Sox acquire Mark Teahen, $$$ for Getz/Fields

pmcochr

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 06:15 PM)
am i wrong on this or isn't teahen a butcher at third?

Butcher is probably an overstatement. Certainly not very good, but he's not terrible either.

Besides, since when has this organization valued defense?

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 12:31 PM)
Teahen would have lead the sox in doubles last year. Translate that into a more home run friendly ball park and i agree with whomever said 20-25 home runs will be easy to reach. I say he easily puts up 25/70

Not sure about easily...but it is possible. If he could get 20 HRs and 40 doubles...that would be nice.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 10:36 AM)
Since PODS is not coming back our outfield has a hole, who will we fill it with?

I'd love to say Crawford, but that's probably not the correct answer. If Teahen is playing 3B, that appears to take Figgins out of the running.

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 01:35 PM)
Not sure about easily...but it is possible. If he could get 20 HRs and 40 doubles...that would be nice.

maybe the 25 is a bit of a stretch but depending on where he hits i dont see 70 bein tooo much of a stretch.

anyone with me in thinking playing for a better team he'll strive to do better?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 10:36 AM)
Since PODS is not coming back our outfield has a hole, who will we fill it with?

We also have a void in the middle of the order. So right now the holes are at DH and the OF. Now holes in the infield. I'm curious as to what the Sox will do. Plus the bullpen.

I still think we will move another contract and than allocate the funds saved to fill multiple spots (I'm looking at Paulie and Jenks)

QUOTE (League @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 12:37 PM)
Have to expect another trade, can't afford any of the outfield bats that would be useful.

Can't say that for sure (not afford), especially if we trade someone pricey.

This is why its nice to have a stronger farm system now too - we have prospects we can move in a trade that are of some value.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 06:36 PM)

I would move Quentin to RF then put a huge wall 290 feet out in left field like the Red Sox have so you don't need a good player out there.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 01:06 PM)
His career .331 obp isn't very appealing in the lead off spot.

Correct, but at this point, maybe his plus defense and a little speed would be enough? I have no idea who we will be able to put in that spot from the FA market. I think the most important spot to fill is the DH at this point.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 11:08 AM)
Correct, but at this point, maybe his plus defense and a little speed would be enough? I have no idea who we will be able to put in that spot from the FA market. I think the most important spot to fill is the DH at this point.

The offense could use two quality bats. If we go after a Royal, got and get Dejesus. I think we could use two more higher average, higher obp guys and Dejesus and maybe even Johnny Damon (depending on cost) could fit that bill nicely. Nick Johnson is another nice option that we've all discussed (health is a major concern though).

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 12:15 PM)
am i wrong on this or isn't teahen a butcher at third?

He's a terrible 3B. UZR/150 of -10.9 last year and -10.1 for his career. I'm not looking forward to watching him there next year.

QUOTE (Felix @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 11:16 AM)
He's a terrible 3B. UZR/150 of -10.9 last year and -10.1 for his career. I'm not looking forward to watching him there next year.

We'll see what happens when he plays a full-season at one position (if that is what the Sox plan on doing).