Sox acquire Mark Teahen, $$$ for Getz/Fields

pmcochr

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 04:41 PM)

I know we've done this before, and the deadh horse is really starting to stink, right now, but i'll always contend that there's nothing in Getzs' major and minor league track record that says he'll ever have an OBP above .340. His trends suggest this. I alos don't see the solid D, or .300 or for that matter. I could see a consistent .280 not being out of the realm of chance. I do agree with you on his base-running and speed, but i don't think that outweights his deficiencies as a player

since you keep pulling the whip out

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/Players/G/Chris-Getz.shtml

There are two years in his entire career including college that he had an OBP under .340, so your track record talk is a bit of nonsense

crap, now that I look at it, Nix was all over the place

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/N/Jayson-Nix.shtml

Edited by KyYlE23

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 11:22 PM)
You can't file for free agency with 5.155 years of service, 2010 will be his 3rd year of arbitration eligibility because he was a Super Two player.

I read it wrong. I saw that he had avoided arbitration twice so I figured he had one more year.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 04:01 PM)
Chavez is also 26, and actually had a solid season last year with a live arm (I know.. sounds similar). The Rays scouting could have also liked him alot, not to mention I've always thought Iwamura was overrated. There's a difference from a player and a top org prospect. Now if you woulda mentioned the Sanchez/Alderson trade.. then yea.. I see your point.

Again.. I'm done with the issue.

I know you're done, but I want to have a look at this one time, and then we can kill it.

Chavez - 73 games, 67.1 IP, 4.01 ERA, 1.35 WHIP, 1.5 HR/9, 2.9 BB/9, 6.3 K/9, 2.14 K/BB

Pena - 72 games, 70 IP, 3.99 ERA, 1.44 WHIP, 0.9 HR/9, 2.6 BB/9, 7.1 K/9, 2.75 K/BB

Chavez is entering his age 26 season, Pena his age 28 season. It doesn't look like much of a difference to me; if anything, it appears that Pena is a prime candidate to have a great season next year if his BABIP is in a much more normal range, like right around .290-.300. He's been right around .325-.330 the past two seasons, which is abnormally high. With a likely improved defense behind him, Pena could be in for a very good season this upcoming year, especially with half a season of experience under his belt.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 04:47 PM)

There are two years in his entire career including college that he had an OBP under .340, so your track record talk is a bit of nonsense

crap, now that I look at it, Nix was all over the place

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/N/Jayson-Nix.shtml

All we know from Nix's minor league career is that if you go to one of his games, there is a 60% chance he's going to strike out at least once that game.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 05:47 PM)

Throw out the college stats, i'm not interested in metal bat fueled numbers. Getz's career minor league OBP is .362. Over two years in AA Getz put up .326 and .382 , In AAA .366. Averaging out Getz's OBP is the upper levels of the system we put his OBP around .350. Now, Getz put up a .324 OPB in the majors ,after dealing with a broken wrist which could just sap him of a lot of his strength and quickness. Now, given Getzs' complete lack of pop it's likely he will be pitched too rather then around. Allowing for major league improvement and an approach rather then a match of his minor league numbers, i'd suggest that .340 is very possible, if not probable.

Getz and Fields traded for Teahen? Source says yes, Getz says 'Bizarre'

By

Joe Cowley

on November 5, 2009 10:19 AM

One word summed up Thursday for Chris Getz - "Bizarre.''

The second baseman woke up a member of the White Sox, but by the time breakfast came to an end he was headed to Kansas City.

At least that's what a New York Daily News story was reporting.

The paper had Getz and disgruntled third baseman Josh Fields fitted for royal blue uniforms with the Sox getting 28-year-old Jack of all trades, master of none, Mark Teahen coming to the South Side.

A source close to the situation then confirmed to the Sun-Times that the deal was all but done, but there were still talks about the possibility of minor-league prospects being involved. There was the hold up.

Meanwhile, the Sox and Royals each told different media outlets that they had nothing to report on the matter, and that included letting Getz in on what was going on.

"I have no idea what's going on,'' Getz responded in a text.

That stance didn't change for the infielder as the day went on, still not hearing anything on the matter from the Sox - either confirming or denying the trade.

Yet, no one in the organization, including general manager Ken Williams, returned texts on the matter. Not even a "Stay out of White Sox business'' from the GM - a line he likes to use concerning rumored trades.

But while the rumored deal initially raised some eyebrows, it did make sense considering the trail of breadcrumbs left by the club the last few months of the season.

The two free agents on their radar going into the 2009-10 offseason were Bobby Abreu and Chone Figgins, but those close to Abreu in the Sox organization already knew that Abreu and the Angels were in discussions to keep him in Los Angeles, which came to fruition on Thursday afternoon with the news of his two-year deal. That left Figgins still with a bull's eye on his back, but an expensive one at that.

The Sox have also all but indicated that free agent-to-be Jermaine Dye will not have his $12 million option picked up for 2010, allowing him to test the market after the 15-day window from Thursday closes.

There were initial talks with Scott Podsednik to re-sign with the club, but that might have been nothing more than a PR move by the club, allowing them to stall and find out the asking price for Figgins in just over two weeks.

If Teahen, who hit .271 with 12 homers and 50 RBI last season, is in fact South Side bound, his versatility to play the outfield or third base gives the club options as they move forward in building the 2010 team. Teahen could allow the Sox to move Gordon Beckam to second base. Two weeks ago, manager Ozzie Guillen said that he saw Beckham as a future second baseman when asked if Beckham could ever return to his natural position of shortstop.

