Sox acquire Mark Teahen, $$$ for Getz/Fields

pmcochr

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 09:52 AM)
Rios could steal 20-25

Ramirez could steal 20-25

Beckham could steal 10-15

If Pods is back and healthy he could swipe 25-35

We have some players who could steal bases, but Getz was our best at doing it.

Nix had 10 last year in 94 games played...

Konerko could steal 1

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 09:52 AM)
Rios could steal 20-25

Ramirez could steal 20-25

Beckham could steal 10-15

If Pods is back and healthy he could swipe 25-35

We have some players who could steal bases, but Getz was our best at doing it.

Okay I guess you're right. It's just scary losing a fast guy like that after years of station to station slow base running...

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 10:52 AM)
Why all the love here for CJ? I think hes gonna be just a utility type not an above average player.

Last year that was what he looked like. But the kid just keeps hitting and hitting at every level and every challenge he faces. He's doing so-so right now in the AFL but if he comes into ST and lights it up or goes to Charlotte and starts hot he could very well play himself into a job here next year by June.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 09:50 AM)
So Placido Polanco stole SEVEN bases last year and got caught twice. If the Sox go after him, we'll still need speed.

I think Kenny has something else up his sleeve. I HOPE Kenny has something else up his sleeve...

Speed is not the end all be all. Just because a guy is fast doesn't make him good. I want good players, and if they happen to be fast, then so be it.

Besides that, guys that can get from 1st to 3rd or 2nd to home is all the faster that they need to be. Not everyone has to be a track star.

Ugh, I still cant get over losing a player that has really been the type of guy we've wanted the club to develop for years, getting back a power and K guy. If this is the real replacement for Dye in RF then the money we are going to spend is going to be at 2B, 3B, DH or in the pen.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 10:52 AM)
And only hours into the off season, K-Dubya announces the Sox are around and making noise. The marketing people applaud!! This trade seems to be a win-win for both teams. I have some misgivings, can see how this could turn ugly, but overall, nice move.

Looking at your avatar ... It's over!

I'm not too sure what to think. It kinda depends a lot on what else is going down. I'll miss Getz's speed that's for sure. Teahen is hardly a guy to get all excited about but he's certainly ok as part of the big plan whatever the f*** that turns out to be. I'm really hoping for Figgins.

I really like Getz, but he has quite a limited ceiling. Fields sucked. So we aren't losing a ton. But Teahen ain't that good either, so we aren't getting a ton, except for versatility — which can be quite valuable at times. I am just kinda meh at this point, not happy, not too angry. I'll wait to see what KW's master plan is before I react to this seemingly inconsequential deal.

I think he is going to be Nix's replacement, not Kotsay.

edit: wouldnt it be nice to have Gordon included in this deal with some extra Sox minor leaguers thrown in? Yeah I know I am dreaming, but when you dream, dream big

Edited by KyYlE23

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 11:05 AM)
Per cowley:

Sox have announced that Mark Kotsay was given a one-year, $1.5 million deal to return to the South Side as a key reserve

Well he's not Kotsay's replacement.

And I am completely fine with this. Gives PK a legit backup and he can still play the OF in a pinch. Solid veteran, good for the young guys and the clubhouse. Kudos Kenny

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 09:43 AM)
While I am a Getz fan, he is just a guy. He doesn't do one thing "well", just a bunch of things ok. There are certainly spots for that on teams, but it doesn't make him a guy you can't do without.

Now, if this means Nix is now the starter, I have an issue. The Sox are now filling RF with a cheap option. Thats fine, but it means another position can now be filled with a impact($$) player. It needs to happen.

Can't agree with you more about Getz, didn't hate the guy, but I failed to see how he was anything special

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 11:07 AM)
Well he's not Kotsay's replacement.

And I am completely fine with this. Gives PK a legit backup and he can still play the OF in a pinch. Solid veteran, good for the young guys and the clubhouse. Kudos Kenny

Beat me to it :-/