Sox acquire Mark Teahen, $$$ for Getz/Fields

pmcochr

Just some general thoughts on the trade:

1) All this talk about Teahen being a UT player for us is crazy. He's going to be in LF/RF and/or possibly part of a rotating DH. KW made the move to add flexibility to his offseason plans, not to improve the bench while adding another hole to the starting lineup.

2) While I'm not a huge fan of Teahen, I think his left-handed bat and ability to play several spots will make him useful to our club. Ideally he'd be a great 10th option for a team like the Yankees, but I think he can be a solid #8 or #9 on a championship team if all the other pieces are right. I also think a change of scenery might do him well. Maybe it doesn't matter, but I have to think playing for a losing team like the Royals for several years would have an effect on his performance. A negative work environment can impact anyone's job performance.

3) While I think Getz will become a solid player, I'm not going to lose sleep over him. In fact, I'm glad that we'll be upgrading at 2B this season. I think this player will come from free agency. For some reason, this trade really makes me think that KW is going to attempt a serious run at Figgins (with Beckham shifting to 2B). I believe the Sox are going to sign one big name free agent and filling a corner OF spot relatively cheaply allows this type of move. I do think the backup move is going after Hudson. Either way, opening up an IF hole allows us to get a legit leadoff hitter. Apparently, KW didn't Getz could be that guy in the long-run or just is too impatient to wait.

4) I'd be interested in hearing the organization's long-term plans with 2B/3B. We got several interesting prospects in Retherford, Viceido and Morel to fill one of these spots eventually. Wherever Beckham plays this year should be a sign of which spot may be open in the future. However, a Figgins signing would fill this hole long-term and allow us to move Retherford and Morel to fill other needs. I don't see Viceido going anywhere. Worst case scenario, he's your future 1B or DH. Should be interesting to see what happens with these guys in the future.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 12:00 PM)
NOW it makes sense? This possibility has been on the table since the moment the deal was leaked...

It was one possibility of several, it's not like this was obvious. For me this seemed the least likely of all rumored possibilities given what the Sox brass had said about Beckham as a 3B. But I still don't like the deal unless we're paying Teahen $2M or less after arb, because that would be a good price for him after getting non-tendered by the Royals.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 12:00 PM)
I'm not saying it did. I'm saying that it might have. And if that's the case, last year was played to try young guys out, not to win. Still, we were close to making a run toward winning the division. If the plan was to move him to 2B all along, we should've stuck him there, and signed somebody to play 3B.

The plan was to have Fields play 3rd.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 12:03 PM)
J

4) I'd be interested in hearing the organization's long-term plans with 2B/3B. We got several interesting prospects in Retherford, Viceido and Morel to fill one of these spots eventually. Wherever Beckham plays this year should be a sign of which spot may be open in the future. However, a Figgins signing would fill this hole long-term and allow us to move Retherford and Morel to fill other needs. I don't see Viceido going anywhere. Worst case scenario, he's your future 1B or DH. Should be interesting to see what happens with these guys in the future.

Your two deep for those positions is probably as of now

3B:

1. Teahen through 2011

2.Viciedo as soon as 2010 or 2011

3. Morel earliest 2011

2B

1.beckham

2.Nix

3.Retheford

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 12:03 PM)
Just some general thoughts on the trade:

1) All this talk about Teahen being a UT player for us is crazy. He's going to be in LF/RF and/or possibly part of a rotating DH. KW made the move to add flexibility to his offseason plans, not to improve the bench while adding another hole to the starting lineup.

2) While I'm not a huge fan of Teahen, I think his left-handed bat and ability to play several spots will make him useful to our club. Ideally he'd be a great 10th option for a team like the Yankees, but I think he can be a solid #8 or #9 on a championship team if all the other pieces are right. I also think a change of scenery might do him well. Maybe it doesn't matter, but I have to think playing for a losing team like the Royals for several years would have an effect on his performance. A negative work environment can impact anyone's job performance.

3) While I think Getz will become a solid player, I'm not going to lose sleep over him. In fact, I'm glad that we'll be upgrading at 2B this season. I think this player will come from free agency. For some reason, this trade really makes me think that KW is going to attempt a serious run at Figgins (with Beckham shifting to 2B). I believe the Sox are going to sign one big name free agent and filling a corner OF spot relatively cheaply allows this type of move. I do think the backup move is going after Hudson. Either way, opening up an IF hole allows us to get a legit leadoff hitter. Apparently, KW didn't Getz could be that guy in the long-run or just is too impatient to wait.

