What Did You Want To Be When You Grew Up?

HuskyCaucasian

When we were kids, we all probably latched onto something and said "when I grow up, I want to be a...". Maybe some of us did grow up to do that, while others of us did not.

What did you want to be when you grew up? And, did you in fact grow up to do that?

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sports broadcaster: As a kid I sat in front of my N64 and Playstation (playing sports games with the volume on mute) just listening to the likes of "The Huge Show," "McNeil, Jurko and Harry" and obviously White Sox baseball. I thought it would be great to sit all day and talk, rant and rave about Chicago sports. I even visited ESPN Radio 1000's studio when Len Weiner was the program director at WMVP. I was given a tour and a brief overview of the media industry. He told me, based off his own experience, to go into something else. Little did I know you had to be good to be a talent on the radio and that you'd have to start out small, oftentimes making next to nothing in small town for several years before you got your break. I really sucked on play-by-play and did radio just to listen to music anyway.

Sports writer: Much of my high school career was devoted to writing for the school newspaper, and I thought I was as talented as could be. It turns out that I churned out some of the worst stories ever but I could edit and use the page maker like a boss. When I was at EIU I wrote briefly for the paper, discovered that I hated the long hours and tedious work that went with being a sports writer. Again, without an advanced degree (a vast majority NU grads write for the Tribune's sports section) and a lack of passion for the work, I decided that wasn't for me. But I gave it a shot anyway.

A surgeon: I watched a lot of ER as a kid and thought that it would be great to be Dr. Peter Benton. You know, have several women to sleep with, take care of a cute kid, run along the lakefront and totally kick ass at his job while getting paid an assload. The problem is that I'm not good at science and I'm only decent at mathematics so I couldn't pursue that. I haven't ruled out a healthcare position yet after I get my bachelor's degree. It'd be kind of cool going into some sort of EMT work.

An astronaut: I loved watching October Sky as a kid.

Realistically right now I'd love to be a PR Manager, a Healthcare manager, a Marketing manager or to work for a sports organization. Other than that, I've got nothing.

When I was in 3rd grade or so I wanted to be an astronaut like pretty much all kids. Later on I wanted to be a machinist (wtf? I don't know) and by the time I was a teenager I wanted to be either an electrical engineer or an IT tech. I had an internship with Lucent Technologies before they went under and all that fun stuff and I decided engineering was boring so I was going to major in computer science. Then I impulsively joined the Army and eventually ended up doing government consulting which is NOTHING AT ALL like ANYTHING I pictured myself doing when I was a kid.

QUOTE (SnB @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 09:27 PM)
frank thomas.

that swing contributed to my little league downfall.

Ya I was the same, cept I wanted to be like Ken Griffey Jr. I played CF, batted lefty and had the same stance till high school because of him. I did go through the whole Astronaut stage when I was a tike as well.

And who didn't want to be like Jordan also?

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SnB @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 09:27 PM)
frank thomas.

that swing contributed to my little league downfall.

same. I even had my back leg lift off the ground as I made contact like the hurt. I didn't try to do it, but I thought it was pretty damn cool that I did the same unconventional thing as my hero.

Wanted to be a baseball player, but couldn't even hit in little league, so gave that up pretty fast. For some reason that I can't remember, Forest Ranger seemed like a nice occupation to me, until sometime in high school I discovered that they make next to nothing, so gave that up too. Entertained the idea of politics in college, but with all the crap I did there, would never fly. Ended up in printing, which is so far away from anything I was thinking of, you would have never guessed.

When I was a little kid, I wanted to be a pilot for the Blue Angels. But, since I have been wearing glasses (with atrocious eye sight) since I was 5, that wasn't likely. For a long time, I wanted to be a meteorologist. I'm still a weather nut and since being a meteorologist is out of the question now, maybe I'll just be a storm chaser.