Sox acquire Mark Teahen, $$$ for Getz/Fields

pmcochr

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 12:19 PM)
We should cut Teahen now and just keep the money. Or better yet, cut Teahen, take the money, and use it to ship Linebrink's ass out of town.

I've been toying around with something. Last offseason, one of the huge rumors was Teahen to the Cubs for Fontenot and Marshall. If we did that, got a solid lefty-bench bat, and a lefty-spot starter (with a heart-breaking curve) who can work out of the pen.... would we be encouraged? Is this possible?

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 11:20 AM)
God, i hope it's the 1st. If we really moved a good kid like Getz, because Dye took issue with some generic, young comment of his then i've lost a lot of respect for this organization.

Clearly they saw the need to add more versatility and also a bigger LH bat than Getz. I think we are looking at a Dye for 2 players scenario salary-wise. Right now we have I believe 74 million committed for next season?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 09:20 AM)
God, i hope it's the 1st. If we really moved a good kid like Getz, because Dye took issue with some generic, young comment of his then i've lost a lot of respect for this organization.

I completely agree with you. It says a lot that Retherford was sent to the AFL.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 06:18 PM)
I also wonder if Retherford has really opened the org's eyes to the point that it made Getz a bit more expendable. Or was Getz moved because of the stuff said in that Gonzalez interview.

The Sox will be going after one of the 2nd basemen in the FA market. Nix will be the back-up again, and Teahen will be playing RF for the Sox next year. I think Orlando Hudson is the likely 2nd baseman for the Sox next year.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 05:22 PM)
I've been toying around with something. Last offseason, one of the huge rumors was Teahen to the Cubs for Fontenot and Marshall. If we did that, got a solid lefty-bench bat, and a lefty-spot starter (with a heart-breaking curve) who can work out of the pen.... would we be encouraged? Is this possible?

Cubs would have to deal Bradley first. I'd be for it. Spin those two players in a package for AGon.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 11:22 AM)
I've been toying around with something. Last offseason, one of the huge rumors was Teahen to the Cubs for Fontenot and Marshall. If we did that, got a solid lefty-bench bat, and a lefty-spot starter (with a heart-breaking curve).... would we be encouraged? Is this possible?

If we could dump Teahen's contract and pick up Marshall I'd love that. So then it would be like Getz and Fields for Marshall + cash from KC, which would make it a steal for us. But that's probably not going to happen.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 05:22 PM)

Not a chance in hell Cubs deal Marshall right now with the uncertainty of Lilly's shoulder.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 11:25 AM)
The Sox will be going after one of the 2nd basemen in the FA market. Nix will be the back-up again, and Teahen will be playing RF for the Sox next year. I think Orlando Hudson is the likely 2nd baseman for the Sox next year.

Hudson plays 2B and leads off? OF consists of Q, Rios and Teahen. Not great, but not terrible if you are just trying to put a team on the field to support your good pitching. We still need a DH, preferably left handed and a pen arm or two.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 12:29 PM)
Hudson plays 2B and leads off? OF consists of Q, Rios and Teahen. Not great, but not terrible if you are just trying to put a team on the field to support your good pitching. We still need a DH, preferably left handed and a pen arm or two.

Still no real base stealing threat in that lineup.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 05:33 PM)
I would have taken Matsui if he didnt just go and increase his price tag in one game.

Finding a cheap DH who can hit 20-25 homers in our park really shouldn't be too difficult. I'm not worried about our power at all, as this team would finally be able to hit a decent amount of doubles.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 09:22 AM)
Clearly they saw the need to add more versatility and also a bigger LH bat than Getz. I think we are looking at a Dye for 2 players scenario salary-wise. Right now we have I believe 74 million committed for next season?

He's entering his prime so he clearly could break out and be a 20HR guy with a lot of doubles. He's a very good base-runner. I see potential in this deal, but I think its a little risky. Not that I think Getz will ever be a super-star and Fields I could care less about (I wish him nothing but the best of luck elsewhere, but he'll never amount to anything in Chicago so KC is a good place for him).

I have to think we get at least a M. You also have to remember we had a serious void from the left side of the plate. Mark should help that void.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 09:25 AM)

I still think Konerko goes. Or that the Sox make a push to move him this year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 09:29 AM)

Plus you have some guys who could break-out and you just hit enough to contend, at the deadline make a move for a bigger bat to hopefully put you over the top. If the Sox go with Teahen/Hudson, could they get into the bidding and make a move for Manny Ramirez? Dodgers would probably pay a good chunk of cash so they could address other needs (pitching) and Sox wouldn't have to give up a lot prospect wise for a year of Manny.

Not sure if I'd do it and probably not a realistic possibility.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)
He's entering his prime so he clearly could break out and be a 20HR guy with a lot of doubles. He's a very good base-runner. I see potential in this deal, but I think its a little risky. Not that I think Getz will ever be a super-star and Fields I could care less about (I wish him nothing but the best of luck elsewhere, but he'll never amount to anything in Chicago so KC is a good place for him).

I have to think we get at least a M. You also have to remember we had a serious void from the left side of the plate. Mark should help that void.

I wouldn't say the deal itself is risky but having Teahen is the every day rf definitely is.

As for the other ideas being thrown around in this thread, would absolutely love to add the O dog as our 2b, I hope Kenny is thinking the same thing. And we need to find a dh with some serious pop.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 12:34 PM)
Finding a cheap DH who can hit 20-25 homers in our park really shouldn't be too difficult. I'm not worried about our power at all, as this team would finally be able to hit a decent amount of doubles.

I really hope the Sox go after Russell Branyan. He just OPS'd .867 and hit 31 HR in Safeco and he bats left handed, seems like a perfect fit for us this offseason.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 11:25 AM)

I would take Hudson in a heart beat because he would be nearly 1/3rd the price of Figgins and we could probably still do more...which we need.

Outside of the SBs, their numbers are similar enough for it to make sense to pay a guy 3-4 million a year for 1-2 years instead of 9-10 million a year for 4 years.

Hudson .348/.431/.778

Figgins .363/.388/.751

Figgins is more of a slap hitter and actually drew over 100 walks last year, which is impressive considering he is not a power hitter.

It looks like the Sox are going after guys that can hit to gaps and doubles over homers. Look at the drafting of Beckham, a doubles machine and the trade for Teahen.

While Teahen won't hit close to the same number of homers as Dye, he will hit 3 times as many doubles. Dye's age must be catching up to him, after 41 doubles in 2008, he only had 19 last year. Teahen on the other hand hit 34.

I agree that homers are important and in the Cell you need some 30 homer guys, but the Sox were 2nd to last in doubles last season. I believe you can generate runs more consistently with lots of players that can hit doubles. If you add 2-3 30 homer guys to a lineup that can produce a ton of doubles, you have an offensive machine. You would have more 2 hit innings that score a run instead of needing 3 hits to score, or a home run.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 11:34 AM)

Stole my thunder while I was typing about the doubles, but I think that is their new philosophy. I also agree finding a cheap power DH would be easy.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 11:39 AM)
Plus you have some guys who could break-out and you just hit enough to contend, at the deadline make a move for a bigger bat to hopefully put you over the top. If the Sox go with Teahen/Hudson, could they get into the bidding and make a move for Manny Ramirez? Dodgers would probably pay a good chunk of cash so they could address other needs (pitching) and Sox wouldn't have to give up a lot prospect wise for a year of Manny.

Not sure if I'd do it and probably not a realistic possibility.

Manny for Konerko + Linebrink + Torres + McCulloch would be pretty nice IMO. We don't save any money, but we do dump Konerko's deal and 3 players I don't ever want to see again.