Will PK be traded?

Lemon_44

What do you think the chances are the PK gets moved this off season? Omar Minaya has come out and said he wants a run producing 1B. Well, PK is a run producing 1B, money is no issue for the Mets, and he and KW seem to have a pretty good relationship. Williams has said he'd like a LH bat. How about PK and Jenks packaged around a deal for Daniel Murphy and Fernando Martinez? That would free up alot of money from the Sox side of things and the Mets would get their 1B and a guy to replace Putz in the bullpen. I don't know what the Mets think of Martinez these days because of injuries and he hit under .200 this year but he was an elite propsect. The Sox could then use the freed up money to acquire a guy like Dunn or another power hitter that the lineup would need.

I wouldn't be shocked if he was. I've posted a few times throughout the board that I think PK would be a good fit for a NL team that is looking for a little offense and can take on a little payroll, ie the Mets or the Giants.

I don't think the Sox would get a huge haul for him, it would be something where KW would do it for payroll room. I'd say it's less than 50%, but a possibility.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 09:01 AM)
You would trade one of the faces of the organization for Daniel Murphy and Fernando Martinez? I'll tell you what, you better have Adrian Gonzalez in a trade the very next day or you'll have an empty ball park IMHO.

Overreacting just a bit?

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 09:01 AM)
You would trade one of the faces of the organization for Daniel Murphy and Fernando Martinez? I'll tell you what, you better have Adrian Gonzalez in a trade the very next day or you'll have an empty ball park IMHO.

That trade is only unlikely because it would be one of Kenny's biggest steals in his history as a general manager. A more accurate deal would be Paulie to the Mets for basically nothing, or Paulie + cash to the Mets for Murphy. Clearing $12M off the payroll while adding that much talent in return for a player like Paulie is a pipedream.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 10:21 AM)
That trade is only unlikely because it would be one of Kenny's biggest steals in his history as a general manager. A more accurate deal would be Paulie to the Mets for basically nothing, or Paulie + cash to the Mets for Murphy. Clearing $12M off the payroll while adding that much talent in return for a player like Paulie is a pipedream.

I think your opinion of Murphy is a bit too high. I've seen the kid play quite a bit, looked at the metrics, he has no pop at all. He's got a decent approach at the plate, and his glove won't kill you, but he's not worthy Paulie. Martinez, however, with his upside likely is.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 11:26 AM)
I think your opinion of Murphy is a bit too high. I've seen the kid play quite a bit, looked at the metrics, he has no pop at all. He's got a decent approach at the plate, and his glove won't kill you, but he's not worthy Paulie. Martinez, however, with his upside likely is.

Paulie + his contract

If anything it gives KW flexibility in terms of payroll.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 07:21 AM)

It was Paulie and Jenks I believe.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 09:31 AM)
I'd still prefer a better return for PK. Certainly, if dumping his money could assure a lateral move, i'd get on board, i'm just not sure it would.

The biggest problem with dumping PK is that if we look at the 1b/DH types on the market, a lot of them could be had for decent salary...but I'm not sure there's any of them other than LaRoche that I think could handle being an everyday 1b without their body breaking down. Thome, Blalock, Delgado, Johnson, Branyan.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 11:31 AM)
I'd still prefer a better return for PK. Certainly, if dumping his money could assure a lateral move, i'd get on board, i'm just not sure it would.

I'd love a better return for Paulie too, but at his salary it's not happening. I'm not overrating Murphy either, I just can't see Paulie bringing back even that much unless we take on salary or eat salary. Paulie is probably about a $7-8M player in this market and he's getting paid $12M.

Paulie had a good year last year and can still play. Not every team thinks our players are s***. Paulie returned to his old form last year, lot of key hits that were not home runs. I don't know why his salary would scare off teams that have money.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 01:33 PM)
Paulie had a good year last year and can still play. Not every team thinks our players are s***. Paulie returned to his old form last year, lot of key hits that were not home runs. I don't know why his salary would scare off teams that have money.

Because you don't pay a 1B $12M (especially when he's 34 years old) to do what Konerko did last year, ranking in the bottom 25% of qualified 1B. From '04 to '06 Konerko was a hell of a hitter and no doubt worth $12M but at this point in his career he's a decent 1B being paid far too much in a bad economy. Some team is going to sign Adam LaRoche for ~$7M a season and get nearly identical production.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 03:30 PM)
What do you think the chances are the PK gets moved this off season? Omar Minaya has come out and said he wants a run producing 1B. Well, PK is a run producing 1B, money is no issue for the Mets, and he and KW seem to have a pretty good relationship. Williams has said he'd like a LH bat. How about PK and Jenks packaged around a deal for Daniel Murphy and Fernando Martinez? That would free up alot of money from the Sox side of things and the Mets would get their 1B and a guy to replace Putz in the bullpen. I don't know what the Mets think of Martinez these days because of injuries and he hit under .200 this year but he was an elite propsect. The Sox could then use the freed up money to acquire a guy like Dunn or another power hitter that the lineup would need.

Unlikely.

Now that I think about it, the best argument for why someone like PK might be movable despite the salary is the one I just gave; the guys who are available in the FA market are guys who really shouldn't be playing defense everyday. PK can still do that. If I'm someone like the Mets, I probably don't give up my top guy given his contract, but I might be willing to pay extra to avoid having a gaping hole there.

Problem is...we'd be left with no one to fill the hole ourselves.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 03:09 PM)
Now that I think about it, the best argument for why someone like PK might be movable despite the salary is the one I just gave; the guys who are available in the FA market are guys who really shouldn't be playing defense everyday. PK can still do that. If I'm someone like the Mets, I probably don't give up my top guy given his contract, but I might be willing to pay extra to avoid having a gaping hole there.

Problem is...we'd be left with no one to fill the hole ourselves.

Our definite current holes: DH, RF, bullpen lefty

Let's say for the sake of argument that we've got about $6M left to spend right now. It's a lot easier to fill 4 holes with $18M than it is to fill 3 holes with $6M.

Edit: For that reason I'd gladly give Paulie away for a non-prospect assuming the acquiring team would eat all of that contract.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 02:03 PM)

Let's say for the sake of argument that we've got about $6M left to spend right now. It's a lot easier to fill 4 holes with $18M than it is to fill 3 holes with $6M.

Unless you have to over-spend to fill one of those holes (i.e. you have to spend $10 mil a year on Laroche because he's the only guy on the market who can play 1b).

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 04:03 PM)

Edit: For that reason I'd gladly give Paulie away for a non-prospect assuming the acquiring team would eat all of that contract.

I wish Reinsdorf would just give Kenny the friggin' green light to sign the players that we need to win. The guy probably makes a boat load of money every year from the team. I'm not saying go crazy like the yankees, but if the difference is 5-10 mil here and there, then JUST DO IT...

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 04:23 PM)
I wish Reinsdorf would just give Kenny the friggin' green light to sign the players that we need to win. The guy probably makes a boat load of money every year from the team. I'm not saying go crazy like the yankees, but if the difference is 5-10 mil here and there, then JUST DO IT...

Are you even aware of ownership situation of the White Sox?

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 04:33 PM)
Maybe not. Enlighten me...

Jerry Reinsdorf only owns a portion of the team, he's the chairman of the ownership board so he doesn't have full rule over the club he has an obligation to the other share holders. They're not making a profit, they just try to break even every year.