Hardy to the Twins

striker

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 01:53 PM)
Career vs sox:

.317 .344 .504 .848 20% of his career RBI's have come against the SOX

Yeah he kicked our ass in '08 (we're the only team he hit that year) then did absolutely nothing against us last year. That's not much of a track record.

QUOTE (Felix @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 02:12 PM)
So you know nothing about the Twins?

I thought I could leave it at this, but I can't. Carlos Gomez hit .229/.287/.337 last year with pretty good defense in CF. Because of the defense, he was better than a replacement player, believe it or not. He's a fantastic defensive player, but there is no way in hell anyone can actually believe he was their third best player. He was tied (with Jose Morales, who didn't even spend the full season in the majors) for the 8th highest WAR on the team, behind superstars like Nick Punto and Joe Crede. Also ahead of him were Mauer, Morneau, Jason Kubel, Michael Cuddyer and Denard Span. This list doesn't even include their pitchers, who would push Gomez back to at least the 11th or 12th most valuable player on the team last year.

There is no possible argument you could make for Gomez being the third best player on that team. Unless you never watched or read anything about the Twins, and then happened to turn on the game where Gomez hit for the cycle. In that case, your opinion might be excused, but other than that.. well.. it's pretty amazing someone can be this foolish.

Edited by Felix

Lol, someone else posted this on another board.

So to review, the Twins traded the undisputed best pitcher in baseball, under 30 years old, and with a long history of abject domination, for the following:

- Kevin Mulvey (waived, traded for Jon Rauch )

- Phil Humber (DFAed )

- Deolis Guerra (mediocre minor leaguer for the Fort Myers Miracle)

- Carlos Gomez (traded away for JJ Hardy)

This almost makes up for the Scott Kazmir trade.

...almost.

The Sox quite literally subsidized Gomez's batting average in '08 and without us spotting him about 30 or so points of his average on the year he would have been f***ing brutal in '08 just like he was in '09. In '09 he played just as bad against the Sox as he did against MLB so I think that about shattered the illusion that he was on his way to being a good offensive player.