Adrian Gonzalez

kwill

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 6, 2010 -> 03:34 PM)
Is this renewed "we're gonna trade from Agon" talk coming from any news or just the burning desire to feel like our administration does care about not losing.

See post #334. If SD is intent on trading Gonzalez--which is very much implied by the fact that they cannot afford a long term deal like the Twins and Mauer--then the sox can't be overlooked because of KW's history of dealmaking and the sox need for a bat like Agon.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Feb 6, 2010 -> 02:39 PM)
See post #334. If SD is intent on trading Gonzalez--which is very much implied by the fact that they cannot afford a long term deal like the Twins and Mauer--then the sox can't be overlooked because of KW's history of dealmaking and the sox need for a bat like Agon.

So nothing's changed, got it.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Feb 6, 2010 -> 08:53 AM)
Maybe the Sox are waiting until Thompson or Mitchell can benamed the PTBNL. They can't do this until April correct? Then they could not be traded/named until June.

Sorry just bored.

Someone mentioned to me a few months ago that a player can be a PTBNL for 6 months. If that is true, since Mitchell was drafted in June 09, he could be a PTBNL. Maybe i should google it... as I am just repeating what was told to me by another poster.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 6, 2010 -> 09:01 AM)
So nothing's changed, got it.

No, post 344 i think

The Padres FO and AGon's agent both stated on Tuesday or Wednesday that Gonzalez will not be able to fit into the Padres financial structure. The word was that they had met to talk about his contract and the future. I'm sure his agent said something like he is an 8 year 180M player. Padres said: thanks, we'll trade him now. Or something of that nature went down. It is in two different articles.

Here is one again: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/feb/03/1s3sullivan/

Edited by Mattchoo

No, post 344 i think

The Padres FO and AGon's agent both stated on Tuesday or Wednesday that Gonzalez will not be able to fit into the Padres financial structure. The word was that they had met to talk about his contract and the future. I'm sure his agent said something like he is an 8 year 180M player. Padres said: thanks, we'll trade him now. Or something of that nature went down. It is in two different articles.

Here is one again: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/feb/03/1s3sullivan/

If AGon is rakin in July as all indications point to, and the Sox as expected are in the thick of the race I would hope KW would have that trick up his sleeve to at least try to dangle a package of players in front of Hoyer. Who knows if the most mentioned prospects are raking in A/AA/AAA, then we have more leverage. But another thing I hope happens if (Huge IF) by some miracle we can pull this off would be for KW to convince JR the need of signing AGon to at least a 4-5 year extension. That is gonna be at least 20-22 million per year range. One has hopes.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Feb 6, 2010 -> 09:27 AM)
If AGon is rakin in July as all indications point to, and the Sox as expected are in the thick of the race I would hope KW would have that trick up his sleeve to at least try to dangle a package of players in front of Hoyer. Who knows if the most mentioned prospects are raking in A/AA/AAA, then we have more leverage. But another thing I hope happens if (Huge IF) by some miracle we can pull this off would be for KW to convince JR the need of signing AGon to at least a 4-5 year extension. That is gonna be at least 20-22 million per year range. One has hopes.

I would be so happy to get him, but we are just teasing ourselves with these threads. I'm sure KW could make a trade work, but nothing is imminent.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Feb 6, 2010 -> 08:53 AM)
Maybe the Sox are waiting until Thompson or Mitchell can benamed the PTBNL. They can't do this until April correct? Then they could not be traded/named until June.

Sorry just bored.

From SD's perspective, those are tools guys. I'm sure they would want to see how they have progressed before trading one of the biggest trading chips in modern MLB history when you consider production and contract, for a package that includes them. They really can't afford to be wrong. Hopefully some Sox farmhands can look good this spring and start off well improving their worth. I just don't know how SD sells trading Gonzalez for a bunch of prospects not even ranked top 50 right now. They could pay Gonzalez $5 million a year, get the 40 homers, .400 OBP and GG performance, and get 2 picks for him. Obviously, getting top minor leaguers is better than the picks because you have a better idea of their true potential and don't have to pay their bonuses, but its still a decent fallback.

I think we should all look at this as if the situation was reversed and the Sox had Gonzalez and were dealing him. What kind of prospects would you want back? We would all want at least one top 10 guy, a Gordon Beckham-like guy, and a bunch more. Who knows, maybe that's why KW was talking about Jordan Danks saying he felt the same about him he did about Beckham. Not guys with a lot of tools who may be considered a good prospect some day. Not guys who who have a lot of question marks. As many as close to sure-fire good players as they can get. If KW can pull it off, kudos. I don't think he has the ammo.

