Garfien reports Sox might "revisit" a Thome return

southsider2k5

QUOTE (almagest @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 09:17 PM)
I think Thome is the best option we have for DH at this point.

At this point? We have no idea who's going to be available this offseason. Unless Thome is willing to take a one year, one million dollar contract, I say no thanks.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 03:22 PM)
It's time to move on. He has become a role player without a position at this point. I hope this team has its' sights set a little higher.

I'm sure their sights are set a little higher, but I'm not sure they have the means to get to those heights. We still need a RF and bullpen help

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 02:22 PM)
It's time to move on. He has become a role player without a position at this point. I hope this team has its' sights set a little higher.

Exactly, if we are settling on Thome we are in deep trouble. He's in serious decline, is a terrible base clogger and really doesnt appear to fit on this team. Time to wish him a good retirement.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 09:39 PM)
Exactly, if we are settling on Thome we are in deep trouble. He's in serious decline, is a terrible base clogger and really doesnt appear to fit on this team. Time to wish him a good retirement.

You guys said it a lot better than I did. We all love Thome for the person he is, but I don't want to watch him hit for the Sox anymore.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 12:22 PM)

If the Sox make a bigger splash to fill the OF spot, than I think Thome is a great fit. If we go cheap or give the job to Danks, than I think the team needs to get an impact bat for the DH spot and that bat wouldn't be Thome at this point, imo.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 03:02 PM)
If the Sox make a bigger splash to fill the OF spot, than I think Thome is a great fit. If we go cheap or give the job to Danks, than I think the team needs to get an impact bat for the DH spot and that bat wouldn't be Thome at this point, imo.

^^^^^^

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 01:04 PM)
^^^^^^

There are a ton of guys out there as potential DH's:

Matsui/Damon/Nick Johnson/Delgado (missed most of this year and his injury...a hip, could ruin his career, but a year ago he hit 38Hr's)/Troy Glaus (missed almost the entire year with shoulder surgery)/Adam LaRoche.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I buy the idea of going after a guy like LaRoche, who had a pretty damn solid season and did great with Atlanta this year.

I can't imagine LaRoche costing a ton and he's not a significant downgrade from Paulie. If you can move Paulie you can really free up the funds to make a move for one above average offensive player and than sign LaRoche and another guy for 1st/DH.