Sox acquire Mark Teahen, $$$ for Getz/Fields

pmcochr

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 06:37 PM)
It could free up first base for a Dye resigning...

I thought that this was a really bad idea at first, but it makes sense the more that I think about it. PK is as good as gone next winter, JD can be re-signed for much cheaper and wants to stay with the Sox, and the organization is in need of salary relief. I have a tough time seeing PK dealt, but two years of JD at $10M total is probably worth more than one year of PK at $10M.

That said, I'm not sure that I even want JD at 1B at this point, especially with the back problems that he was supposedly battling through recently. At his age, I'd be more inclined to DH him to protect his health.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (beck72 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 02:31 AM)
Teahan isn't the power bat to replace PK. Though he is likely to see an increase in SLG% hitting at the Cell. Even if the sox are on the hook for $3.5 mill for 2010, that seems like a lot for Teahan. Esp. as he doesn't seem above average in any facet of the game.

I agree with this. For a team with a couple dubious-to-bad contracts already (Rios, Linebrink), trading a cheap, mediocre (but with upside) player like Getz for a much more expensive mediocre player like Teahen makes little sense to me. The Sox are going to need to cut back at some point. If Teahen isn't dealt as a part of a larger deal, I'm pretty sure that Bobby is dealt/released this winter.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 05:52 AM)
I agree with this. For a team with a couple dubious-to-bad contracts already (Rios, Linebrink), trading a cheap, mediocre (but with upside) player like Getz for a much more expensive mediocre player like Teahen makes little sense to me. The Sox are going to need to cut back at some point. If Teahen isn't dealt as a part of a larger deal, I'm pretty sure that Bobby is dealt/released this winter.

Release jenks? You really think he is potentially worth nothing whatsoever? Unless he does something extremely severe in his personal life, there is zero chance they would release him.

For what it is worth i highly dislike this unconfirmed trade, as it hinders us rather than benefits us, is multiple ways.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 11:38 PM)
Still not seeing the problem with having a legitmate baseball debate here. Not sure how discussing the motivations and the ramifications behind a debate is "ruining" it. We're allowed to disagree here, if you want me to back off, i'll back off, i'm just not seeing the point of contention.

It has become an obsession and a distraction to the thread as a whole. It has gotten to the point where you aren't even arguing the samethings anymore, and are actually arguing against yourself at points. It is just silly at this point and really isn't germane to the discussion at hand. If you want to start a thread on whatever it is you are trying to prove (hate Getz, love Nix) feel free. Just let it go here.

QUOTE (tommy @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 10:36 PM)
I mentioned Figgins earlier but was told 'sign Pujols and Utley' while at it..

I like Figgins/Hudson to cover the infield, but if we signed Hudson who would be much cheaper than Chone, I'd still like to somehow bring Ellsbury to be the leadoff guy.

EDIT; how frustrating it must be for the involved parties that this is still a rumor, it's like Peavy to the Sox version 1 all over again.

Come on, you should know that Big Sqwert is a joker, that wasnt serious. Just read his posts in green. Or pretend that his avatar is saying it. Both should make you laugh

Wasn't there a rumor a little bit ago about Alexei for Ellersby,with other players mixed in? Maybe this is a pre-cursor to that. Teahan at 3rd and Beckham goes to SS. The thing that bothered me most about Getz is, that for not being a power hitter, he seemed to be a dead pull hitter. Maybe the Sox go speed all the way and re-sign Pods and add Figgins while having Teahan play 2b. They would have a lineup of Pods, Ellersby, Rios in the OF and Figgins, Beckham, Teahan, and PK in the IF with CQ being the DH.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,4844270.story

A reported trade the White Sox didn't announce Thursday overshadowed the team's re-signing of Mark Kotsay.

The Sox wouldn't confirm reports they have acquired versatile left-handed hitter Mark Teahen from the Royals for starting second baseman Chris Getz and infielder Josh Fields.

