Sox acquire Mark Teahen, $$$ for Getz/Fields

pmcochr

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 03:55 PM)
The Rays just traded a better than average 2B with good OB and defensive skills for a mediocre middle reliever. The White Sox traded an unproven prospect who struck out 40 times in 116 plate appearances for a mediocre middle reliever.

You tell me who got better value.

good post

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 03:55 PM)
The Rays just traded a better than average 2B with good OB and defensive skills for a mediocre middle reliever. The White Sox traded an unproven prospect who struck out 40 times in 116 plate appearances for a mediocre middle reliever.

You tell me who got better value.

Chavez is also 26, and actually had a solid season last year with a live arm (I know.. sounds similar). The Rays scouting could have also liked him alot, not to mention I've always thought Iwamura was overrated. There's a difference from a player and a top org prospect. Now if you woulda mentioned the Sanchez/Alderson trade.. then yea.. I see your point.

Again.. I'm done with the issue.

Edited by SoxAce

I think people need to realize this trade is all about timing. KW and the sox realize they have about a 2 year window here to make a run with the way their rotation is set up. They have Buehrle through 2011, Peavy through 2012, and Danks & Flloyd until 2012. They also only have Konerko through 2010 and essentially have a weak division that has Cle going in reverse, Det tied with $120M payroll already, and a Twins team that is going to find its superstar hit Free Agency in a year. For the white sox the time to make a run is NOW.

While I am surprised the sox gave up on Getz, a speedy and solid defender at 2B, it is no surprise Fields is gone. According to Fangraphs, Fields could never even cover a major league fastball in his entire hitting career, he has no place playing professional baseball at all, IMO. The Tehan trade is a get better now and for the next 2 years move. He will probably make about $4-5M through his arbitration years, the next 3 seasons. He provides decent numbers, decent defense, decent speed, and good versatility.

I think this move allows to the sox to make their roster a versatile go for it now thing. No more slow base clogging life and pull players. This move allows the sox to play Tehan in RF and have an infield of Beckham at 3B, Alexi at SS, and Hudson/Polanco at 2B. Or on the other hand play Tehan at 3B, move Beckham to his natural SS, Alexi to 2B, and have room for Pods/other leadoff hitting OF. There is no way KW made this move to hand 2B to Jayson "no plate disciple" Nix. In a whole other scenario the sox have said they want a DH that can also play the field and rotate around, so Tehan can be used as a DH allowing more upgrades at either 2B, RF, or 3B.

In the end this move is defiantly just round 1 for KW on his roster make up. The sox are obviously moving for an overall more atheltic and consistent lineup to match the window of opportunity bestowed before them. As for the Royals they might as well just release Field I find him valueless (cant play D and cant hit), and for Getz, sure you got to give him his playing time, but he looks more like the next Greg Counsel than the next Ryne Sandberg.

Edited by joeynach

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 05:05 PM)
Sorry if this has been asked, but what is Teahen's contract status?

He is arbitration eligible for 2010, 2011 and is then a free agent. In 2009 with the Royals he made $3.575M. He is probably going to get between $3.8 and $5M for the next 2 seasons before Free agency.

Edited by joeynach

QUOTE (joeynach @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 04:15 PM)
He is arbitration eligible for 2010, 2011, and 2012. In 2009 with the Royals he made $3.3M. He is probably going to get between $3.5 and $5M for the next 3 seasons before Free agency.

He currently has 4.155 years of service so he'll be a free agent following the 2011 season, he also made $3.575M in '09 so he's looking at ~$3.8M to $4M in 2010.

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 05:18 PM)
I stand corrected. This is his last year of arbitiration. So he's a free agent after 2010.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2004/12/k...-royals_28.html

I dont think so, Cots baseball Contracts show that he is Arbitration eligible for 2010 and 2011, that means he was a super two player in 2008. Look at this link.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p4e...2XT3jaKQUybSXFA

Edited by joeynach

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 03:57 PM)
For all the people saying something like, "Let's wait til the end of the offseason to decide if we have holes", can the Mods please suspend their accounts until ST starts? Please? It will help to filter out garbage posts in long threads like these.

What if the person making the statement is, in fact, a mod. And what if the statement he is responding to is, in fact, overreactionary?

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 03:57 PM)
For all the people saying something like, "Let's wait til the end of the offseason to decide if we have holes", can the Mods please suspend their accounts until ST starts? Please? It will help to filter out garbage posts in long threads like these.

A good start to filtering out the garbage would be deleting your post.

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 04:18 PM)
I stand corrected. This is his last year of arbitiration. So he's a free agent after 2010.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2004/12/k...-royals_28.html

You can't file for free agency with 5.155 years of service, 2010 will be his 3rd year of arbitration eligibility because he was a Super Two player.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 04:21 PM)
What if the person making the statement is, in fact, a mod. And what if the statement he is responding to is, in fact, overreactionary?

Ky, the whole fun of being a Sox fan is trying to figure out KW during the offseason. This is the time to make exaggerant predictions and get called stupid for it. Keep it light, and let the opinoins fly my man!

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 05:29 PM)
Ky, the whole fun of being a Sox fan is trying to figure out KW during the offseason. This is the time to make exaggerant predictions and get called stupid for it. Keep it light, and let the opinoins fly my man!

:unsure:

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 04:34 PM)
And by no means am I saying Getz is a star, just that I liked his intangibles and the tools and thought he had the ability to be a .300 hitter with a .360 or so OBP, solid D, and 30+ steals and some good base-running.

I know we've done this before, and the deadh horse is really starting to stink, right now, but i'll always contend that there's nothing in Getzs' major and minor league track record that says he'll ever have an OBP above .340. His trends suggest this. I alos don't see the solid D, or .300 or for that matter. I could see a consistent .280 not being out of the realm of chance. I do agree with you on his base-running and speed, but i don't think that outweights his deficiencies as a player

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 04:29 PM)

Actually the whole fun of being a Sox fan is watching the team on the field and cheering them on.