the two and I wouldn't have said a thing.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 04:20 AM)
You're right. But you do have to admit that you were off when you said "Josh Hamilton blows Cabrera out of the water in just about everything though." :)

All you had to say was that defense is what separates the two and I wouldn't have said a thing.

It was just a bad day for chw with all the bad worded post. I'm sure he'll bounce back nicely tomorrow. (or technically today) :)

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 06:03 AM)
Jay Bruce had himself quite a night. He had been in hibernation all year until recently. If he gets hot, yikes! I love this Reds team. Took a while. But they have the look of a team that's going to contend for a while. Not just a 1-year odyssey.

I'm sure you've heard the legend of Chapman's fastball last night. 105mph????

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 05:20 AM)
It was just a bad day for chw with all the bad worded post. I'm sure he'll bounce back nicely tomorrow. (or technically today) :)

I was getting ready to party, so yeah... :headbang

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 09:13 PM)
Chapman pitched tonight....looked amazing

They're about to be 7 full games up on the Cardinals. That's a scary team come October.

Also think Votto has about iced the MVP award. He's on the cover of SI and got some love from ESPN the Magazine. If the Reds win the division going away, it's his. And he f***ing deserves it. Incredible season.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 09:02 PM)
If the Sox don't make the postseason, I will be cheering for a Rangers/Reds World Series.

The Reds could be a very good team for a long time. The cubs really need to hope no other team in that division steps up as they could lose a whole lot of games until the money opens up.

Anyone but Yanks or Red Sox.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 09:52 AM)
The Reds could be a very good team for a long time. The cubs really need to hope no other team in that division steps up as they could lose a whole lot of games until the money opens up.

Anyone but Yanks or Red Sox.

Wow, as the playoff picture stands today, there are only two teams I'd actively root against. They are the Yankees and the Phillies.