Danks hopes to sign an extension

striker

It is going to be a tough decision for the Sox how to handle this.

I believe Floyd and Danks were offered similar extensions last season. Danks had a better era and more wins, but Floyd was better in most statistical categories.

Do the Sox reward Danks for not signing and give him more money?

or do the Sox stand by last years offer?

QUOTE (G&T @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 04:47 PM)
Last year I think Danks' agent said he wanted a Lester type deal. That's 5 years, $30M, plus an option for a 6th year at $13M.

That's really not a bad contract. Obviously the length is concerning if he ever suffers injuries but even then at $6M per year that's hardly crippling

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 09:54 PM)
That's really not a bad contract. Obviously the length is concerning if he ever suffers injuries but even then at $6M per year that's hardly crippling

No it's not. Especially when you piss away a similiar amount of money on Scott Linebrink, you can give a little more to a quality strting pitcher.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 04:12 PM)
I think since he's arb-eligible this year he can earn quite a bit more than that by simply not signing, that wouldn't be a competitive offer any more.

Yeah but thats a risky move to rely on 3 years of arbitration to earn more than a guaranteed contract. If he gets hurt, has an accident, or even has a terrible year his value on a 1 year contract in arbitration will go down not up. Conversely, MLB contracts are guaranteed, so if he signed say a 4 year deal he would still get paid a great value if injured or he had an off year. Going the arbitration route is a risk, something that he apparently is willing to take. In 2010 he would probably get something like $2M and if he continues pitching well in 2011 and 2012 he would probably get salaries of $5-6M and $8-9M respectively. While those both might be a couple mil higher than what he was offered in a contract extension in 2009 they are not guaranteed so its high risk against somewhat low reward. Though my gut tells me he and agent arent dumb and probably dont want to go the arbitration route, they just want to reject the first offer to be able to negotiate an increased offer the second time around. I fully expect Danks to sign an extension at some point in the next year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 04:17 PM)
Do we really think D1 won't be earning that $ at that point anyway? The other option is for him to be gone.

I would guess he is going to be just fine. I was just making the point that it won't be at $6 million for each year. It is going to be cheap up front, and expensive at the end.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 01:15 AM)
I would guess he is going to be just fine. I was just making the point that it won't be at $6 million for each year. It is going to be cheap up front, and expensive at the end.

I understood that point. You would hope it would be good for both sides as danks and Floyd should continue to improve with experience

QUOTE (joeynach @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 05:59 PM)
Yeah but thats a risky move to rely on 3 years of arbitration to earn more than a guaranteed contract. If he gets hurt, has an accident, or even has a terrible year his value on a 1 year contract in arbitration will go down not up. Conversely, MLB contracts are guaranteed, so if he signed say a 4 year deal he would still get paid a great value if injured or he had an off year. Going the arbitration route is a risk, something that he apparently is willing to take. In 2010 he would probably get something like $2M and if he continues pitching well in 2011 and 2012 he would probably get salaries of $5-6M and $8-9M respectively. While those both might be a couple mil higher than what he was offered in a contract extension in 2009 they are not guaranteed so its high risk against somewhat low reward. Though my gut tells me he and agent arent dumb and probably dont want to go the arbitration route, they just want to reject the first offer to be able to negotiate an increased offer the second time around. I fully expect Danks to sign an extension at some point in the next year.

Good point, just as risky as it can be for the Sox to sign him to a 5 year guaranteed deal, it can be just as risky for him to go year by year through arbitration. Especially with the plethora of young pitchers that seem to get hurt nowadays, you never know what can happen.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 08:25 PM)
Good point, just as risky as it can be for the Sox to sign him to a 5 year guaranteed deal, it can be just as risky for him to go year by year through arbitration. Especially with the plethora of young pitchers that seem to get hurt nowadays, you never know what can happen.

If I were Danks, I'd definitely be trying to get a deal done this winter. He's had back-to-back rock-solid seasons and his value is higher now than it's ever been. Plus, as you alluded to, pitchers are so susceptible to arm injuries that holding out until free agency to make that big mega-contract is incredibly risky.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 11:36 AM)
The Sox have invested a lot of time in Danksy and Floyd. They are the future of our rotation- lets lock him up!

Our starting pitching could be absolutely filthy next year 1-5! :gosoxretro:

Now if we can get some hitters so we can score some runs we might make the playoffs .

QUOTE (WCSox @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 11:56 PM)
If I were Danks, I'd definitely be trying to get a deal done this winter. He's had back-to-back rock-solid seasons and his value is higher now than it's ever been. Plus, as you alluded to, pitchers are so susceptible to arm injuries that holding out until free agency to make that big mega-contract is incredibly risky.

On the other side of that coin, Danks may never see a worse market for contracts than the one he is looking at right now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 06:36 AM)
On the other side of that coin, Danks may never see a worse market for contracts than the one he is looking at right now.

That's true. It all depends on how much Danks is willing to gamble with his health.