Right Field

Vance Law

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 03:39 PM)
That was his numbers on the whole.

Then I'm going to discount them. He was a solid hitter with Hotlanta. .325 batting, .958 OPS. He may not be that good of a player anywhere else, I'm not sure, but Atlanta and Pittsburgh had 2 totally different players.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 05:38 PM)
Is that counting his numbers for the whole year or just with Atlanta? He was a totally different player in Atlanta from Pittsburgh (which of course makes me wonder how he'll hit anywhere other than Atlanta0

Even in that one big year he had with Atlanta he demonstrated his penchant for vastly different pre/post AS break splits. With a .200 point difference in OPS between the 2.

Also, success with Atlanta and failure with Pittsburgh doesn't equal success in Chicago.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 03:46 PM)
He does that every year. He sucks in the first half and puts up big numbers after the all star break.

Career:

1st Half: .773 OPS

2nd Half: 909 OPS

2009:

1st Half: .784 OPS

2nd Half: .915 OPS

He's been in the league long enough to where you know what you're getting from him and that's a ~.353 wOBA/.840 OPS 1B.

I'm also curious as to why a team would trade for a $12M Konerko when they could just sign LaRoche themselves or say Hank Blalock, Russell Branyan, Aubrey Huff or Nick Johnson?

You are exactly right. I would say that Konerko has a far more proven track-record than everyone but LaRoche. Konerko is widely regarded as a leader. Essentially Konerko has bigger name recognition and that could play a factor.

But people pay for names. There is no question the Angels, Giants, and other teams would intrigued with the possibility of Konerko. He also has put up his numbers in the middle of the order as one of the main run producers of contending teams where as the other guys haven't.

Not saying Paulie is 6 or 7M better than them, but I'd say he's better than some of them by close to that margin on a historical stand-point (in the sense that with Paulie, if he's healthy you know what you'll get).

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 05:49 PM)
Even in that one big year he had with Atlanta he demonstrated his penchant for vastly different pre/post AS break splits. With a .200 point difference in OPS between the 2.

Also, success with Atlanta and failure with Pittsburgh doesn't equal success in Chicago.

Well... that means he's getting hot at the right time for a contending team.. ;)

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 03:49 PM)

But he'd be playing in a much more offensive friendly park than Turner or PNC. I'm not saying he's going to put up a >900 OPS but I wouldn't be shocked if he put up an .850 or so OPS from the left side of the plate at a fair price and quite frankly that is just fine with me given our rotation.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 05:50 PM)
You are exactly right. I would say that Konerko has a far more proven track-record than everyone but LaRoche. Konerko is widely regarded as a leader. Essentially Konerko has bigger name recognition and that could play a factor.

But people pay for names. There is no question the Angels, Giants, and other teams would intrigued with the possibility of Konerko. He also has put up his numbers in the middle of the order as one of the main run producers of contending teams where as the other guys haven't.

Not saying Paulie is 6 or 7M better than them, but I'd say he's better than some of them by close to that margin on a historical stand-point (in the sense that with Paulie, if he's healthy you know what you'll get).

I don't think that's true at all. One call to someone familiar with the White Sox's situation and they're going to hear something very different. Aside from being old and a pretty good player (leading by example and seniority) Konerko doesn't demonstrate any of the qualities you look for in a team leader.

I just don't see a team giving up talent and a substantial amount of money in order to acquire a 3rd tier name.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 05:51 PM)
But he'd be playing in a much more offensive friendly park than Turner or PNC. I'm not saying he's going to put up a >900 OPS but I wouldn't be shocked if he put up an .850 or so OPS from the left side of the plate at a fair price and quite frankly that is just fine with me given our rotation.

Yeah, .850 is about what he does (in the NL) and it's incredibly pedestrian for a 1B. Last year 15 first basemen put up an .870+ OPS.

After listening to Cowley and Stone on B&B I think White Sox need do whatever they can to pursue Carl Crawford (For JorDanks, Bobby Jenks and a throw in) and give DH time to Tyler Flowers who also would be a back up catcher. Then you DH Kotsay on days Flowers is catching and AJ is getting a day off.

Any left over money you have to build your bullpen, Thornton being the closer.

RF Crawford

2B Beckham

LF Quentin

1B Konerko

DH Flowers

C AJP

3B Teahen

CF Rios

SS Ramirez

Bench

Kotsay OF/1B/DH

Retherford 2B/SS/3B/C

De Aza 4th oufielder/leadoff

Nix 2B/SS

Can this work?