Edited by Dick Allen

From SD's perspective, those are tools guys. I'm sure they would want to see how they have progressed before trading one of the biggest trading chips in modern MLB history when you consider production and contract, for a package that includes them. They really can't afford to be wrong. Hopefully some Sox farmhands can look good this spring and start off well improving their worth. I just don't know how SD sells trading Gonzalez for a bunch of prospects not even ranked top 50 right now. They could pay Gonzalez $5 million a year, get the 40 homers, .400 OBP and GG performance, and get 2 picks for him. Obviously, getting top minor leaguers is better than the picks because you have a better idea of their true potential and don't have to pay their bonuses, but its still a decent fallback.

I think we should all look at this as if the situation was reversed and the Sox had Gonzalez and were dealing him. What kind of prospects would you want back? We would all want at least one top 10 guy, a Gordon Beckham-like guy, and a bunch more. Who knows, maybe that's why KW was talking about Jordan Danks saying he felt the same about him he did about Beckham. Not guys with a lot of tools who may be considered a good prospect some day. Not guys who who have a lot of question marks. As many as close to sure-fire good players as they can get. If KW can pull it off, kudos. I don't think he has the ammo.

DA, to be objective when I got laughed out of a couple of other boards for just (Just I say) proposing a base of Hudson/Flowers/Morel to fellow Pads fans, they are chimed in with that exact demand. Meaning the headliner going their way had to be our untouchable (Beckham of course). So it goes without saying that these posts always have two sides to them.

Adrian Gonzalez is only 27 years old! He plays a position that wont wear him down anytime soon and he is in the prime of his career! I would offer whatever it would take (from our minors) to land this guy. I would HATE to deal away Flowers, Hudson or Mitchell, but lets face it, we have a 2 year window at winning another title. Buerhle's contract expires after 2011, who knows whats going to happen with AJ and Konerko next year? Who will replace Pierre once his contract expires? This maybe the only opportunity to land a guy of this caliber- and he may indeed help put us over the top- TWICE!

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Feb 6, 2010 -> 10:30 AM)
DA, to be objective when I got laughed out of a couple of other boards for just (Just I say) proposing a base of Hudson/Flowers/Morel to fellow Pads fans, they are chimed in with that exact demand. Meaning the headliner going their way had to be our untouchable (Beckham of course). So it goes without saying that these posts always have two sides to them.

Of course, but really if KW could get a guy who hits 40 homers with a .400 OBP plays GG defense and makes what they will pay Mark Teahan for a bunch of prospects that wouldn't be in some teams' top 5, it would be a steal. I think, at present, there is no way SD would trade Gonzalez for the package some are suggesting. Hudson, Flowers, Danks. Viciedo. Now if some of those guys take off this spring, maybe things change. Of course, maybe they change and the White Sox don't want to move the players.

The thing is, if the roles were reversed and the Sox had Gonzalez, this board would be laughing at the proposals put up, and probably rightfully so. I just can't remember a player who instantly becomes an MVP candidate for a contender, ever becoming available with his current contractual situation.Texiera was traded in a similar situation, but he made more than double what Gonzalez is going to make before his contract expired, and look at the package ATL gave up for him.

Edited by Dick Allen

Of course, but really if KW could get a guy who hits 40 homers with a .400 OBP plays GG defense and makes what they will pay Mark Teahan for a bunch of prospects that wouldn't be in some teams' top 5, it would be a steal. I think, at present, there is no way SD would trade Gonzalez for the package some are suggesting. Hudson, Flowers, Danks. Viciedo. Now if some of those guys take off this spring, maybe things change. Of course, maybe they change and the White Sox don't want to move the players.

The thing is, if the roles were reversed and the Sox had Gonzalez, this board would be laughing at the proposals put up, and probably rightfully so. I just can't remember a player who instantly becomes an MVP candidate for a contender, ever becoming available with his current contractual situation.Texiera was traded in a similar situation, but he made more than double what Gonzalez is going to make before his contract expired.

DA, I hear ya but the other main point to all of this is market size and income potential or past income. JR has been successful already and has a ring and the Pads cannot hope to break the 40 million dollar number in payroll for at least another year and maybe up to 50-55 at best. They cannot hope to lure free agents that way (Marquee ones) and hope to pay arbitration-eligible players who start to produce in the coming 2 years. So that is why the other method of compensation for them is to look at Pre-Arb players who have under control for peanuts for at least 2 if not 3 years. You get that with Hudson/Flowers/MOrel already (9 full pre-arb years) which in today´s market is nothing to laugh at. OK we all know that delivering on potential is a crap shoot but some of the that should be cleared up at least 2 months into the season of at the end of May. If we really look at this also objectively just as the Pads are not in any immediate pressure to unload AGon I would imagine KW is thinking he is not under any huge pressure to try and deliver AGon to the fans. Dunno just my view of it all.

