Adrian Gonzalez

kwill

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 14, 2009 -> 03:10 PM)
Ely will probably be in the mix as well if he pitches as well in AAA like he did in AA.

Yeah, i figured using the phrase "et al." was about as well as I could do to represent the number of other possible candidates who could step up. There's a few, he's among them, and I didn't want to review our entire minor league roster.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 14, 2009 -> 04:59 PM)
I think the best example would be a guy going from throwing 100 innings in the minors to trying to throw 200+ in the bigs with no step in-between. It's possible everything could work swimmingly. But it's also very possible, perhaps likely, that he'll reach the middle of the season and hit a dead-arm period because his arm hasn't been used like that before. Or, it's also possible that something that hasn't been worked out in the same way the last few years could go fine for a while and then suddenly snap. So, the answer is; all of the above. Some pitchers come up and can take a huge innings jump right away and never get hurt or really show a dead-arm stretch, but it's pretty darn rare.

We can push him as hard as he can go...but if we don't have a backup plan, its a roll of the dice.

The dead arm period everyone is going to go through. Freddy is no different in that case.

I think you're overestimating the risk of a re-injury greatly.

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Tommy_John_surgery

I counted 162 names on that list and of those 162 only 15 had to undergo the procedure 2-3 times, and some of those guys had pretty scary deliveries as it was.

Freddy will start 2010 almost 2 years after returning to the mound. It's not like he's spent that time sitting on the couch eating Doritos, he's been working through rehab and throwing regularly. The only reason he did not throw more innings in 2009 was because his arm wasn't strong enough to be effective, so instead they focused on strength and conditioning to get him back up to par.

It's also not extremely rare as you say for a SP to step right back into it and work big innings in his first full season back. Chris Carpenter for example just this year threw 192.2IP in his first full year back from TJ.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 14, 2009 -> 05:24 PM)
The dead arm period everyone is going to go through. Freddy is no different in that case.

I think you're overestimating the risk of a re-injury greatly.

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Tommy_John_surgery

I counted 162 names on that list and of those 162 only 15 had to undergo the procedure 2-3 times, and some of those guys had pretty scary deliveries as it was.

Freddy will start 2010 almost 2 years after returning to the mound. It's not like he's spent that time sitting on the couch eating Doritos, he's been working through rehab and throwing regularly. The only reason he did not throw more innings in 2009 was because his arm wasn't strong enough to be effective, so instead they focused on strength and conditioning to get him back up to par.

It's also not extremely rare as you say for a SP to step right back into it and work big innings in his first full season back. Chris Carpenter for example just this year threw 192.2IP in his first full year back from TJ.

Freddy had shoulder surgery, not TJ. From what I understand, elbows are a lot easier to fix than shoulders. Its pretty rare for a guy to pitch as little as Freddy has the past 3 years and suddenly go up to 150-175 IP. I would definitely bet against it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 14, 2009 -> 07:24 PM)
Freddy had shoulder surgery, not TJ. From what I understand, elbows are a lot easier to fix than shoulders. Its pretty rare for a guy to pitch as little as Freddy has the past 3 years and suddenly go up to 150-175 IP. I would definitely bet against it.

Yep. Can't believe I missed that.

Assuming that Freddy's going to pitch like its 2006 because he's no longer throwing in the mid-80s is crazy. His likelihood of injury is far higher than any other pitcher on the staff.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 14, 2009 -> 06:24 PM)

God I'm f***ing stupid. You're absolutely right, I thought it was TJ. He had surgery on his labrum and rotator cuff. Still, I'll be optimistic about him, but you're right, shoulder issues are a lot scarier than elbow injuries in general and the idea of counting on him for more than 20-25 starts is probably optimistic until he proves he can do it.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 15, 2009 -> 05:04 AM)
I know that he hits oppo for power quite a lot.

His home run log

I was watching some of his highlight videos on MLB.com before and towards the end of the season, during one of the videos a graphic popped up showing something like 3/4 of his bombs being hit to CF and LF, and the announcers said he was still leading the league (maybe baseball?) in opposite field home runs. I don't know where you go to find those kinds of stats, but he's either at the top or right around the top in all of of baseball in terms of opposite field shots.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 14, 2009 -> 06:22 PM)
I'd say after Hudson, Hynick, and Torres, Ely is 4th in line of spot-starter guys. He's a very good arm, hopefully, he keeps giving us encouraging signs.

