Marcus Jordan - Adidas Situation

Not sure if this was posted anywhere yet. Looks like he's a chip of the ol' block...

A fight over the shoes Michael Jordan's son will wear at the University of Central Florida could cost the school financially.

Freshman guard Marcus Jordan is refusing to wear shoes made by adidas, the brand the university has a contract with for all its sports. He says he will only wear his father's Nike Air Jordan shoes because they hold special meaning to his family.

The problem is UCF is in the final year of its contract with adidas that requires coaches and athletes to use the company's apparel and equipment. UCF says its five-year deal with adidas ends June 30, 2010.

There have been media reports that UCF is negotiating a new deal that could be worth up to $3 million and last up to six years.

UCF said in a statement Thursday that adidas was aware of the situation during contract renewal discussions. The university says it was "led to believe that there would be a workable solution to a unique situation."

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you are attending a university that is paying for your education for you to play basketball and represent the school. put on the damn adidas and shut up. Its supposed to be about the school & university, not about what logo you are wearing or who is paying you to wear what

I read somewhere that young Jordan has agreed to wear everything else Adidas, but claims that the issue of shoes was discussed during his recruiting, and he was assured by the school that he could wear his father's Nike's. If that's true, than I side with Jordan; the school is probably gettting more out of having Jordan in terms of publicity than the other way around, since he obviously doesn't need the scholarship financially. I'd hate to think the school lied and pulled a "bait and switch."

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 12:10 PM)
I read somewhere that young Jordan has agreed to wear everything else Adidas, but claims that the issue of shoes was discussed during his recruiting, and he was assured by the school that he could wear his father's Nike's. If that's true, than I side with Jordan; the school is probably gettting more out of having Jordan in terms of publicity than the other way around, since he obviously doesn't need the scholarship financially. I'd hate to think the school lied and pulled a "bait and switch."

I think publicity is totally irrelevant. UCF signed a contract, Adidas paid money and provided equiptment for all of UCF teams, and thats what UCF players wear. No subsitutions, no exceptions.

If UCF lied to him during recruiting, it still doesnt matter, and I still dont side with Jordan. You wear the apparel the school provides

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 12:20 PM)
This is a special case. I'd have to go ahead and side with Jordan as well. The school did promise him that he would be allowed to wear the shoes. He has agreed to wear adidas everything else.

Thats because Nike isnt going to make an entire uniform for him because that would also be contract violation. This is bulls***, and this is only the beginning if it happens. All the kids coming up through AAU with Nike, Adidas and Reebok sponsored teams are going to be pulling the exact same s*** and nobody is going to be able to stop it because of this.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 12:24 PM)
Thats because Nike isnt going to make an entire uniform for him because that would also be contract violation. This is bulls***, and this is only the beginning if it happens. All the kids coming up through AAU with Nike, Adidas and Reebok sponsored teams are going to be pulling the exact same s*** and nobody is going to be able to stop it because of this.

Well, how many of the kids coming in have a father with his own brand of shoes?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 12:37 PM)
Well, how many of the kids coming in have a father with his own brand of shoes?

To the university, that should be irrelevant, they signed a contract with adidas and adidas has provided their part. If MJ wanted his kid to go to a Nike school, then he should have paraded his kid around Nike schools so this wouldnt be an issue

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 12:16 PM)
If UCF lied to him during recruiting, it still doesnt matter, and I still dont side with Jordan. You wear the apparel the school provides

I couldn't disagree more. But for the "lie" (assuming so for argument), he could have said "no thank you" to their scholarship and presumably gone somewhere with a Nike contract. Besides, fraudulent inducement to a contract is both legally actionable and morally wrong, especially if the school knowingly "lied" to get Jordan, Jr. in order to profit from the attendant publicity.

I do agree with you on the larger point of "one set of rules for all," but if they lied to him, all bets are way off. The honorable thing for the school to have done would have been to just say we can't make an exception, no matter how "special" the case.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

If I am adidas, there is no exception. UCF probably did lie during recruiiting, but if I am an administrator for UCF and I have a recruiter telling this kid he can do what he wants, and adidas pointing to a signed contract, there is only one way to solve this. Goodbye Marcus, or wear adidas. A sponsor isnt going to want its direct rival to be sharing the spotlight. And especially now, everytime he steps on the court this is going to come up somewhere, somehow, and Adidas is going to end up looknig like the b**** because they let it slide.

No way in hell I let this happen if I am in the front office

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 01:44 PM)
If I am adidas, there is no exception. UCF probably did lie during recruiiting, but if I am an administrator for UCF and I have a recruiter telling this kid he can do what he wants, and adidas pointing to a signed contract, there is only one way to solve this. Goodbye Marcus, or wear adidas. A sponsor isnt going to want its direct rival to be sharing the spotlight. And especially now, everytime he steps on the court this is going to come up somewhere, somehow, and Adidas is going to end up looknig like the b**** because they let it slide.

No way in hell I let this happen if I am in the front office

There is a very good chance something like this could have been a deal breaker during recruiting. If he was lied to, you can bet he leaves, and the university ends up burning a lot of future bridges with athletes who are thinking if they are willing to lie to MJs kid, are they telling me the truth?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)
There is a very good chance something like this could have been a deal breaker during recruiting. If he was lied to, you can bet he leaves, and the university ends up burning a lot of future bridges with athletes who are thinking if they are willing to lie to MJs kid, are they telling me the truth?

bring marshmallows, this bridge will be burned on both ends. Sponsors and Athletes

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 03:56 PM)
i think this deal with adidas actually provides all athletic apparel for every sport at the university, not just basketball & football.

It does. 1.4% of the revenue is from the adidas contract. That 1.4% might not sound like a lot but if UCF loses its contract, the school would be forced to buy all equipment, clothing and shoes at cost for the 15 sports.

Jordan claims UCF said that they worked out a deal with adidas and of course adidas says thats not true. If I was UCF I'd say wear the adidas shoes or get lost. There are already rumors of Jordan using UCF to break out in hopes of transferring to a bigger school.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 12:20 PM)
This is a special case. I'd have to go ahead and side with Jordan as well. The school did promise him that he would be allowed to wear the shoes. He has agreed to wear adidas everything else.

Agreed. Hell Nike basically helped paid the bills for his family all these years, not to mention he was extremely baited here. Marcus Jordan has a great case.

Edited by SoxAce

Usually I don't take the side of the player in cases like this but assuming the school did tell him they can make an exception, I'm siding with Jordan. I understand that the school has contractual issues to be worried about but they should've told him that up front.

He's Michael Jordan's kid. He isn't going to wear Adidas. I'm sure whoever recruited him told him that wouldn't be an issue. If I'm Michael Jordan's kid how in the world could I wear Adidas shoes? I think the university saw the benefit of adding a Jordan and lied through their teeth about the shoes.