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Feb 6, 2010 -> 10:49 AM)
DA, I hear ya but the other main point to all of this is market size and income potential or past income. JR has been successful already and has a ring and the Pads cannot hope to break the 40 million dollar number in payroll for at least another year and maybe up to 50-55 at best. They cannot hope to lure free agents that way (Marquee ones) and hope to pay arbitration-eligible players who start to produce in the coming 2 years. So that is why the other method of compensation for them is to look at Pre-Arb players who have under control for peanuts for at least 2 if not 3 years. You get that with Hudson/Flowers/MOrel already (9 full pre-arb years) which in today´s market is nothing to laugh at. OK we all know that delivering on potential is a crap shoot but some of the that should be cleared up at least 2 months into the season of at the end of May. If we really look at this also objectively just as the Pads are not in any immediate pressure to unload AGon I would imagine KW is thinking he is not under any huge pressure to try and deliver AGon to the fans. Dunno just my view of it all.

I understand that, but Gonzalez only makes $5 million in 2010 and anther $5 million in 2011. His contract is not a budget breaker by any sort. After 2011, it will be obviously. There are going to be more than just the White Sox interested in his services. As they get closer to the deadline, perhaps more teams would want to get involved. Currently, most teams would probably be able to trump any package the White Sox put together. This isn't like the Peavy deal where teams are out A. Because he's hurt. B. Because of a NTC or C. Because he has a ton of money left on his deal. Just about every MLB would find a way to bend their budget to bring AGonzalez in at $5 million per. The White Sox prospects need to move up the SD org's ranking list this spring and early summer.

Today on White Sox weekly, Mike Gonzalez mentioned that A-Gon will likely be dealt, its only a matter of time. The team with the best chance to get him are the Red Sox. Jed Hoyer was the former Assistant GM for the Red Sox and has a great relationship w/ Epstien. With the Red Sox deep farm- and Hoyer's knowledge of all of those prospects, it would be really hard to match up with them.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Feb 6, 2010 -> 01:45 PM)
As much as it pains me to say this, I bet Adrian Gonzalez does end up with the red sox. We'll just have to hope that Viciedo or Flowers turns out to be a big bat like that in a year of 2 when they make it up here...

Even if we did trade for him, he'd probably be playing for the BoSox in 2012 anyway.

QUOTE (Mattchoo @ Feb 6, 2010 -> 06:53 AM)
In my opinion, you do everything and anything that doesn't include Hudson. Dan Hudson looks like a core player for future Sox to me

I feel there could be possibilities using Alexei or Floyd as the center piece.

Some of the scenarios I'm seeing above don't make sense to me. How often are there 5 for 1, or 6 for 1, swaps in MLB trades.

I mentioned this trade a long time ago, but how about Floyd, Flowers, Mitchell or D2, Morel, and one other prospect for Gonzo and Young. Going from memory that saves the Padres like 7M this year. Floyd>>>>>>>>>>Young

Trading Alexei or Floyd to be able to hold on to Hudson is not a way to build. Both are a lot more essential to the core of the Sox.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Feb 6, 2010 -> 12:30 PM)
Today on White Sox weekly, Mike Gonzalez mentioned that A-Gon will likely be dealt, its only a matter of time. The team with the best chance to get him are the Red Sox. Jed Hoyer was the former Assistant GM for the Red Sox and has a great relationship w/ Epstien. With the Red Sox deep farm- and Hoyer's knowledge of all of those prospects, it would be really hard to match up with them.

My one hope is that Hoyer asks for prospects he knows are really good, and Epstein might bite.

Just because they have worked together and know each other too well does not mean an automatic guarantee Epstein will land AGon. A slight advantage maybe but I say you never know in MLB.

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Feb 6, 2010 -> 02:21 PM)
Just because they have worked together and know each other too well does not mean an automatic guarantee Epstein will land AGon. A slight advantage maybe but I say you never know in MLB.

Frankly, if we want to deal for him, several things are going to need to happen. Hudson's going to have to keep stepping up all year. Perhaps Mitchell also. And we're going to have to have our primed-to-fail DH situation fail. And we're going to have to have everything else on our team succeeding.