QUOTE (tommy @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 06:01 PM)
RF Crawford

2B Beckham

LF Quentin

1B Konerko

DH Flowers

C AJP

3B Teahen

CF Rios

SS Ramirez

I only count 3 guys that can get on base with at least a .350 clip (4 if you count Flowers). Flowers has the potential to do it, but counting on a rookie to do so right now is asking alot. And to hint.. Crawford has only done that twice in his career so I excluded him. We have the OPS guys.. I just want our offense to be alittle more stable all around with some OBP guys which I hope KW addresses this offseason.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 06:07 PM)
I only count 3 guys that can get on base with at least a .350 clip (4 if you count Flowers). Flowers has the potential to do it, but counting on a rookie to do so right now is asking alot. And to hint.. Crawford has only done that twice in his career so I excluded him. We have the OPS guys.. I just want our offense to be alittle more stable all around with some OBP guys which I hope KW addresses this offseason.

Not counting .348 is incredibly dishonest. He's averaged a .350 OBP, .800 OPS and 50 SB over the past 4 seasons. He's also arguably the best defensive LF in the game having one 3 of the last 4 fielding bible awards and finishing 2nd in that 1 other year.

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 06:12 PM)
Kenny's probably hyping him up so he can trade him. He's waiting for his brother to sign his extension first.

I still think having his brother, the fact that they changed agents, etc., pretty much is a 100% guarantee that D2: the mighty danks will get a shot in the White Sox OF before any trades with him are even considered. I think his brother makes him the 1 untouchable in our minor leagues right now.

QUOTE (SockMe @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 11:15 PM)
regarding the potential Crawford trade, is that just something that Cowley made up or is that a legit trade in the works?

It was on B&B today from what Cowley mentioned. Supposedly could be a "sexy" rumor leading up to the Winter meetings.

The problem is most of those names on that FA list (or these proposals) are either LF, or old DHs at this point. I personally think our RF will probably come via trade by KW, though one interesting name on that list (though he's had two brutal years, then again.. it was with a horrid team and maybe a change of scenery and revival of career is in order) is Austin Kearns who actually has a career .353 OBP. I haven't seen him though for a long time so I dunno if he's as bad as it seems though but I think he coulda be a perfect buy low candidate and will still only be 30 midway through the upcomming season so he's still in his prime window. Wasn't he top 3 in the fielding bible award a couple years ago Kalapse? I always remembered him being very good defensively in RF. Risky, but I think being dicked around over in Washington, not to mention going to a contender and hitter friendly park (which I believe he's played mostly in pitcher's parks in his career) can be beneficial for him.

It also depends what we want to do with Quentin who can either stay in LF, get moved to RF which solves that problem, or can DH depending on what KW does in the outfield and be that "last resort guy". It's always fun though to discuss this stuff as we all (and even other fans on other teams) know that KW is very unpredictable.

EDIT: Now looking at his UZR, he still plays a strong right field does Kearns.

Here's some potential RF names on the block. Though I'm not a fan of the site

Next up in our Trade Market series, right fielders. The free agent market presents options such as Jermaine Dye, Brian Giles, Vladimir Guerrero, and Xavier Nady.

Brad Hawpe, Rockies. Hawpe, 30, hit .285/.384/.519 this year in 588 plate appearances. He's set to earn $7.5MM in 2010 and has a $10MM club option for '11 that he can void if traded. The knock on Hawpe is his poor defense. Last month in response to rumors, Rockies GM Dan O'Dowd said, "We have no desire to move him at all." Speculations persists because the Rockies have Seth Smith, Dexter Fowler, Carlos Gonzalez, and Ryan Spilborghs in the outfield.

Ryan Ludwick, Cardinals. Ludwick gets a mention because he was part of trade talks a year ago. The 31-year-old slipped to .265/.329/.447 this year after mashing 37 homers in '08. He's under team control through 2011.

Milton Bradley, Cubs. The Cubs seem likely to trade Bradley after he slugged just .397 in his first season for them and caused problems off the field. Since he's owed $21MM over the 2010 and '11 seasons, the Cubs will have to match him up with another bad contract.

Jose Guillen, Royals. Guillen's bad contract only has one year left, at $12MM next year. He was hobbled by hip and knee injuries this year.