These are some good thoughts. I am pretty in line with most of what you said. KW covers himself well by claiming Teahen starting 3B if he is unable to sign Figgins, Beltre or Hudson. This is probably not a finished product, I would guess 2-3 players still coming. We just have to be patient and let KW work his magic. Remember in KW we trust!!

I'm just not a big fan, but I guess it doesnt matter all that much. Teahen will likely put up Getz type numbers next year. So now the question is what the hell we do with RF and DH now that Pods isn't coming back.

The one f***ing guy that hit and got on base and we're not gonna bring him back.

Teahen in the IF is what made more sense anyway. And we'll have plus bats at SS and 2B (for their positions). Now its time to get the 3rd OF and DH positions taken care of.

And I agree that the organization probably saw Viciedo and Morel and Retherford, and figured, if Teahen doesn't live up to talent, someone will be ready for 3B in 2011 anyway.

This development, plus the cash, and I like this deal again. Just need to see how OF and DH play out. Starting rotation is solid, bullpen needs some slight re-working but not an overhaul.

My only remaining concern with the players we have now, still, is defense.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 09:14 AM)
Not only would I drive those guys to the airport, I'd build a rocket and launch them at San Diego.

I'd be inclined to do it as well, but I'm not so sure about Kenny. He seemed VERY reluctant to include Hudson in any deal last year. It could be pure posturing, but I think there's a chance that he considers Hudson untouchable.

Glad to hear that we're getting some cash with Teahen, but I'm not sure what I think of him at 3B.

Edited by WCSox

Keep in mind, that Teahen was projected by a plurality of scouts as a 35-homer guy. It's pretty clear now that he's not going to reach that, but the skillset remains. His propensity for doubles is a clear indicator of that. I expect to see a nice increase in power production in the Cell, and would not rule out 20-25 homers for the guy.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 12:15 PM)
Teahen in the IF is what made more sense anyway. And we'll have plus bats at SS and 2B (for their positions). Now its time to get the 3rd OF and DH positions taken care of.

And I agree that the organization probably saw Viciedo and Morel and Retherford, and figured, if Teahen doesn't live up to talent, someone will be ready for 3B in 2011 anyway.

This development, plus the cash, and I like this deal again. Just need to see how OF and DH play out. Starting rotation is solid, bullpen needs some slight re-working but not an overhaul.

My only remaining concern with the players we have now, still, is defense.

One good DH and a Leadoff hitter would go a long way for this lineup. One LHP in the pen and possibly another RHP and we could be set.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 01:16 PM)
Keep in mind, that Teahen was projected by a plurality of scouts as a 35-homer guy. It's pretty clear now that he's not going to reach that, but the skillset remains. His propensity for doubles is a clear indicator of that. I expect to see a nice increase in power production in the Cell, and would not rule out 20-25 homers for the guy.

Yeah, I think he'll hit 20-25 homers fairly easily.

I really like the move - I think he is a perfect fit for us - but I understand I am in the large minority.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 12:17 PM)
One good DH and a Leadoff hitter would go a long way for this lineup. One LHP in the pen and possibly another RHP and we could be set.

I could care less about a "leadoff hitter". I just want the OF and DH holes filled with the best players we can get. Then we can hash out who leads off once a game, which is a minor consideration.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 12:19 PM)
I could care less about a "leadoff hitter". I just want the OF and DH holes filled with the best players we can get. Then we can hash out who leads off once a game, which is a minor consideration.

Dont underestimate the importance of a good leadoff and top of the order hitter. Both teams in the WS had that and the teams that moved on all had those players in place as well.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 01:22 PM)
Dont underestimate the importance of a good leadoff and top of the order hitter. Both teams in the WS had that and the teams that moved on all had those players in place as well.

If we can find two guys with decent OBP's to hit 8 & 9, I think putting Beckham in the 1 slot would make for a very good lineup.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 12:18 PM)
Yeah, I think he'll hit 20-25 homers fairly easily.

I really like the move - I think he is a perfect fit for us - but I understand I am in the large minority.

I'm beginning to like the move more. I never thought it bad, but I wasn't thrilled with it at first. I like the fact that there's some money coming, and the news of buying out Dye leads me to believe that there are more moves in the making.

QUOTE (League @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 10:23 AM)
If we can find two guys with decent OBP's to hit 8 & 9, I think putting Beckham in the 1 slot would make for a very good lineup.

Given how mediocre the rest of our current lineup is, those guys would hit first and second if they could be had.