Although several scouting sources acknowledged the teams thoroughly evaluated and discussed personnel, neither Getz nor the agent for Fields said they had been informed they had been traded.

Nor had Getz, who underwent a sports hernia operation Oct. 2, been asked to take a physical examination, which usually is the final step to complete a trade involving a player recovering from an injury.

"I've heard nothing at all," Getz said, adding a Sox official told him they weren't commenting on rumors.

Teahen, 28, fits Sox general manager Ken Williams' profile as an extra-base hitter to extend rallies and improve the Sox's on-base percentage.

Shortly after Getz said Thursday he is nearly able to resume baseball work, resurgent leadoff hitter Scott Podsednik and backup catcher Ramon Castro filed for free agency on the first day for eligible players.

The Sox maintain exclusive negotiating rights to their free agents for a 15-day window that started Thursday.

The Sox haven't made an announcement regarding right fielder Jermaine Dye, who can become a free agent if the Sox decide to give him a $1 million buyout instead of picking up his $12 million option.

According to the New York Daily News, which first reported the trade story, Teahen would replace Dye in right field. But a scout familiar with the Sox's dealings said the club has contemplated moving rookie sensation Gordon Beckham to second base, which could pave the way for Teahen to return to his natural position at third.

If Teahen is targeted for right, the Sox could pursue a second baseman via trade or free agency.

Meanwhile, Kotsay, 33, who batted .292 with the Sox after being acquired from Boston on July 28, fortifies the Sox's depth and gives them a premier left-handed pinch hitter.

The signing of Kotsay means the Sox have committed more than $74 million to 12 players for 2010. Adding Teahen, who is arbitration eligible, could push that total to $80 million and create another significant deal with a payroll not expected to exceed the mid-$90 million range with closer Bobby Jenks, pitcher John Danks and outfielder Carlos Quentin also arbitration eligible but currently unsigned.

Teahen is a lifetime .269 hitter who has averaged 29 doubles in his five seasons and can hit to all fields.

He played 107 games at third base in 2009, after Alex Gordon suffered an injury, but played the outfield extensively in 2007-08.

Adding some intrigue to the reported trade involving Getz is that the Royals already have Alberto Callaspo, 26, who batted .300 in 155 games, as their second baseman.

"We're in discussions with a lot of clubs about a lot of things," Royals general manager Dayton Moore said in a statement. "There is nothing to announce yet, and we won't comment (about trade rumors) until there is something to announce."

The Royals are looking for young, inexpensive players to compensate for a lack of talent at the upper minor league levels and have scouted the entire Sox system.

Trading Fields is no surprise because he and his agent inquired about a trade in late July after he was optioned to Triple-A Charlotte, nearly two months after losing his starting third base job to Beckham.

Fields, 26, could receive time at first base if the Royals elect not to tender Mike Jacobs a contract and could serve as insurance at third for Gordon.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 06:54 AM)
For what it is worth i highly dislike this unconfirmed trade, as it hinders us rather than benefits us, is multiple ways.

I thought it was pretty decent at first, though I am thinking more and more its not that great. But I don't think it hinders or hurts the team. I think its a deal that leaves a lot of flexibility for the club in who they acquire, so its not boxing the team into a corner. I am thinking now that Teahen is basically insurance. Wherever they end up NOT filling a gap (2B, 3B, OF), he could play there, if things don't work out just right for KW in the offseason. If things DO work out just right, Teahen is a nice backup/lefty bat at nearly every position on the field (though he doesn't play defense at any of them very well).

I think this deal indicates that Kenny is looking at doing a LOT of moves. Just my feeling about it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...,4267298.column

Mark Teahen might be Kenny Williams' perfect player. He's a good hitter and he can move all over the field, making him a candidate for playing time at third base, second base, first base, left field , right field and DH.