Travis Buck, Athletics. Buck seemed to have a bright future after a .288/.377/.474 rookie season in '07. Instead, he's been affected by shin splints, a concussion, a shoulder injury, and an oblique strain. He hit .272/.345/.418 at Triple A this year.

Gary Matthews Jr., Angels. You know the story - Matthews is owed $23MM over the next two seasons and wants to be some team's starting center fielder. He's listed here because he has spent 562 innings in right over the past two seasons

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 08:56 PM)
I still think having his brother, the fact that they changed agents, etc., pretty much is a 100% guarantee that D2: the mighty danks will get a shot in the White Sox OF before any trades with him are even considered. I think his brother makes him the 1 untouchable in our minor leagues right now.

That's a bold statement knowing our GM, but I'm right on board that ship with ya. I'd say CJ Retherford would go to Tampa now that Iwamura is gone. He's now our best trading piece with Beckham at 2nd and Viciedo to take 3rd post Teahen.

I might as well post the LF names as well though some of them can be or should be DHs.

Looking to trade for a left fielder? This entry in the Trade Market series has you covered. We covered free agent left fielders here.

Carl Crawford, Rays. Crawford's $10MM (plus escalators) club option for 2010 should be exercised soon. Crawford has said he'd like to sign an extension this winter or else play out the 2010 season and try free agency. In a September mailbag, Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times considered a winter Crawford trade "very unlikely" but a July trade possible if the Rays fall out of contention. The 28-year-old speedster hit .305/.364/.452 in 672 plate appearances this year.

Carlos Lee, Astros. Lee is owed a hefty $55.5MM over the next three seasons, and he has a full no-trade clause in 2010. There's no indication the Astros are trying to move him, but the payroll flexibility wouldn't hurt.

Josh Willingham, Nationals. Willingham, 31 in February, hit .260/.367/.496 in 502 plate appearances this year. He's due an arbitration raise on his '09 salary of $2.95MM. Willingham and Adam Dunn drew interest at the trade deadline, but GM Mike Rizzo set a high asking price.

Adam Dunn, Nationals. Dunn was named in our first baseman post, but he did play 505 innings in left field this year.

Juan Pierre, Dodgers. Assuming Manny Ramirez exercises his $20MM player option, the Dodgers could attempt to trade Pierre. Pierre is owed $18.5MM over the next two seasons. His .365 OBP this year was his best since 2004.

David DeJesus, Royals. DeJesus has appeared in stray rumors over the years. He's owed $4.7MM next year and has a $6MM club option for '11. He posted a .281/.347/.434 line and plays a strong left field.

Chase Headley, Padres. With Kevin Kouzmanoff manning third base for the Padres, Headley spent most of his time in left field. He didn't show much pop, tallying a .262/.342/.392 line in his first full season. To his credit, he hit .305/.377/.426 away from Petco and had a similar split last year. The Padres may decide to trade Kouzmanoff and put Headley back at third base.

Jose Bautista, Blue Jays. We discussed him in our third baseman post, but Bautista logged 322 innings in left field this year.

Delmon Young, Twins. It's not crazy to consider Young a non-tender candidate after 2009's weak .284/.308/.425 line and dismal defense. Still, Young is only 24 and was considered the best prospect in baseball a few years ago. Would a second change of scenery help?

Eric Byrnes, Diamondbacks. The D'Backs figure to attempt to trade Byrnes before eating the entire $11MM he's owed. Byrnes could be part of a bad contract swap.

Jack Cust, Athletics. Cust is a DH at heart, but he played 401 innings in right field this year and 585.6 in left field in '08. He's a non-tender candidate after slipping to .240/.356/.417 this year. The A's could try to move him before that December 12th decision comes due (Cust earned $2.8MM this year).

Luke Scott, Orioles. Scott, 31, spent most of his time at DH this year. He logged 199 innings in left field after getting 840 in '08. Bolstered by a huge May, Scott posted a .258/.340/.488 line this year. He's due an arbitration raise on his $2.4MM salary.

Marcus Thames, Tigers. Thames could be non-tendered after earning $2.275MM to hit .252/.323/.453 in 294 PAs. He tallied 125 innings in left this year after 488 in '08.

Matt Murton, Rockies. Murton, 28, toiled in Triple A most of the year, hitting .324/.389/.499 at Colorado Springs. He did a decent job when he last played regularly in the Majors for the Cubs.

Edited by SoxAce