Hardy to the Twins

striker

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 11:01 AM)
Milwaukee gets Gomez. Good trade for the Twins IMO. Wasn't much of a Gomez fan.

YES, NO MORE CARLOS GOMEZ!!!!!!!!!!

On the bad side, Hardy's a decent player. Just incredibly inconsistent.

I like the trade from the Twins perspect, however, I think in time Gomez is going to turn into a very good player, one who might be more valuable than Hardy in time, but thats a big iff and the Brewers are buying low (than again, so are the Twins). However, Hardy hits very well and the Twins could use some more offensive guys to go around Mauer/Morneau.

I'm not going to lie and I know most people dont' like Gomez and think he's over-rated, but I'd be all about getting him from the Brewers (although it looks like they will be penciling him into CF hoping he gets his s*** together). Long term I think he's going to be a good leadoff hitter who plays a plus defensive CF.

The more I think about this deal, the more I like it (from a Sox perspective). Gomez is the type of guy that will develop to someone that will be a thorn in our side, imo.

I realize he was benched for a chunk of last year, but he's got tools and I love tools. Hardy can hit for power, but is coming of a down year and is a butcher with the glove. Twins are taking a chance, but he'll really hurt there team D and this really is a non-Twins like move.

I'm very curious to see how this works out for each team. Brewers clearly didn't have a need for Hardy with Escobar being there future at SS.

i like this trade. From Ocab to Hardy is a downgrade IMO, he doesnt seem to fit into the Twins small ball game plan, although leaving the Metrodome changes that too. He does get on some big HR binges from time to time, but like earlier person said, very inconsistent

And no more #1 D-bag Carlos Gomez!!!!! :headbang

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 11:00 AM)
Wow, fun start to the offseason. You'd think the offseason was just a week this year. Everyone is working fast. I'm wondering if people are trading quicker do to budget limits and a poor free agent class.

I'm guessing these trades were worked out in the past week or two but are just being announced now that the world series is over, hence the sudden influx.

As for this trade, I'm glad to see Gomez gone.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 12:10 PM)
The more I think about this deal, the more I like it (from a Sox perspective). Gomez is the type of guy that will develop to someone that will be a thorn in our side, imo.

I realize he was benched for a chunk of last year, but he's got tools and I love tools. Hardy can hit for power, but is coming of a down year and is a butcher with the glove. Twins are taking a chance, but he'll really hurt there team D and this really is a non-Twins like move.

I'm very curious to see how this works out for each team. Brewers clearly didn't have a need for Hardy with Escobar being there future at SS.

Hardy is one of the best defensive shortstops in baseball, the last 3 seasons he has posted UZR's of 14.8, 8.2 and 6.7, he's never had a negative UZR and has always had high RngR's as well, and his career high for errors is 15.

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 11:16 AM)
I dont know what to make of this. I loved Gomez's defense, but he couldn't hit for anything.

So the OF for the Twins next year looks to be Delmon Young in LF, Denard Span in CF, Mike Cuddyer in RF.

I would of preferred LF-Span, CF-Gomez RF-Cuddyer

Are they going to re-up Cuddyer?

the Twins had 10 days after the WS to pick up an option for the 2011 season. My answer: its a 1000% lock the Twins will pick it up. He is one of the Clubhouse leaders, and a Twins company man (he is the chair of a few Charities and stuff like that). the the Twins really have no right handed power threat besides him.

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 11:28 AM)
the Twins had 10 days after the WS to pick up an option for the 2011 season. My answer: its a 1000% lock the Twins will pick it up. He is one of the Clubhouse leaders, and a Twins company man (he is the chair of a few Charities and stuff like that). the the Twins really have no right handed power threat besides him.

Gotcha, Do you think they will deal Young? I know he has fallen out of favor up there. Otherwise their off season could be done financially.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 11:34 AM)
Gotcha, Do you think they will deal Young? I know he has fallen out of favor up there. Otherwise their off season could be done financially.

Unless there is a FA signing, I see Delmon patrolled LF next year. He started out slow, then his mother died and missed over a week to be with her/funeral. Then he got back and didnt see much palying time because Span and Kubel were raking. Then when Morneau got hurt and Cuddy slid to first, Young saw a lot of playing time in Sept. and was pretty good. I think the Twins are going to stick with him for another year and see if it all pans out for him.

QUOTE (League @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 09:15 AM)
Hardy is one of the best defensive shortstops in baseball, the last 3 seasons he has posted UZR's of 14.8, 8.2 and 6.7, he's never had a negative UZR and has always had high RngR's as well, and his career high for errors is 15.

I stand corrected. Can't say I watch a ton of Brewers games but I always heard analysts saying he had poor range at short. Hell, I thought that was the big reason they wanted Escobar (because he was going to be such a defensive upgrade).

Cause personally, I don't think much of Escobar as he doesn't have too many offensive tools.