Like the signing of first baseman-outfielder Mark Kotsay, Teahen's arrival -- not yet official, although widely reported -- would position the White Sox to deal Paul Konerko this winter, assuming Konerko is willing to waive his no-trade rights.

Konerko has one year left on his contract and isn't believed to have received overtures about staying past 2010. He could be attractive to teams looking for leadership and run-production, with San Francisco, Arizona, Boston and the Angels among the possibilities. Shedding his $12-million salary would make it easier to pursue a top free agent, such as the long rumored Chone Figgins.

No one is saying the White Sox are going to trade Konerko. Unless someone pays a premium for him, they shouldn't. He and Mark Buehrle are still the cornerstones this team is built upon.

But with Williams' perpetual need to do something, you never know.

Like Clayton Richard, who was sent to San Diego in the Jake Peavy trade, Chris Getz will be missed. He's a good young player who was a pleasure for everyone he encountered around U.S. Cellular Field. The questions with him are his bat and his health.

Yes, those are big drawbacks.

Getz's instincts and speed make him an exciting player, the kind the Sox consistently lacked in the Konerko- Jermaine Dye- Jim Thome era. But take a good look at his line from the 107 games he played last season: a ,261 batting average, .324 on-base percentage and .408 slugging average.

Now look at the same numbers for Jayson Nix.

Nix, not a sure thing himself, put up his numbers in a tougher role – off the bench. He is a more productive hitter than Getz at this point. His fielding skills have been underrated in Chicago. And prospect C.J. Retherford, who hit .297 with 10 home runs included in his 60 extra-base hits last year for Double-A Birmingham, is on essentially the same level as Getz and Nix.

Point is, Getz was almost as expendable as Josh Fields, who failed when given his big-league shots.

The Teahen trade, like the Kotsay re-signing, isn't a huge move. But it makes sense.

The question, as always with Williams, is what comes next?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 08:08 AM)
It has become an obsession and a distraction to the thread as a whole. It has gotten to the point where you aren't even arguing the samethings anymore, and are actually arguing against yourself at points. It is just silly at this point and really isn't germane to the discussion at hand. If you want to start a thread on whatever it is you are trying to prove (hate Getz, love Nix) feel free. Just let it go here.

I agree to drop it. i disagree with your premise, but i understand your point. So, we'll let it go. I'm sorry if i was a distraction or a burden to this thread, but i think it's nice to be somewhat passionate about our team and the players within it. My point has been not to worry, things will be fine even without Getz. Keep the faith. Let's discuss more practical matters. Southsider, do you see this as another piece of the KW puzzle move, or is this a solution to a bigger problem?(whether that be LF or 2b?)

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 09:14 PM)
Wasn't there a rumor a little bit ago about Alexei for Ellersby,with other players mixed in? Maybe this is a pre-cursor to that. Teahan at 3rd and Beckham goes to SS. The thing that bothered me most about Getz is, that for not being a power hitter, he seemed to be a dead pull hitter. Maybe the Sox go speed all the way and re-sign Pods and add Figgins while having Teahan play 2b. They would have a lineup of Pods, Ellersby, Rios in the OF and Figgins, Beckham, Teahan, and PK in the IF with CQ being the DH.

i think many here are way to caught up in this speed players we need some speed and guys who can go 1st to third and 2nd to home . remember people we play in the cell if we want a slap hitting speedy team then change the dimensions in the cell .

QUOTE (1977 sox fan @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 09:12 AM)
i think many here are way to caught up in this speed players we need some speed and guys who can go 1st to third and 2nd to home . remember people we play in the cell if we want a slap hitting speedy team then change the dimensions in the cell .

i agree. I just think OG and KW may be obsessed with getting guys who can run. We definitely need a couple 30 HR threats at least. That's why i'd like to see either a Dunn or Blalock be brought in instead of a guy like Polanco.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 08:04 AM)
I agree to drop it. i disagree with your premise, but i understand your point. So, we'll let it go. I'm sorry if i was a distraction or a burden to this thread, but i think it's nice to be somewhat passionate about our team and the players within it. My point has been not to worry, things will be fine even without Getz. Keep the faith. Let's discuss more practical matters. Southsider, do you see this as another piece of the KW puzzle move, or is this a solution to a bigger problem?(whether that be LF or 2b?)

