Sox acquire Mark Teahen, $$$ for Getz/Fields

pmcochr

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 01:21 PM)
We'll see what happens when he plays a full-season at one position (if that is what the Sox plan on doing).

So basically like 2005, when he had a -17.6 UZR/150? To his credit, he had a 0.4 UZR/150 in 2006 when he only played third, but the numbers at third for his full career don't make me optimistic.

QUOTE (Felix @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 11:27 AM)
So basically like 2005, when he had a -17.6 UZR/150? To his credit, he had a 0.4 UZR/150 in 2006 when he only played third, but the numbers at third for his full career don't make me optimistic.

That was also his rookie season in the majors. 2006 was his best year and we can only hope he somehow gets back to that. He had a real nice first half of this past season too before dropping off (not sure what the cause was for that either).

This is a shock to me. Not the acquisition of Tehean, but the statement that we will play 3B. Bechkham was developing nice over there and now he has to go to 2B to learn a new position. If anything you would want to move Beckham to SS and Alexi to 2B wouldnt you. Plus you would think Tehean fits in much better rotating through the RF/DH role, allowing the sox to pursue figgins, hudson, or polanco for true defense and leadoff hitter. With him at 3B and saying Pods wont be back that basically means they have the RF/DH hole to fill with a leadoff hitter/obp guy, something that very tough to do. Plus the defnesive numbers show Tehean is not the defensive minded 3B you are looking for, his defense would fit much better in RF.

Edited by joeynach

QUOTE (joeynach @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 07:31 PM)
This is a shock to me. Not the acquisition of Tehean, but the statement that we will play 3B. Bechkham was developing nice over there and now he has to go to 2B to learn a new position. If anything you would want to move Beckham to SS and Alexi to 2B wouldnt you. Plus you would think Tehean fits in much better rotating through the RF/DH role, allowing the sox to pursue figgins, hudson, or polanco for true defense and leadoff hitter. With him at 3B and saying Pods wont be back that basically means they have the RF/DH hole to fill with a leadoff hitter/obp guy, something that very tough to do.

I doubt anything is written in stone. Sox could still pickup a 2B or 3B and move Teahen.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 01:31 PM)
This is a shock to me. Not the acquisition of Tehean, but the statement that we will play 3B. Bechkham was developing nice over there and now he has to go to 2B to learn a new position. If anything you would want to move Beckham to SS and Alexi to 2B wouldnt you. Plus you would think Tehean fits in much better rotating through the RF/DH role, allowing the sox to pursue figgins, hudson, or polanco for true defense and leadoff hitter. With him at 3B and saying Pods wont be back that basically means they have the RF/DH hole to fill with a leadoff hitter/obp guy, something that very tough to do.

No, you wouldnt because Alexei is our best SS. Beckham's long term position was never going to be SS, and most projected him as the 2B for this team. Frankly he couldve gone forward at 3B, but now he is probably will he will stay for a long time.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 12:22 PM)
Dont underestimate the importance of a good leadoff and top of the order hitter. Both teams in the WS had that and the teams that moved on all had those players in place as well.

Jimmy Rollins had a horrendous season in the leadoff spot in 2009.

Ok so if Bacon is going be our future 2B and were keeping Alexi at SS isn't it more crucual to find a stud defensive 3B. Especially considering how bad our D was last year and how improving your defense really improves your pitching. You would think Tehean fits that role KW was talking about a DH that can be rotated in and out of the lineup, like the way the Jays or A's do it. That leaves 3B, a crucial defensive position, open for maybe Figgins, Beltre, or another defensive stud or even leadoff hitter.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 01:36 PM)
Mark Teahen at 3B by John Dewan's +/- for anyone who's interested:

2005: -23

2006: 0

2008: -2

2009: -9

He bounced around a ton last year. Teahen started out at second, because of Alex Gordon, and then moved back there for a while when he was hurt. After that he bounced around all over the place.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 11:37 AM)
Ok so if Bacon is going be our future 2B and were keeping Alexi at SS isn't it more crucual to find a stud defensive 3B. Especially considering how bad our D was last year and how improving your defense really improves your pitching. You would think Tehean fits that role KW was talking about a DH that can be rotated in and out of the lineup, like the way the Jays or A's do it. That leaves 3B, a crucial defensive position, open for maybe Figgins, Beltre, or another defensive stud or even leadoff hitter.

The other, less likely option, but still a possibility nonetheless is that Teahen is a bench player and Kenny signs Chone Figgins for 3B. That would be real interesting.....

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 02:39 PM)
Jeter/Cano?

Bartlett/Zobrist?

I think it's still arguable. Jeter is getting up there in years and Bartlett and Zobrist need to do what they did this year again. Of course, Beckham hasn't even played a full year and Lexi is only a 2 year vet but I could easily see our middle infield tandem combine to hit .285 with 40HR and 160 RBI and steal 30 bases next year. Not many teams can say that.

Quotes from Scott Reifert,

Ken Williams says Mark Teahen will be #WhiteSox 3B with Gordon Beckham moving to 2B. "I've had my eye on Teahen for a couple of years."

Mark Teahen on joining #WhiteSox: I'm excited to get to a team that competes every year.

More Teahen: For 3 yrs, there's been questions of where I was going to play. Knowing what city and what position is huge. 3B is my No. 1 pos

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 01:48 PM)
I think it's still arguable. Jeter is getting up there in years and Bartlett and Zobrist need to do what they did this year again. Of course, Beckham hasn't even played a full year and Lexi is only a 2 year vet but I could easily see our middle infield tandem combine to hit .285 with 40HR and 160 RBI and steal 30 bases next year. Not many teams can say that.

Alexei put up a .319 wOBA last season, he has the most to prove out of all of them.

Couple of things

Walker should be able to help Teahan as they have/had similar approaches. I know Walker should have been fired but I digress.

KW is saying Teahan will play third if nobody better is picked up to play third.

Also, the bullpen will be better if the offense can help win games as the starters should all be able to go deep into games and the relievers will not have to protect a one or two run lead nightly. The bullpen can be shortened to 3 guys instead of 5 nightly.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 03:25 PM)
Couple of things

Walker should be able to help Teahan as they have/had similar approaches. I know Walker should have been fired but I digress.

KW is saying Teahan will play third if nobody better is picked up to play third.

Also, the bullpen will be better if the offense can help win games as the starters should all be able to go deep into games and the relievers will not have to protect a one or two run lead nightly. The bullpen can be shortened to 3 guys instead of 5 nightly.

LOL. Come on. I know what you're trying to say but that's not exactly a recipe for success. The bullpen won't be any better if we don't replace some pieces with better pitchers.