If I had to guess... Hudson will be in the pen waiting for Freddy to founder (which may or may not happen), Torres will be kept around as a long reliever or else be in another org, Hynick will stay in AAA and be, essentially, the backup plan. Ely and Shirek will pitch fulls seasons in AAA and show if either or both are ready to make the jump in 2011.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Nov 15, 2009 -> 12:59 AM)
Anyone wana see Agon´s stats on where he sprayed the ball by park for the last year of two?

NL or AL or both?

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 15, 2009 -> 05:04 AM)
I know that he hits oppo for power quite a lot.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 15, 2009 -> 11:01 AM)
His home run log

I was watching some of his highlight videos on MLB.com before and towards the end of the season, during one of the videos a graphic popped up showing something like 3/4 of his bombs being hit to CF and LF, and the announcers said he was still leading the league (maybe baseball?) in opposite field home runs. I don't know where you go to find those kinds of stats, but he's either at the top or right around the top in all of of baseball in terms of opposite field shots.

Adrian Gonzalez Hit Tracker Spray Chart

• 2 months later...

More fodder on Agon. I know pipe down. Couldn't resist though.

http://fantasybaseball.usatoday.com/conten...MLB&id=3593

There is a quote from Moored that they will have trade Agon sooner rather than later in the 3rd paragraph down.

You never know.

Full article with second link here.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/feb/03/1s3sullivan/

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 11:59 PM)
More fodder on Agon. I know pipe down. Couldn't resist though.

http://fantasybaseball.usatoday.com/conten...MLB&id=3593

There is a quote from Moored that they will have trade Agon sooner rather than later in the 3rd paragraph down.

You never know.

Full article with second link here.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/feb/03/1s3sullivan/

In three simulated swings against former Padres ace Jake Peavy, Mauer missed the sign for a squeeze play, pulled a foul down the first-base line, then waved at two robust fastballs.

Take that Joe Mauer.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 12:50 AM)
At this point, if all it would take is Hudson, Flowers, and Danks we might as well do it. We need the shot in the arm, and as much as i dig the idea of both Danks brothers starting for the team at the same time, i'm far more sentimental about a guy who could pop 50 from the left-side.

If all it takes is Hudson, Flowers, and D2, then pull the trigger.

I too would love to see the D&D brothers (like the M&M Boys in Minny, and it would allow them to enter to this) but I'd get over it.

(Also, Hudson, Flowers and D2 seems very cheap. I'd believe something like Hudson-Flowers-Mitchell-Morel or Hudson-Flowers-Danks-Viciedo would be more likely)

At this point, if all it would take is Hudson, Flowers, and Danks we might as well do it. We need the shot in the arm, and as much as i dig the idea of both Danks brothers starting for the team at the same time, i'm far more sentimental about a guy who could pop 50 from the left-side.

If that's "all" it took it would've been done weeks ago. If (big if) the Padres decide to make AGON available, they'll be some MAJOR competition between multiple teams to top what the other is offering. AGON almost certainly won't be dealt between now and opening day. The earliest I can see is mid-season. Hopefully will have multiple prospects either rake or dominate on the mound in order to legitimately strengthen our would be offer.

Edited by Jordan4life

Not to mention he can be the last piece to a championship contending team. .

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 03:58 AM)
If that's "all" it took it would've been done weeks ago. If (big if) the Padres decide to make AGON available, they'll be some MAJOR competition between multiple teams to top what the other is offering. AGON almost certainly won't be dealt between now and opening day. The earliest I can see is mid-season. Hopefully will have multiple prospects either rake or dominate on the mound in order to legitimately strengthen our would be offer.

I used to include Viciedo in all of my Gonzalez trade hypothetical’s, but lately all I’m hearing is the three names. And if that’s the case, and it really is a standing offer, I’m not sure what the holdup is,

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 09:11 AM)
I used to include Viciedo in all of my Gonzalez trade hypothetical’s, but lately all I’m hearing is the three names. And if that’s the case, and it really is a standing offer, I’m not sure what the holdup is,

That San Diego isn't stupid?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 09:11 AM)

Hearing from who?

The 3 names I have been hearing most often mentioned in any base package (I actually start most Agon threads with these three) are Huddie, Flowers, and Morel. At the moment what the Padres really need are quality MLB ready talent that are under control. All three of those have at least 3 Pre-Arb years left and I am not sure if they stack up well with what Boston will offer. One of the keys may be number of Pre-arb years the prospects traded (If it goes down) have and if the Pads are willing to accept a tliitle less quality for more years of control. I thought since they traded Kouz they would need a good 3rd base prospect but I could be mistaken. Anyway my 2 cents again.