Sox acquire Mark Teahen, $$$ for Getz/Fields

pmcochr

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 06:15 PM)
This has to be going down because as others have said in this thread, the Sox wouldn't leave these guys hanging if this wasn't pretty much done. There's something else keeping this from being finished though, and that we don't know.

Mark Gonzalez said on CTL that the moving of Callaspo could be why it's not done yet. I apologize if someone had already mentioned, I'm lazy today :)

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 06:17 PM)
Mark Gonzalez said on CTL that the moving of Callaspo could be why it's not done yet. I apologize if someone had already mentioned, I'm lazy today :)

as in, Callaspo is supposed to be part of the deal and the Royals are hesitating? Or is Callaspo supposed to be moved elsewhere?

BOTH Swish trades, Thome, Griffey trade, Rios Contract/Salary, Tony Pena, Horacio Ramirez, Vasquez (Maybe made playoffs last year with him instead of Colon/Contreras Crap Starts), That crap backup catcher we got last year... all I can think of recently.. Anyways I just don't like the direction this team's going in besides getting Peavy..

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 06:20 PM)
as in, Callaspo is supposed to be part of the deal and the Royals are hesitating? Or is Callaspo supposed to be moved elsewhere?

As in they're not gonna get nearly as much for Callaspo if Getz is already a member of the Royals.

So yes, the latter.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 11:55 PM)
Speed is not the end all be all. Just because a guy is fast doesn't make him good. I want good players, and if they happen to be fast, then so be it.

Besides that, guys that can get from 1st to 3rd or 2nd to home is all the faster that they need to be. Not everyone has to be a track star.

yes thank you i mean what is this speed speed speed we play in the cell people yes we need to get faster as a team overall but not lose our power 2 or 3 guys who can steal bases is plenty but more importantly is guys who can score from 2nd or even first on a double .

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 06:20 PM)
BOTH Swish trades, Thome, Griffey trade, Rios Contract/Salary, Tony Pena, Horacio Ramirez, Vasquez (Maybe made playoffs last year with him instead of Colon/Contreras Crap Starts), That crap backup catcher we got last year... all I can think of recently.. Anyways I just don't like the direction this team's going in besides getting Peavy..

Once again proving you have no idea what you are talking about.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 06:20 PM)
No it doesn't. Someone leaked the information. I'm going to assume both Williams and Moore are very unhappy with this. Obviously, there is something holding this deal back. That means both sides have not agreed to the terms. If they can't, then Getz and Fields stay put, for now.

I certainly don't think they are past the point of no return. It's a rumor that got leaked. Simple as that.

I get what you're saying, but this reported deal came out early this morning in the newspaper and as of the evening both Getz and Teahen didn't know what was going on. Clearly the Sox and Royals both know the report is out there. If a deal was being worked on but not pretty much agreed on and finished, then both clubs would have notified their players and said nothing was going on, don't you think? There was a report a couple years ago that came out saying we traded Garland to the Astros, and another report last year saying we had dealt Dye to the Reds for Bailey. The Sox IIRC reacted pretty quickly on those, but not this one. Plus Cowley has supposedly gotten enough confirmation for the Sun Times to put the story up.

I agree that it was all leaked early and that both teams are probably very pissed about it. But I think the talks are real, the names are right (although there could be others), the framework is pretty much all there, and they haven't said anything because they're expecting to finalize it soon.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 10:02 AM)
I really like Getz, but he has quite a limited ceiling. Fields sucked. So we aren't losing a ton. But Teahen ain't that good either, so we aren't getting a ton, except for versatility — which can be quite valuable at times. I am just kinda meh at this point, not happy, not too angry. I'll wait to see what KW's master plan is before I react to this seemingly inconsequential deal.

That's pretty much how I feel about this deal. It's not something to get up in arms about and it's really hard to evaluate individual offseason trades with KW. Usually you have to look at the finished work.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 11:52 AM)
You don't move Gordon Beckham for Mark Teahan.

I don't think you are moving Beckham for Teahen. You are getting Teahen to move Beckham. Beckham just got moved to 3rd, which is a tougher transition from SS. I don't see why he wouldn't be able to handle 2B. We don't know where Teahen is going to play and I don't know why people are so sure he will play OF.

I don't know why you think Getz will hit .300 in the bigs, but that's me.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 12:07 PM)
I hate all the leadoff hitter talk. Leadoff hitters hit once a game, for one thing. For another thing, OBP trumps speed, you don't HAVE to have a speedster at the top. And most importantly, its just not smart to acquire players based on hitting slot specifically, because you essentially corner yourself in the market and limit your possibilities. This is the same in any line of business. You don't go recruit people that are ideal for a fourth of their job, you recruit people that are best overall for the WHOLE job.

You assemble the best 9 guys you can, then make the lineup from there.

This has to be my favorite post of yours ever.

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 01:15 PM)
I think Beckham was just a stop gap at 3rd base. He never translated into a 3rd baseman from what I saw. He was always seen as a middle infielder with shortstop being a bit of a stretch. I think he was always put in as a 2nd baseman and desperation led to him filling in at 3rd last year.

