Sox acquire Mark Teahen, $$$ for Getz/Fields

pmcochr

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 09:12 AM)
I like this move quite a bit actually. Teahen is essentially a mega-utility player who scouts used to peg as the next Jason Giambi. He's not going to reach that, but he kills us. He kills in the Cell. Fields has no future here.

He particularly killed Buehrle (24-53, .453). Mark has to a happy camper.

Didn't Teahen have a good year when he played 3B everyday? Seems it's been downhill for him ever since they gave Gordon his position, bouncing him all around the field. Am I remembering this right?

I like our Gordon at 3B, period. I just don't get it; why are we adding 4+ million for Teahen when he doesn't have an everyday position here. We need a press conference.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 10:38 AM)
Who's going to be the stolen base threat now?

Beckham is good for 15.

Nix is good for 15

Rios can give you 25.

Missle could land you about 20.

Pods will get caught half the time, but manage in the upper 20's.

Edited by Thunderbolt

Guess we should wait until it is reported on the White Sox homepage.

I was never really a Getz fan but it does seem like it is too soon to give up on him, but like others said I think this would open the door for other moves.

Edited by ChWRoCk2

This move makes Beckham available if they deem that CJ and Nix can play second. Just saying.

Teahan is fast enough as he is not a clogger. I think the Sox realized this season that the speed thing will not work at the cell. They need guys that can run the bases and have some power.

This also adds a guy that can play multiple positions like Kotsay.

This team needs subtle moves this offseason nothing major and I think they will be one of hte best teams in baseball.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 11:22 AM)
This move makes Beckham available if they deem that CJ and Nix can play second. Just saying.

Teahan is fast enough as he is not a clogger. I think the Sox realized this season that the speed thing will not work at the cell. They need guys that can run the bases and have some power.

This team needs subtle moves this offseason nothing major and I think they will be one of hte best teams in baseball.

Available for what?

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 10:22 AM)

Wait...what?

Do people still not get that Beckham is the face of the franchise the next 10-15 years?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 10:13 AM)
This is a Retherford move, not a Nix move. If Retherford hits at all in spring, which he will be invited too, he has the job. I do, however, think that Teahen will gets some reps at 2b.

Pff, Retherford has Danny Richar written all over him. You can all slob him and say he's the next great thing, and I'll sit here and tell you that just breaking out at 24 in a fall league is a sign that he's getting lucky and he will suck.

Then he'll hit .200 or so and look like crap but people will still refuse to believe.

Then he will finally, a year later, be given away and fade to no man's land.

What is all this love about CJ? I particularly don't think much of him, if anything a role player off the bench of some sort. The minor league player love gets to be a tad ridiculous sometimes. Until they prove something I certainly don't want us plugging them into the lineup to start the season.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 10:22 AM)

LOL, not really. Just sayin

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 10:13 AM)
This is a Retherford move, not a Nix move. If Retherford hits at all in spring, which he will be invited too, he has the job. I do, however, think that Teahen will gets some reps at 2b.

If the White Sox plan on competing, they don't go into Spring Training with Retherford being the plan at 2B, and I don't think you can count on Teahen to do anything other than be a mega-utility player if he is indeed acquired.

You sign Hudson/Polanco for 2B or Beltre for 3B and move Beckham accordingly.