Xavier Nady (B

Magglio Ordonez

Scott Podsednik

Manny Ramirez * (A)

Dave Roberts

Gary Sheffield

Fernando Tatis (B

Randy Winn (B

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)
I can see us taking a flyer on Vlad if his price isn't too high. He would be an under the radar move since all eyes will be on Holliday. I know he's a free swinger, but the Sox have been trying to get contact hitters with patience for like 5 years and it never actually happens.

Just my own guess though.

Vladdy would be a nice DH candidate if we found a left handed hitting outfielder.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 03:41 PM)
I can see us taking a flyer on Vlad if his price isn't too high. He would be an under the radar move since all eyes will be on Holliday. I know he's a free swinger, but the Sox have been trying to get contact hitters with patience for like 5 years and it never actually happens.

Just my own guess though.

Vlad is a full time DH at this point in his career.

QUOTE (SockMe @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 04:23 PM)
I would love Bay, Damon, Byrd, Winn, Ankiel, Matsui or Reed Johnson.

Bay would be waaay to expensive.

I could see KW wanting Damon.

Winn is a possibility....not sure I like the idea though.

Byrd, Ankiel and Matsui (as a DH though) intrigue me the most.

I don't view Reed Johnson as a starter in the AL.

Why not try to get Josh Hamilton the Rangers have a lot of outfielders with Borbon ,Cruz, Murphy, Boggs . So it is possible and maybe can get him for some pitching prospects plus he is cheap salary wise and under team control for a while .

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 04:26 PM)
Bay would be waaay to expensive.

I could see KW wanting Damon.

Winn is a possibility....not sure I like the idea though.

Byrd, Ankiel and Matsui (as a DH though) intrigue me the most.

I don't view Reed Johnson as a starter in the AL.

I think Byrd could be a GOODS, cheap acquisition

Wouldn't Marlon Byrd and say a LaRoche be a relatively realistic off-season regarding our lineup. We'd have a lineup lacking a great offensive player (Beckham might turn into one as early as next year and Quentin will hopefully be one again next year) but a lot of quality players.

Plus we'd have a ton of flexibility and pretty good defense (Byrd would be a very solid RF and could play CF in a pinch).

The club could than focus on Jenks/Konerko and resigning our young players to some contracts. And if we move a KOnerko we'd have a hell of a lot of flexibility for his replacement.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 05:05 PM)
Wouldn't Marlon Byrd and say a LaRoche be a relatively realistic off-season regarding our lineup. We'd have a lineup lacking a great offensive player (Beckham might turn into one as early as next year and Quentin will hopefully be one again next year) but a lot of quality players.

Plus we'd have a ton of flexibility and pretty good defense (Byrd would be a very solid RF and could play CF in a pinch).

The club could than focus on Jenks/Konerko and resigning our young players to some contracts. And if we move a KOnerko we'd have a hell of a lot of flexibility for his replacement.

LaRoche is a pretty mediocre player. He's a .350 wOBA 1B (one of only 5 1B under Konerko in '09) which puts him in the bottom 25% at that position. Basically, if you like a slightly lesser version of what Konerko did last year (accounting for the league switch) except from the left side and with 10% more K's then Adam's your man.

QUOTE (SockMe @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 02:23 PM)
I would love Bay, Damon, Byrd, Winn, Ankiel, Matsui or Reed Johnson.

No way that I want Damon and his noodle arm in RF. Matsui is a DH at this point in his career and I don't think that he has the arm to play RF either.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 03:30 PM)
LaRoche is a pretty mediocre player. He's a .350 wOBA 1B (one of only 5 1B under Konerko in '09) which puts him in the bottom 25% at that position. Basically, if you like a slightly lesser version of what Konerko did last year (accounting for the league switch) except from the left side and with 10% more K's then Adam's your man.

At significantly less money. Factor in what he did in Atlanta and potential upside and he could be a bit better. Basically I'm alluding to the fact that you can get solid production out of LaRoche for cheap and he could end up being better than expected (just looking at what he did in Atlanta while playing for a contender).

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 03:30 PM)

Is that counting his numbers for the whole year or just with Atlanta? He was a totally different player in Atlanta from Pittsburgh (which of course makes me wonder how he'll hit anywhere other than Atlanta0

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 03:38 PM)
Is that counting his numbers for the whole year or just with Atlanta? He was a totally different player in Atlanta from Pittsburgh (which of course makes me wonder how he'll hit anywhere other than Atlanta0

That was his numbers on the whole.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 05:38 PM)
At significantly less money. Factor in what he did in Atlanta and potential upside and he could be a bit better. Basically I'm alluding to the fact that you can get solid production out of LaRoche for cheap and he could end up being better than expected (just looking at what he did in Atlanta while playing for a contender).

He does that every year. He sucks in the first half and puts up big numbers after the all star break.

Career:

1st Half: .773 OPS

2nd Half: 909 OPS

2009:

1st Half: .784 OPS

2nd Half: .915 OPS

He's been in the league long enough to where you know what you're getting from him and that's a ~.353 wOBA/.840 OPS 1B.

I'm also curious as to why a team would trade for a $12M Konerko when they could just sign LaRoche themselves or say Hank Blalock, Russell Branyan, Aubrey Huff or Nick Johnson?