Old Timers History Question

Texsox

I am looking over some US History materials and came across the Era of Good Feeling, the time right after the War of 1812. The term is new to me, I am wondering if I was day dreaming back then, or is this a new milestone being taught.

It was taught in mine as well. Although we'd technically lost to the British in 1812, we'd won some serious concessions from them. Their army had controlled forts in the midwest after the Revolution and they refused to give them up until the treaty was signed ending that war, so that war helped us control the central part of the continent. And although the war was over, Andrew Jackson smashed the british army trying to take New Orleans (they hadn't yet heard word of the peace). The Era of good feelings was something of a celebration of how we came out of that war.

It was also referenced in the early 90's James L. Brooks/Jon Lovitz series "The Critic".

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 10:16 PM)
No, it's definitely a term we used for that period in HS American History class. Maybe your class year was too close in time to that period to have a full understanding of it?

Very well done. Almost spit out my drink.