What the f*** is wrong with SHIPPS?

shipps

Alright, so I havent been on soxtalk as much the past couple months as much as an admin should and nobody has probably even noticed . I kinda been stuck on this girl who I am really into and she takes a lot of the space in my head and there really isnt much to occupy in the first place.

But now I feel like I might be reaching a new low with letting this woman consume me. I have told her from the start (and mostly because she is an african american woman and I needed to make sure this very thing didnt happen) that I HATE anything Tyler Perry. So of course yesterday she asked me if I would go with her and her two friends she wants me to meet to see one of his new movies. I said noooo that sounds like a girls night out I wouldnt want to intrude. She says they were the ones who invited me and it would be kinda rude if I didnt go. (Thinking in my head...woman have you not heard my multiple confessions of how much I hate Tyler Perry!).

So I am going tonight to this piece of crap movie and I know I should have taken a stand.

I know what you guys will say I should have done but REALLY what would you have done and consider the fact that I really care about this chick unlike the other girls I just played like fiddles.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 10:45 AM)
Alright, so I havent been on soxtalk as much the past couple months as much as an admin should and nobody has probably even noticed . I kinda been stuck on this girl who I am really into and she takes a lot of the space in my head and there really isnt much to occupy in the first place.

But now I feel like I might be reaching a new low with letting this woman consume me. I have told her from the start (and mostly because she is an african american woman and I needed to make sure this very thing didnt happen) that I HATE anything Tyler Perry. So of course yesterday she asked me if I would go with her and her two friends she wants me to meet to see one of his new movies. I said noooo that sounds like a girls night out I wouldnt want to intrude. She says they were the ones who invited me and it would be kinda rude if I didnt go. (Thinking in my head...woman have you not heard my multiple confessions of how much I hate Tyler Perry!).

So I am going tonight to this piece of crap movie and I know I should have taken a stand.

I know what you guys will say I should have done but REALLY what would you have done and consider the fact that I really care about this chick unlike the other girls I just played like fiddles.

What's the movie?

Id take some sort of intoxicant and go to the movie and pretend that I liked Tyler Perry so as to win over her friends, and in the process be a heroic boyfriend who hopes to be repaid in kind by his lady.

Or you could take a stand over 2 hours of your life being dedicated to a crappy movie, and then have to deal with countless hours of hearing about how you made said stand.

I would flip the script and ask her why she hasn't internalized the fact that you hate Tyler Perry movies, and why she didn't tell her friends that when the suggestion was made resulting in you being in the awkward position of having to accept. Then again I'm kind of a dick. Instead of digging in or getting defensive, I counterattack.

Not a big deal. It's what you do in a normal relationship, a lot of sucking up. When I was dating my wife I took her to see Apocalypse Now. I loved it, but it wasn't exactly the kinda movie chicks like. Very shortly after we were married she wanted to see Xanadu. I went...what a piece of crap movie that was. Through the course of being married I watched a lot of crap I for sure wouldn't have watched were I on my own.

You go. You don't even have to pretend to like it though for the sake of the relationship maybe you should at least say, "Eh. It was alright". Be sure to chuckle a few times.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 09:45 AM)

You are screwed. You have to see the movie. But remember you need to flip this so it works out for you. She needs to make it up to you for putting you through Perry madness. The Answer to this riddle Shipps was quoted in the movie Love Stinks.

Chelsea: Can I make it up to you?

Seth: What did you have in mind?

Chelsea: Back rub, blow-job, breakfast in bed.

Seth: The three B's! It has a chance at working.

Edited by southsideirish71

Hey Shipps, if you really like this lady, then you gotta see the movie. You don't want to ruin your chances of getting to know this girl more by appearing to be difficult to get along with or unwilling to compromise on movies.

I'm pretty sure if this is an amazing girl, that 2 hours of crappy movies once in a while will be a small price to pay for more time spent with her. :)

Classic relationship mistake is faking something because later it will come out that you lied. Better to be yourself and the lady can take it or leave it. It will work out better for you in the long run. Most people try to hard to cover up their true selves through the first many months or even years of a relationship when its really better to just be yourself in the first place and if they arent a good fit then they can go kick rocks.