Absolutely agree. Beckham's value is higher at 2B. I don't see why we wouldn't be able to handle the spot with ST to work on it.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 06:50 PM)
I get what you're saying, but this reported deal came out early this morning in the newspaper and as of the evening both Getz and Teahen didn't know what was going on. Clearly the Sox and Royals both know the report is out there. If a deal was being worked on but not pretty much agreed on and finished, then both clubs would have notified their players and said nothing was going on, don't you think? There was a report a couple years ago that came out saying we traded Garland to the Astros, and another report last year saying we had dealt Dye to the Reds for Bailey. The Sox IIRC reacted pretty quickly on those, but not this one. Plus Cowley has supposedly gotten enough confirmation for the Sun Times to put the story up.

I agree that it was all leaked early and that both teams are probably very pissed about it. But I think the talks are real, the names are right (although there could be others), the framework is pretty much all there, and they haven't said anything because they're expecting to finalize it soon.

That deal with the Astros had legs. Supposedly KW was asking for Taveras, Hirsh, Buccholz, and Pence for Garland but Purpura was unwilling to include Pence in the deal so it fell through. The first 3 were dealt shortly there after for Jason Jennings.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 06:50 PM)

I agree the principles have probably been agreed upon, they may be haggling about money, perhaps the Sox want some money as well, or maybe the Royals have to make another deal first, or maybe the Sox were moving Teahen along and that deal has to be completed. I know a lot of scouts have had a hard on for Teahen for a while, but he's been pretty mediocre for a while now and is going to make around $5 million. I know he can play several positions but so could Andy Gonzalez. I hope Teahen isn't being acquired to be an every day White Sox.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 06:24 PM)
I shook my head at that last statement of his. Talk about flip flopping.

I said there's a chance he could get to .340. Would you like to write an actual rebuttal or focus on minute issues? I contend that mid 330's is likely, and that .340 is not out of the realm. I've always been consistent about this

Edited by Thunderbolt

My god people we talk about Chris Getz like he accomplished something here. Is he the new BA? The new Sweeney? Is this what we're trying to do here? There's no raw data to support Getz being anything other then a utility player. Intangibles are fine, but if a player lacks the track record and skill set to back said intangibles, it's pretty much a dead issue. I like Nix no doubt about it, but i can't write him in a starter. Why? Becasue he has enough issues to make his place on this team, a legitmate question mark, but he has the skill set. He has that potential, he doesn't rely on some distant intangibles, he relies on good d and solid pop. It usually produces results. And if it doesn't? We cut our losses and move on.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 07:11 PM)
My god people we talk about Chris Getz like he accomplished something here. Is he the new BA? The new Sweeney? Is this what we're trying to do here? There's no raw data to support Getz being anything other then a utility player. Intangibles are fine, but if a player lacks the track record and skill set to back said intangibles, it's pretty much a dead issue. I like Nix no doubt about it, but i can't write him in a starter. Why? Becasue he has enough issues to make his place on this team, a legitmate question mark, but he has the skill set. He has that potential, he doesn't rely on some distant intangibles, he relies on good d and solid pop. It usually produces results. And if it doesn't? We cut our losses and move on.

Getz was at least as good as Teahen was last year and Getz was a rookie. He also plays a premium defensive position which, while he's not a Gold Glover at yet, he's pretty decent. I don't mind moving Getz, and most people here wouldn't mind it as he's a nice player, but no one to lose sleep over. It's who we traded for in return. And unless Beckham is going to SS, Alexei back to 2B, Teahen to 3B and a stud RF/LF are happening(which it may, I definitely don't know), then this move is a lateral one at best because Teahen isn't great against anyone, but us.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 07:11 PM)

I like Getz but if they trade him they trade him. I don't like the idea of picking up mediocrity and adding $5 million to the payroll of a team that has never said they were flush with cash, but has said the exact opposite for years. I really believe Teahen was a non tender candidate.

Teahen's only two years older then Getz, and has always stood to have a substancial gain in power. He rakes in the cell, and while i don't think he's ever going to reach his projections i do believe a line of .275 20 hr's and 85's RBI's is possible. I like the move, it reminds me a bit of the Q trade. A former 1st round pick who hasn't figured it out.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 07:26 PM)
Phil Rogers is commenting that the deal allows the Sox to potentially explore a Konerko trade, which would than free up payroll to make a FA splash.

An unnamed scout is indicating that the Sox are likely going to get cash.

I am not surprised with the PK trade talk, but, I fail to see what it has to do with this trade.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 07:26 PM)
Phil Rogers is commenting that the deal allows the Sox to potentially explore a Konerko trade, which would than free up payroll to make a FA splash.

An unnamed scout is indicating that the Sox are likely going to get cash.

I hope they get cash. It makes no sense to add $4 million to your payroll for this guy.

I like the idea of trading PK a lot as I think he's the main proponent to the chemistry issues. I don't see what it has to do with this trade though unless they plan on bringing back Dye or Thome as DH's, and adding a Nick Johnson type of guy at 1B with a raker or Adam Dunn in the OF/1B slot.

Please trade PK though before his value goes down the tube.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 05:29 PM)
I am not surprised with the PK trade talk, but, I fail to see what it has to do with this trade.

Teahen can play first base so you can trade Paulie and not have to be overly concerned with filling the hole at first.