Sox acquire Mark Teahen, $$$ for Getz/Fields

pmcochr

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 11:49 AM)
Manny for Konerko + Linebrink + Torres + McCulloch would be pretty nice IMO. We don't save any money, but we do dump Konerko's deal and 3 players I don't ever want to see again.

Ya, that'd probably be the best deal of all time. Too bad Kenny would get laughed at.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 11:53 AM)
Teahen is a big guy. He can hold down 3b, well enough. Won't be pretty, but he can get the job done. Assuming we get a decent defensive OF (note, not Pods) this is still a net gain.

Teahen is an absolute garbage 3b.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 12:53 PM)
In essence, they wasted a year with Beckham at 3B then. Some of his errors may have essentially cost us a chance at the playoffs, and now it's like we totally threw a season away. I hope this pays off.

i don't see it that way at all. The point was to get Beckham AB's, he proved himself at the big league level. Hell, if anything this is confirmation that Viciedo and Morel might have a future in the corner in the next couple of years.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 11:53 AM)
In essence, they wasted a year with Beckham at 3B then. Some of his errors may have essentially cost us a chance at the playoffs, and now it's like we totally threw a season away. I hope this pays off.

Are you kidding? The hitless wonders in the middle of the lineup cost us the playoffs, and a first round exit, not Beckham at all.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 11:53 AM)

This could also have hinged on Viciedo's performance in the minor leagues. Maybe Viciedo made late strides and convinced the Sox he can play 3B in the Majors. If so then this decision was an easy one to make.

QUOTE (League @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 12:58 PM)
Teahen has put up positive UZR's at 3rd in the past, his numbers are dragged down by 2/3 s***ty years. He may be salvageable over there.

I seem to remember him being quite solid in 05' and 06' or something...I swear he was looking solid defensively when he started settling in with the Royals...I remember him robbing us all the time and Hawk talking about how good he was going to be...

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 11:56 AM)
Are you kidding? The hitless wonders in the middle of the lineup cost us the playoffs, and a first round exit, not Beckham at all.

I'm not saying it did. I'm saying that it might have. And if that's the case, last year was played to try young guys out, not to win. Still, we were close to making a run toward winning the division. If the plan was to move him to 2B all along, we should've stuck him there, and signed somebody to play 3B.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 12:59 PM)
I seem to remember him being quite solid in 05' and 06' or something...I swear he was looking solid defensively when he started settling in with the Royals...I remember him robbing us all the time and Hawk talking about how good he was going to be...

I think he was about league average at 3rd in 06, but in 07 or something he posted a ridiculously bad UZR. We'll see.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 11:59 AM)

I wonder if being at a position consistently would bring him back to that level, who knows. I still view him as a utility guy.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 12:59 PM)
Now this deal makes sense to me. But I still want to know how much cash we're getting because Beltre is out there, and Beltre is about a zillion times better than Teahen.

NOW it makes sense? This possibility has been on the table since the moment the deal was leaked...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 11:59 AM)

I agree. He's looked good there in the past when I've watched him. At 2B and in the OF it's a bit of an adventure however.