What Did You Want To Be When You Grew Up?

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 10:20 PM)
Ditto. I actually commend you for going at least. I personally didn't want to try it and be stuck deep in the negative in terms of credit not to mention I hate school (you were probably alot better in grades than I was, I was more of the popular bad dude). I'm thinking about going to college in 2010 though after a near five year lay-off since now I know the field I'm probably going to go into at least.

You're a really intelligent guy...you should definitely go.

And you were soooo not popular. :lizard

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 10:20 PM)
Ditto. I actually commend you for going at least. I personally didn't want to try it and be stuck deep in the negative in terms of credit not to mention I hate school (you were probably alot better in grades than I was, I was more of the popular bad dude). I'm thinking about going to college in 2010 though after a near five year lay-off since now I know the field I'm probably going to go into at least.

Where are you going to school and what for? There's a lot of nice accelerated degree programs within the chicagoland area.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 10:22 PM)
Brooks? Nice, man!

Yeah, it was quite the informative interview. I wrote the letter, called him up a month later as I said I would in terms of following up and he got back to me about a month later. They seem rather busy...

QUOTE (The Beast @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 11:57 PM)
Where are you going to school and what for? There's a lot of nice accelerated degree programs within the chicagoland area.

Still undecided of the school as of now and even if I want to go in the spring or summer (I know.. gotta make up my mind quick) but more than likely.. Criminal Justice will be my field.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Nov 14, 2009 -> 01:47 AM)
Such could be debated.

Seriously though, ace is not that dumb.

Oh why thank you A.J. That means alot comming from you. :D

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 09:22 PM)
*thumbs up*

Considering where you live, are you going to teach it in Spanglish?

:lol:

According to the demographics, there are a few white kids and a black kid somewhere. The other 1000+ students are Hispanic, and almost everyone is bilingual. I remember being amazed in high school when we had a bilingual foreign exchange student, I thought it was so cool to speak two languages. For these kids it is a way of life. I do have two recent immigrants who do not speak English, the other kids translate and we're doing fine.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 14, 2009 -> 03:10 AM)
Still undecided of the school as of now and even if I want to go in the spring or summer (I know.. gotta make up my mind quick) but more than likely.. Criminal Justice will be my field.

UIC or Western Illinois has Criminal Justice, those were the first two that came to mind.

QUOTE (The Beast @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 10:15 PM)
Where do you go and what have you thought about as a profession? I have a friend like you who has a 2.1 high school GPA and a 35 on his ACT and he feels the same way about school. Do they have a work-study program for you at school? That might help.

I went to sign up for classes today at SAU and on my way up towards Peoria, I received a call from Mr. Boyer. I asked him about what kind of degree I'd need (PR or business), if they care about what school you went to, how work experience is weighed against an MBA and things of that nature. He pretty much said it doesn't matter what kind of degree I get, though a business degree would be more helpful than a communication studies degree, that the school you attend doesn't matter and that they don't care if you have an MBA, that work experience in the industry is valuable and weighed heavily. I was pleased to see him take time out of his day to talk to me, even if it was for just 10 minutes! So that was exciting.

I've said it before, and I will say it again. Brooks Boyer is an all around great guy. He is a huge find for the Sox.

:notworthy

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2009 -> 11:39 AM)
I've said it before, and I will say it again. Brooks Boyer is an all around great guy. He is a huge find for the Sox.

When my son earned his Eagle Scout rank, we solicited congratulation letters from a wide range of people, from Presidents to sports teams. By far the coolest letters came from the White Sox (who also tossed in a cap), the Cowboys, Nintendo (wrote a great letter, talked about Eagle Scouts at their company), and EA Games who sent him a soon to be released racing game.

80% of the letters where very generic, congrats on your special day, type thing. They could use it for birthdays, anniversaries, etc. About half a dozen wrote letters that were actually personalized enough to stand out, the White Sox were one of those.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 14, 2009 -> 02:41 PM)
:notworthy

When my son earned his Eagle Scout rank, we solicited congratulation letters from a wide range of people, from Presidents to sports teams. By far the coolest letters came from the White Sox (who also tossed in a cap), the Cowboys, Nintendo (wrote a great letter, talked about Eagle Scouts at their company), and EA Games who sent him a soon to be released racing game.

80% of the letters where very generic, congrats on your special day, type thing. They could use it for birthdays, anniversaries, etc. About half a dozen wrote letters that were actually personalized enough to stand out, the White Sox were one of those.

Knowing their history, that doesn't surprise me at all.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 14, 2009 -> 03:10 AM)

Oh why thank you A.J. That means alot comming from you. :D

Well, if you decide to do something not criminal justice & more in the arts and/or entertainment field. You could join us in the "SoxTalkers who go to Columbia College" club. I believe there are only 2 of us at the moment.