The other option is that the Sox will play Teahen in the outfield, moving Beckham to second and clearing the way for Figgins to be the third baseman.

Jayson Nix could also be in the mix, but Guillen was not happy with the at-bats the free-swinging Nix gave away and said he would need to be more selective if he wanted to make the team next season.

What the Sox did announce on Thursday morning was that they agreed to a one-year, $1.5 million contract for free agent-to-be Mark Kotsay. The versatile Kotsay gives Guillen a backup first baseman, as well as an outfielder to rotate around. More importantly, Kotsay emerged as a team leader from Day 1 and was an instant favorite of Guillen's.

As far as where the Field, Getz, Teahen deal is, stay tuned.

Bizarre indeed.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 05:05 PM)
Throw out the college stats, i'm not interested in metal bat fueled numbers. Getz's career minor league OBP is .362. Over two years in AA Getz put up .326 and .382 , In AAA .366. Averaging out Getz's OBP is the upper levels of the system we put his OBP around .350. Now, Getz put up a .324 OPB in the majors ,after dealing with a broken wrist which could just sap him of a lot of his strength and quickness. Now, given Getzs' complete lack of pop it's likely he will be pitched too rather then around. Allowing for major league improvement and an approach rather then a match of his minor league numbers, i'd suggest that .340 is very possible, if not probable.

um what? are you now saying that Getz is likely to have an OBP of .340?

Edited by KyYlE23

Can you please apply that same logic you just did to Nix's minor league line of .261 .332 .415

Hahaha... like pitchers are gonna f*** around with Jayson Nix. Oooh, Nix has pop, better watch out! They'll continue to eat him alive the same way they go after Josh Fields. Why? Because he sucks. I honestly had no major problem with Nix until you started all this. I thought he was a decent bench player and that's it. But now, I'm really beginning to strongly dislike that kind young man.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

Another BAD trade. Besides getting CQ/Peavy when's the last time we made a decent trade. Getz is better than Teahen and will be cheaper, younger, for more years. Getz is faster, better OBP, Defense. We can't compete with Yankees/Angels/BoSox/Twins unless we get some REAL TALENT here not trading young talent for average players.

Edited by b-Rye

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 05:31 PM)
Hahaha... like pitchers are gonna f*** around with Jayson Nix. Oooh, Nix has pop, better watch out! They'll continue to eat him alive the same way they go after Josh Fields. Why? Because he sucks. I honestly had no major problem with Nix until you started all this. I thought he was a decent bench player and that's it. But now, I'm really beginning to hate that f***ing asshole.

Nix won't even be on the Sox next season. If you read Cowley's article, Guillen and Sox management don't like Nix and his K-tastic bat one bit. They have already told Nix that he won't be on the roster unless he magically makes himself into an actual contact hitter. And that's not going to happen. They'll keep Lillibridge up next season before they keep Nix.

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 05:35 PM)
Another BAD trade. Besides getting CQ/Peavy when's the last time we made a decent trade. Getz is better than Teahen and will be cheaper, younger, for more years. Getz is faster, better OBP, Defense. We can't compete with Yankees/Angels/BoSox/Twins unless we get some REAL TALENT here not trading young talent for average players.

I think you can make an argument between Getz and Teahen depending on who you are and what you're looking for from this team, but I'm pretty sure there's not a $4M difference in ability between the two. We're not comparing two 2B either because Mark Teahen doesn't belong at 2B any more than Wilson Betemit belonged at SS. I'm still holding out a tiny shred of hope that the deal looks lopsided in favor of the Royals only because we're about to dump Linebrink off on them.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 05:42 PM)
Nix won't even be on the Sox next season. If you read Cowley's article, Guillen and Sox management don't like Nix and his K-tastic bat one bit. They have already told Nix that he won't be on the roster unless he magically makes himself into an actual contact hitter. And that's not going to happen. They'll keep Lillibridge up next season before they keep Nix.

I'm pretty sure I'm at least partly responsible for reviving the Getz-Nix crap by saying in the AFL thread that CJ Retherford could take Nix's job, but you can't say such things around here unless you want to argue. And I agree with you, the Sox are going to make it very hard on Nix this Spring Training and right now it's not looking good for him.

I mean, that is just flat out wrong. Last year Teahen had a .325 and Getz had a .324, so they were basically the same, and Teahen's career OBP is .331

CQ, Peavy, Floyd, Danks, Flowers,, I guess you can count Rios since we traded salary. So basically this year, last year, the year before.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 05:01 PM)
CQ, Peavy, Floyd, Danks, Flowers,, I guess you can count Rios since we traded salary. So basically this year, last year, the year before.

Not to mention getting Billy Pierce for Aaron Robinson. That was a steal.

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 12:16 PM)
What Kenny acquired was a versatile LH bat. The guy can play like 5 positions. That means we can put Teahen at 2B and try and sign a RF. Or put Teahen in RF and try and sign a 2B. Teahen is no star but I bet he'll perform better with a change of scenery.

Interesting that KW picked up another underachieving 1st rounder.

As I was driving back from an appointment, I was thinking just that. As a first move, this is awesome. Kenny has more options today in what to go searching for. So based on who becomes available and at what price, anything is doable. What can't he use now to upgrade without losing too much? CF and C??

QUOTE (PlunketChris @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 06:03 PM)
So.. is this deal actually happening or was everyone jumping the gun on a strong rumor?

This has to be going down because as others have said in this thread, the Sox wouldn't leave these guys hanging if this wasn't pretty much done. There's something else keeping this from being finished though, and that we don't know.