Sox acquire Mark Teahen, $$$ for Getz/Fields

pmcochr

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 8, 2009 -> 12:53 PM)
I think he has had very little impact on the talent level improving. Until the Sox start calling up guys with a little consistency that have a clue as to what they are doing, I'm holding out buying something just because Buddy said its so.

Beckham, Hudson and Flowers is a very, good start. I get why you're skeptical, but really look at some of the "talent" on some of the teams that Bell had to manage. You could make an argument that Todd Van Poppel was one of his best arms!

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 8, 2009 -> 11:47 AM)
I said if he thinks a player is major league ready, like he said of Jordan Danks, to take it with a grain of salt. He managed groups of guys that apparently were no where near major league ready for 9 years.

So that means he doesn't know what major league ready is? That is an odd assertion, seeing as the field manager isn't the one who decides who is major league ready. That would be the general manager. Plus if you look at the teams he did manage, its not like he drove the 27 Yankees into the ground, he spent his years with some horrible Tigers and Royals teams, and meh Rockies teams.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 8, 2009 -> 11:53 AM)
I think he has had very little impact on the talent level improving. Until the Sox start calling up guys with a little consistency that have a clue as to what they are doing, I'm holding out buying something just because Buddy said its so.

I (or anyone else) can say the same thing about your boy Greg Walker as in he has had little impact on the sox getting over mediocre numbers offensively since his tenure. That doesn't mean I (or anyone else) is right about it, or is looking into it with the glass half full.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2009 -> 03:32 PM)
So that means he doesn't know what major league ready is? That is an odd assertion, seeing as the field manager isn't the one who decides who is major league ready. That would be the general manager. Plus if you look at the teams he did manage, its not like he drove the 27 Yankees into the ground, he spent his years with some horrible Tigers and Royals teams, and meh Rockies teams.

So you are saying the manager has no say in who plays and who is on the roster. Interesting.

At the end of the day, the Sox traded a bust of a prospect, a solid but limited 2Bman for ~$2 mill 3Bman who is a slight upgrade, moves Beckham over to a slightly more natural position at 2B, and opens up a 40-man roster spot. I don't understand why anybody is really making a big deal out of this either way. And even more so, if the Sox find any type of outfielder capable of starting - because Quentin can move to RF and it'll be an upgrade defensively, and if Rios moves to RF because the Sox got an even better defensive CFer, even better - or find a 3Bman, and they'll be fine. I know Williams said that Teahen is set to play 3B, but that probably just means he has his sights set on a certain player, and if he doesn't acquire said player, they'll look at other options.

You know we are bored when a small trade like this gets almost 1000 posts.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 8, 2009 -> 06:22 PM)
At the end of the day, the Sox traded a bust of a prospect, a solid but limited 2Bman for ~$2 mill 3Bman who is a slight upgrade, moves Beckham over to a slightly more natural position at 2B, and opens up a 40-man roster spot. I don't understand why anybody is really making a big deal out of this either way. And even more so, if the Sox find any type of outfielder capable of starting - because Quentin can move to RF and it'll be an upgrade defensively, and if Rios moves to RF because the Sox got an even better defensive CFer, even better - or find a 3Bman, and they'll be fine. I know Williams said that Teahen is set to play 3B, but that probably just means he has his sights set on a certain player, and if he doesn't acquire said player, they'll look at other options.

so true...in the end, this trade will probably have no effect on whether or not the white sox win the world series

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 8, 2009 -> 04:22 PM)
At the end of the day, the Sox traded a bust of a prospect, a solid but limited 2Bman for ~$2 mill 3Bma who is a slight upgrade, moves Beckham over to a slightly more natural position at 2B, and opens up a 40-man roster spot. I don't understand why anybody is really making a big deal out of this either way. And even more so, if the Sox find any type of outfielder capable of starting - because Quentin can move to RF and it'll be an upgrade defensively, and if Rios moves to RF because the Sox got an even better defensive CFer, even better - or find a 3Bman, and they'll be fine. I know Williams said that Teahen is set to play 3B, but that probably just means he has his sights set on a certain player, and if he doesn't acquire said player, they'll look at other options.

3.575 + arb. = guessing $4.5 -$1mill from the Royals =$3.5 mill.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 01:22 AM)

True. But the interest in the Teahen trade also leads to us speculating about what the next moves are going to be because the sox aren't standing pat this offseason only adding an average 28 yr old 3b who has some chance of improving on his career stats.

If this trade had happened at the deadline back in July or not until January or February, this thread probably wouldn't be nearly as big. But, look back at the posts and you'll see that there was a lot of speculation of where Teahan would play, what the trade would mean for Beckham and Alexei, and what future moves will be made. So, yeah, it is actually a "small trade", but it opens a door a crack that could open wide in the coming months.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 07:14 AM)
If this trade had happened at the deadline back in July or not until January or February, this thread probably wouldn't be nearly as big. But, look back at the posts and you'll see that there was a lot of speculation of where Teahan would play, what the trade would mean for Beckham and Alexei, and what future moves will be made. So, yeah, it is actually a "small trade", but it opens a door a crack that could open wide in the coming months.

I think it's purpose was that someone would actually accept Josh Fields.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 12:29 PM)
I think it's purpose was that someone would actually accept Josh Fields.

Agreed, not to say that Getz was a non-factor in this, just that he was more of a means to an end here. I think the three step process was

A) Get Mark Teahen

B) Trade Josh Fields

C) Get Beckham to 2b.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 12:18 PM)
Agreed, not to say that Getz was a non-factor in this, just that he was more of a means to an end here. I think the three step process was

A) Get Mark Teahen

B) Trade Josh Fields

C) Get Beckham to 2b.

It would be more like

A) Move Beckham to 2B, because Beckham is by far the most important player in the conversation

B) Get Teahen

C) Try to trade Josh Fields before we have to DFA him anyway prior to the Rule-5 draft

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 01:22 PM)
It would be more like

A) Move Beckham to 2B, because Beckham is by far the most important player in the conversation

B) Get Teahen

C) Try to trade Josh Fields before we have to DFA him anyway prior to the Rule-5 draft

Don't forget step D) Profit!

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 12:22 PM)
It would be more like

B) Get Teahen

I thought the first step was to cut a whole in a box?

Three talent evaluators each endorsed the White Sox's acquisition of Mark Teahen, especially since he will return to third base.

"That's where he should have been," said one National League scout who has followed Teahen from his days in the minor leagues with Oakland. "You'll see his numbers improve."

One scout, however, threw some caution to the deal because Teahen has struck out 123 times or more in each of the past three seasons with Kansas City.

"Fields is an interesting guy because he does have some power and might do well as a platoon player," the scout said. "I don't think the Sox will miss Getz that much. Teahen needs to put the ball in play more often with that lineup and lack of power right now. I do think he'll make their overall defense better at third."

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 12:31 AM)
I don't think chemistry is all that important, but all word is that Teahen is actually a really cool guy. Big in the community, very outgoing. He'll fit well here.

To think.. just a couple years ago when he did an interview for a KC radio station he hated us the most, more than any other team in the league. Now he's traded here. :lol: I'm sure he'll have the A.J. effect with us.

Unfortunately the Cell probably isn't going to be the best ballpark in terms of striking out I would have thought and putting the ball in play, especially with Walker as the hitting coach.

If he can produce what he has in his career at the Cell so far (something like a .825 OPS in 125 AB's or so), I would definitely take that.