It is step one, there is no doubt in my mind. I think Kenny realizes that a move like this allows him to do many different things as the pieces he has left can be arranged many different ways.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 09:18 AM)
It is step one, there is no doubt in my mind. I think Kenny realizes that a move like this allows him to do many different things as the pieces he has left can be arranged many different ways.

I remember back in 2004, watching the Rex Sox advance towards the World Series, how it always struck me that their bench was so deep and versatile that they could field a contending team no matter what happened to a starter. i think having guys like Kotsay, Teahen and Nix rotating in-and-off the bench, only makes us deeper and better. We're moving in the right direction to contend for years to come.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 10:17 PM)
i agree. I just think OG and KW may be obsessed with getting guys who can run. We definitely need a couple 30 HR threats at least. That's why i'd like to see either a Dunn or Blalock be brought in instead of a guy like Polanco.
or maybe try for Gamel ?

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 10:17 PM)
Maybe Kenny will go out and get Adrian Gonzales if he did that i would be one happy fan .

I'd like to get a lefty-power bat for DH and a lefty-power arm for the pen. Those are my glaring needs. If we can find a better option at 2b too, i'm game, i just don't find that as pressing as replacing Thome and getting a second lefty. The pipedream hear is Chapman, and training him up for a future role as a starter, i don't see it happening.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 03:18 PM)

I totally agree. If Kenny is willing to overpay for Teahan [in terms of $ and Getz], he must value the versatility Teahan brings, in that it allows the sox to go in multiple routes to fill their holes. Teahan is a big drop off from Dye, and won't be the only move made.

The sox may try to sign Figgins for 3b, then Gordon would likely go to 2b, then a PK trade would probably be made for salary purposes [low salaried, young players, a bullpen arm]. If the sox don't add Figgins, Teahan could see time at 3b, with gordon moving.

I just get the feeling that a Teahan deal would be made as insurance if other moves [such as a Figgins signing] don't pan out. He's decent and hits from the left side. Yet he's not a regular on a playoff team. If the sox strike the right trades and sign a FA to their liking, Teahan would be too expensive of a bench guy and could be dealt. IIRC, Teahan was viewed as a semi-hot commodity around the trade deadline.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 07:10 AM)
Come on, you should know that Big Sqwert is a joker, that wasnt serious. Just read his posts in green. Or pretend that his avatar is saying it. Both should make you laugh

Wait a minute. I've been posting in here for 5 years just to NOW find out it's not a forum for MLB The Show??? What the heck.

QUOTE (1977 sox fan @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 08:38 AM)
Maybe Kenny will go out and get Adrian Gonzales if he did that i would be one happy fan .

PK along with money or extra players might be part of this deal? He would waive the no trade to go to the West Coast.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 09:35 AM)
Proposing we go after players like Gamel is equivalent to people on the Padres/Orioles/Mariners/etc... boards proposing they try to go after Beckham

No it's not. The Brewers are said to be considering using Gamel to get pitching. Also, Gamel is nothing like Beckham. Gamel may have the potential to hit more home runs, but he's no sure thing like Gordon.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 10:46 AM)
No it's not. The Brewers are said to be considering using Gamel to get pitching. Also, Gamel is nothing like Beckham. Gamel may have the potential to hit more home runs, but he's no sure thing like Gordon.

Yeah that probably was a bad comparison but he's one of the Brewers top prospects and was a top 30 prospect in baseball going into this year. My point was basically he's not the kind of player we should realistically be looking to acquire. You say the Brewers might dangle him for pitching. Well, that means bye bye to Floyd or Danks and I would not be willing to do that.