My suggestion: Insult Tyler Perry, ridicule her for going to see that trash, and then tell her that if she needs some lovin, text you later.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 08:43 AM)
Not a big deal. It's what you do in a normal relationship, a lot of sucking up. When I was dating my wife I took her to see Apocalypse Now. I loved it, but it wasn't exactly the kinda movie chicks like. Very shortly after we were married she wanted to see Xanadu. I went...what a piece of crap movie that was. Through the course of being married I watched a lot of crap I for sure wouldn't have watched were I on my own.

You go. You don't even have to pretend to like it though for the sake of the relationship maybe you should at least say, "Eh. It was alright". Be sure to chuckle a few times.

This is true, I've seen more shows on weddings and crap like that on tv than I'll ever need to see again. But I guess thats love, haha.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 11:13 AM)
Classic relationship mistake is faking something because later it will come out that you lied. Better to be yourself and the lady can take it or leave it. It will work out better for you in the long run. Most people try to hard to cover up their true selves through the first many months or even years of a relationship when its really better to just be yourself in the first place and if they arent a good fit then they can go kick rocks.

My suggestion: Insult Tyler Perry, ridicule her for going to see that trash, and then tell her that if she needs some lovin, text you later.

Second this. If you fake like you like this stuff, she'll just assume/want you to go to more of it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 12:24 PM)
Second this. If you fake like you like this stuff, she'll just assume/want you to go to more of it.

It's like, "no honey, I dont need to watch 6 hours of college football on saturday, I would MUCH rather sit around at brunch with you and your girlfriends." No I f***ing dont, and I'll tell you that so you dont think thats the norm moving forward. This is what I do, and I will be doing this until I have grandkids standing in front of the TV.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 10:27 AM)
It's like, "no honey, I dont need to watch 6 hours of college football on saturday, I would MUCH rather sit around at brunch with you and your girlfriends." No I f***ing dont, and I'll tell you that so you dont think thats the norm moving forward. This is what I do, and I will be doing this until I have grandkids standing in front of the TV.

Watching a movie that she wants to watch isn't the end of the world. Its not like your giving up your favorite thing in the world to do.

Big difference in.....going antiquing during an OSU (or in my case a Bears game) game and going out to a movie she wants to see on a Friday or Saturday night.

I'm sure she'll end up sitting through far more of your type of movies (Shipps) than you sit through hers.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 12:36 PM)
Watching a movie that she wants to watch isn't the end of the world. Its not like your giving up your favorite thing in the world to do.

Big difference in.....going antiquing during an OSU (or in my case a Bears game) game and going out to a movie she wants to see on a Friday or Saturday night.

I'm sure she'll end up sitting through far more of your type of movies (Shipps) than you sit through hers.

I was just joking, but you do have to draw the line somewhere. Tyler Perry may be that line.

There's a time to take a stand and a time to let it slide. As much as you may hate Tyler Perry, something like this is not where you want to make your stand. To me, this definitely seems like a power move. The chances that this girl remembers what you said are pretty good, and she's going to use this as a test to see if you will bend for her. If you go, you'll likely be rewarded and her friends will like you (considering you are friendly and all). If you make a stand with something this small, it'll be trouble eventually. I mean, it's just a few hours of your time. Concentrate on the benefits of sitting through it.

Think of it as a weekday where your stomach seems a little upset, but you go to work anyway because you're saving your time off for a better time later. This is just my opinion, though.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 11:03 AM)
I would flip the script and ask her why she hasn't internalized the fact that you hate Tyler Perry movies, and why she didn't tell her friends that when the suggestion was made resulting in you being in the awkward position of having to accept. Then again I'm kind of a dick. Instead of digging in or getting defensive, I counterattack.

He can also politely remind her that he's not a fan of Tyler Perry, and use that to his advantage while still going.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 10:37 AM)
I was just joking, but you do have to draw the line somewhere. Tyler Perry may be that line.

I figured, but I know Shipps, and he's liable to take your advice as legit.

I don't know if I could love a women that thought it was a good idea to go to a Tyler Perry movie though :lol:

Its one thing that my girl is a Laker fan, but if she were a Tyler Perry fan :uggg